Original plans for Iruini and Norik?

Illuminatus

Does anybody have any idea at which point the original plans for the two Toa Hagah sets in 2005 were "scrapped"? I mean, we've been told they were initially meant to be Toa Nidhiki and Dume, however, were the sets looking pretty much like their final versions when LEGO changed their identities (meaning prototype sets and boxes were created, similar to the way there's a Hakann box that says "Brutaka") or were those plans discarded at a considerably earlier point? Thanks. :P

Edited by Surreality

I have no idea, because I had never even heard until now that the sets were repurposed. :P Now that you mention it though, it explains why the Kiril was used to represent the Pehkui instead of a brand new mold.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Well, Nidhiki had a mask of stealth, but the quick-tele mask mold was probably originally made as the stealth mask.
I think Irunis mask looks a little like Nidihkis face IMOEDIT: IDK how they could have fitted into the story line though. maybe Dume, but Nidihki was dead Edited by Alterego

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

That Dume-Norik mask connection just blew my mind XD

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I always knew they had the same mask... I just thought they were being cheap and didn't want to make a new mold... but that totally makes a lot of sense. I wish they had made the whole team for the Hagah instead of just those two :sWasn't Dume not on the same team as Nidhiki though? How would that have worked.

Edited by Flex Capacitor

Wasn't Dume not on the same team as Nidhiki though? How would that have worked.
I don't think that was decided until after the sets came out. Remember, Greg always said story follows sets.As for the whole character-switch thing, yeah, I remember hearing that they were supposed to be Nidhiki and Norik, though why they were changed, I have no idea. I'd theorize that it was supposed to be a flashback set, showing the characters from times long past. But, I guess we may never know the reason.signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Don't quote me on this, but from what I remember Greg needed forms for Toa Iruini and Norik, and it didn't make sense to release Nidhiki and Dume (as they were not even Toa on the same team), so he re-purposed those sets for those characters.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Seriously, did none of you really know that? I'm guessing it was really underground. :P
Yeah honestly after I read the OP post, I found my brain telling me this exact thing.Seeing as Nidhiki was one of my favorite Toa-that-never-was (set wise), and Iruini and Norik were easily my favorite sets of the time, I have no idea how I missed this?The similarities are striking. Infact, I MOCed a Toa Nidhiki using Defilaks Kanohi Kualsi... And considering Dume and Norik have the same Kanohi/Similar colors...This is one of the biggest mind blows I've had in a while.- Taka

BZPChat

Very logic indeed:Norik = FireDume= FireNidhiki = AirIruini. = Air The kanohi too , Norik's represents ha kiril rememberAnd Iruini's must have been the original idee of a kanohi voltiakMy idea, nothing changed to the sets, there names were just altered,and were granted rothuka shields

I'm back!

I imagine they changed the identities because it was easier to work in a Toa Hagah flashback than a Toa Mangai or Toa Dume one. Plus, if Toa Nidhiki would have retained the pronounced chestplate, it would have looked rather disproportionate to that of Lhikan, the team leader. But, had they released a Toa Nidhiki and Toa Dume without the extra chest armor, they would have just been Toa Metru rehashes. It makes sense for the elite Hagah to have them.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I remember hearing about this way back when - I guess people have gradually forgotten about it. But yeah, looking at the design for most of them, they call back to their characters, set-wise mostly.For Instance: Iruni's Chestplate = Nidhiki's Chestplate; Kulasi = Nidhki's Head; Norik's Chestplate = Turaga Dume's body... etc.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't Dume not on the same team as Nidhiki though? How would that have worked.

No, Nidhiki was Lhikan team, the Toa Mangai. Dume gave him his power to Lhikan, and in doing so thus became Turaga.

Norik and Iruni were originally designed to be Dume and Nidihki, but problems arose that were not Toa in the same time, and then decided to change the characters.

Nidhiki had coincided with Lhikan that came the same year.

Edited by LARU 867

PS: sorry for errors, blame the translator.

biofighter_banner_platform.png
http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=418]

I had the Toa Hagah once, and I did indeed know about this before coming here. Reading this makes me want those sets again. The Metru/Hordika saga was always my favorite in terms of design and aesthetic.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Ah, yes, I do indeed remember hearing about that long ago. For me, I always saw the resemblance and even thought like for Iruini, "This could work for Nidhiki if you reworked him a bit." The mask even resembles Nidhiki's head a bit, so you can even say his head was a mutated version of the mask.

For Norik, I flat out saw he looked a lot like Turaga Dume with the same mask and even the body piece. Just color them different, take away the a few things, and he could pass as a Turaga Dume set. So I did have a feeling they were meant to perhaps be representations of Nidhiki and possibly Dume (although it doesn't make sense why they'd have them both together like that) as possible call backs to past Toa we hadn't seen in the story before, at least not as "Toa," maybe as promotional sets that maybe didn't play a part in the story... I mean since Nidhiki got turned into a mutant Dark Hunter that got "eaten" by Makuta, and Dume was a Turaga who didn't play much of a role in 2005.

So with that, I'm guessing as others have pointed out, plans to make them be Nidhiki and Dume were scrapped, but the models were kept so that Greg could use them for Toa Norik and Toa Iruini for the flashback sequence detailing the origins of the Rahaga, and could easily be the reason why there are only 2 Toa Hagah and not 6. That, and I'm guess it'd be a stretch to release 6 promotional sets like that, so 2 would be safer. That's just my guess.

Yeah, six Special Edition sets wouldn't have been very special. Plus, they'd probably have costed more than they'd have generated. I do like how there were only two Toa Hagah in the comic, because it let us really see how these two characters were. Norik was easily penned down as a brave and fearless leader, willing to challenge the Brotherhood without a second thought because he cared so much for the Matoran and had faith the Great Spirit would guide him. Iruini was somewhat unconventional, believing the Hagah's power was squandered and trying to quit, but joining forces with Norik when he learned they were captured.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea, because I had never even heard until now that the sets were repurposed. :P Now that you mention it though, it explains why the Kiril was used to represent the Pehkui instead of a brand new mold.

That is why Iruni's mask looks like nhidiki's and why Norik's mask is Dumes.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

• 4 weeks later...

This has made my 2005 memories crash as the realization seeped into me :PThat makes absolute perfect sense; the colorschemes, the masks... I had always commented that the chest armor on Nidihki and Iruini (the bohrok claw) were the same mold, but I can't beleive I never made the connection! This certainly does explain a lot...I'm pretty torn now about whether I wish they had left them as Nidhiki and Dume, since having them as Toa (and those particular awesome sets) would have been amazing, or if my love for the Hagah wins out over that.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Guest AdaptingChaos

Oh my! This makes perfect sense!!! Iove the Toa Hagah! But I still wish that they kept Dume and Nidihki so then we could have had a chance of seeing the complete Toa Hagah team as sets :D

• 2 weeks later...

Taken directly from BS01 pages for Iruini and Norik:

"Toa Norik started out as a set design for Dume as a Toa."

"Initially, the set that became Toa Iruini was going to be Nidhiki in his Toa form."

Also, when you think about it, it mentions Norik having his Pehkui made in the form of a past Kiril wearing hero, so it would have worked for Dume.

Taken directly from BS01 pages for Iruini and Norik:

"Toa Norik started out as a set design for Dume as a Toa."

"Initially, the set that became Toa Iruini was going to be Nidhiki in his Toa form."

Also, when you think about it, it mentions Norik having his Pehkui made in the form of a past Kiril wearing hero, so it would have worked for Dume.

I wrote that. :)

And yeah, Norik's Kiril being shaped as a Pehkui is for that reason.

Am I the only one who also noticed that Dekar and Defilak have the Toa Hagah's masks?

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I always wondered about that too. It made me think that they were considering using the Kualsi mold in dark green (would've worked for Nidhiki) but changed it to gold to distinguish Iruini from him... then later liked the look and used it on Defilak. Otherwise it could've been, say, red. (Or that could be a coincidence. :P)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I always wondered about that too. It made me think that they were considering using the Kualsi mold in dark green (would've worked for Nidhiki) but changed it to gold to distinguish Iruini from him... then later liked the look and used it on Defilak. Otherwise it could've been, say, red. (Or that could be a coincidence. :P)

It just annoys me they never gave Sarda a recolored mask. The darn red Huna was used in three sets.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!