LEGO Batman Movie Announced

Expect to keep seeing the LEGO Dark Knight rise up again, this time in his own DC comics/LEGO movie! Announced at New York Comic Con this past weekend, the movie is expected to be out in 2013 and have major players from the DC universe, both good guys and bad guys, be present. A direct-to-home release is a safe bet. So when are we getting an animated LEGO Spider-Man film?View the full article

As if The Brave and the Bold wasn't bad enough?What's DC trying to do to Batman?

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Edited by My Name is Nuile

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

So we have two Lego movies that have licensed products in them :|I want the 90s back :(
You mean back when there were no Lego movies whatsoever? THOSE 90's?I don't collect licensed themes, but I think there's nothing wrong with Lego releasing direct-to-DVD movies of those adaptations. And as for Lego Batman and Superman showing up in the theatrical Lego movie, I doubt they'll be in too much of a starring role. They'll probably be just a few more characters, probably alongside non-licensed characters like Johnny Thunder or Jayko.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

As if The Brave and the Bold wasn't bad enough?What's DC trying to do to Batman?

I know, right? It's almost as if they're struggling to maintain a strong fanbase among young audiences because the comics and live-action movies have beome progressively darker.Oh wait. That's exactly what's happening. And personally, I don't have the slightest problem with it.One of the things I love about Batman is that he's such an iconic character that he can be interpreted any number of ways. We've seen this with the Christopher Nolan trilogy which radically reinterprets many parts of the Batman mythos, the TV series The Batman which created a number of heavily-stylized character designs, The Brave and the Bold which tries to recapture the novelty of classic "team-up" comics by teaming Batman up with lots of obscure DC Comics characters who might never appear in an animated series otherwise, and of course many older interpretations of Batman like the campy 60s TV series (which does have its fans, believe it or not) and the dark-- but not as gritty as the recent movies-- narratives from the Tim Burton movies. That's not even getting into some of the "Elseworlds" comics which re-imagine Batman in genres ranging from westerns to swashbuckling pirate adventures.Not sure which of the many interpretations of Batman is your personal preference, but I guarantee you that the elements of Batman that you loved will continue to resurface decade after decade. But that doesn't mean that more kid-oriented interpretations shouldn't exist. Batman is a multifaceted character who doesn't belong to any one group of fans, and his history as a character proves that.Looking forward to this movie if it manages to maintain the same iconic LEGO humor of the LEGO Batman video games. I hear the LEGO Star Wars TV specials have been quite entertaining (screenshots I've seen of them prove this, showing a lot of self-aware and continuity-based humor for adults and kids alike), and so I expect no different here. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

So we have two Lego movies that have licensed products in them :|I want the 90s back :(
You mean back when there were no Lego movies whatsoever? THOSE 90's?
Yeah. At least there weren't licensed themes being crammed into back then. Except Star Wars at the turn, but that was okay-ish at first.

GREEN RED BRICK, YOU STAY!!!

...are you ready to le

Yeah. At least there weren't licensed themes being crammed into back then. Except Star Wars at the turn, but that was okay-ish at first.
What was OK-ish about the early Star Wars theme? Certainly not the sets, which tended to have quite a bit of juniorization much like many LEGO themes of the late 90s. The more recent Star Wars sets are light-years ahead of those sets in terms of complexity, and have kept pretty much the same in terms of scale in many cases. Plus, we have the brilliant LEGO Star Wars video games, the (from what I've seen and heard) hilariousness of The Padawan Menace, and perhaps most importantly, The LEGO Group's continued success and familiarity as a brand. Not to mention BIONICLE, which might never have come about if it weren't for the success of LEGO Star Wars.

I knew it!Back when they announced that Batman would be appearing in the big Lego movie, I was thinking that perhaps they were trying to start up a separate Batman continuity in the LEGOverse. Looks like that's what's happening, although I find it odd that they're releasing this before the main Lego movie- I think the plot and writing would be better if it was a spinoff of the main film.

Edited by Alyska

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

What was OK-ish about the early Star Wars theme? Certainly not the sets, which tended to have quite a bit of juniorization much like many LEGO themes of the late 90s. The more recent Star Wars sets are light-years ahead of those sets in terms of complexity, and have kept pretty much the same in terms of scale in many cases. Plus, we have the brilliant LEGO Star Wars video games, the (from what I've seen and heard) hilariousness of The Padawan Menace, and perhaps most importantly, The LEGO Group's continued success and familiarity as a brand. Not to mention BIONICLE, which might never have come about if it weren't for the success of LEGO Star Wars.
Of course Star Wars now is better. What I meant was, I don't like the sheer numbers of licensed themes out there, and while Star Wars is good (certainly the best licensed theme) it's at fault for causing this fad. But oh well, I think the Batman stuff is doing okay too since it's not trying to base itself off of a movie.

GREEN RED BRICK, YOU STAY!!!

...are you ready to le

Of course Star Wars now is better. What I meant was, I don't like the sheer numbers of licensed themes out there, and while Star Wars is good (certainly the best licensed theme) it's at fault for causing this fad. But oh well, I think the Batman stuff is doing okay too since it's not trying to base itself off of a movie.
I do agree with that last point. I think Batman, and by extension the DC Superheroes line, is maybe my favorite licensed theme because of how, rather than trying too hard to base itself on any one incarnation of the series, it creates original depictions of iconic vehicles, characters, etc. rather than limiting itself to whatever media is currently in the pop-culture spotlight. Of course, there have been two sets which drew heavily from the movies as they came out in theaters, but so long as the other sets are there to add variety that's not much of a problem. The Spongebob license fits into the same category of creating unique depictions of motifs from a series.My second favorite kind of licensed theme is the variety that does try to depict scenes and props from a series exactly as they appeared, but can draw from a wide enough pool of media that this hardly matters. Star Wars did this and continues to do so; a year's worth of sets might include vehicles or scenes from every movie as well as some expanded universe materials. Early Harry Potter did this to some extent before falling into the trap of releasing only sets to tie in with the current movie, at least until it returned to form with the theme's revival which once again drew from the full series. Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Caribbean did this by necessity, since they jumped into a series midway, but the latter two both had a somewhat less impressive wave to tie in with the newest movies in their respective series. This category can potentially contain most TV series as well, unless the sets choose to focus only on the newest stories while neglecting scenes from earlier seasons (or, like the Avatar: The Last Airbender theme, the theme ends before the sets and show have a chance to expand their scope).My least favorite type of licensed theme is the kind that is released solely to tie in to a movie release. You know the kind: Speed Racer, Prince of Persia, heck, even the Marvel Superheroes line fell somewhat into this trap by focusing their initial wave only on the then-upcoming Avengers movie. These themes suffer for their lack of breadth, and even if the sets prove awesome in their own right, the ephemeral nature of these movies mean that these themes are doomed from the moment the movie fails to perform as expected.Note that, from what we know of this year and next year's themes, most fall into the first two categories. For this reason, I'm not concerned that Lego has too many licensed themes for their own good, since most of those themes can continue to put out good-quality sets. And meanwhile, Lego continues to amaze with their own in-house themes, which I personally collect almost exclusively.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This just looks like the LEGO Batman game cutscenes stitched together to form a movie :/ Hopefully they put more than that in.

Actually, Brave and the Bold was a fantastic adaptation and representation of the silver age Batman, back when he used to team up with tonnes of other heroes in the Brave and the Bold comics. They manage to keep Batman in character (all serious and no-nonsense), while allowing other more goofy personalities to bounce off him. It's just good, plain fun, that show - something newer fans are alien to, since most recent incarnations of Batman are all dark and awesome. I'm just saying that you need to consider that Batman doesn't always have to be dark to be good. :)However, I'm a bit wary of "Beware the Batman" (pun unintended) mainly because I don't really know the direction they are trying to take and I don't particularly like 3D animation for TV shows :P (well, since they normally look too stiff, but hey, maybe this will be different).

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Been doing some looking, and it seems that the movie is just the Lego Batman 2 cutscenes put together.If this is what the "movie" will be, then that's beyond pathetic.
Seriously? Does it even have voice acting, or is it all pantomimey/slapstick?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Been doing some looking, and it seems that the movie is just the Lego Batman 2 cutscenes put together.If this is what the "movie" will be, then that's beyond pathetic.
Seriously? Does it even have voice acting, or is it all pantomimey/slapstick?
Batman 2 had real voice actors, so the minifigs actually had real conversations. Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

• 5 weeks later...