Fascinating New Faber Files

It's been a while since we've had an update from everyone's favorite LEGO/Bionicle artist, Christian Faber. But this week, the silence has been broken! Feast your eyes on a range of concept sketches and 3D models both old and new, all centered on the earliest stages of the Bionicle story. The most interesting portion of this new blog post is probably the storyboard sketch of the animated sequence that was, for many, the very first presentation of the Bionicle legend. Interested? Of course you are. <a href='http://faberfiles.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-bionicle-legend-told-in-stone-and.html' target='offsite'>Click here</a> to unleash the nostalgia.View the full article

I love those sketches, possibly even more than the animation itself. The storyboard is exceptionally nostalgic, and I finally made the connection of a sinking Mata Nui and the Matoran moving on top of him to the Great Spirit Robot.

Edited by Paleo

It looks like the MNOLG cutscene may have been based directly off of the first sketch - a lot of the camera positioning is the same. Interestingly, though, the animation on the CD for which the storyboard was made is very different, taking the story and showing it all from the same angle.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Nostalgia rush!Good old Mata Nui theme. :)What I found to be a special treat was the one image of Whenua telling the legend to Onua. What's special about this is that this image is one of a group that were released in the back of the instructions for the Bohrok sets. There were about a dozen tiny images, each telling a small story about a typical event on the island during the Bohrok invasion. They were fun, colorful, rare, and tiny. For a long time, all we had were very low-res scans of them.But now, this is a relatively very hi-resolution copy of this previously tiny and rare image. You didn't get many computer graphics with the Turaga in them, and this is a very neat scene.And with Onua being my favorite Toa Mata, and Whenua being my favorite Turaga... :biggrin: It's a real treat.

Edited by Tehurye

Believe it or not, I actually never saw the original video, unless you count the MNOLG cinematic. Looking at these pictures, the scenes where Mata Nui's stone topples over and the Matoran stones cluster on top of it strike me as incredibly well-executed foreshadowing for the 2008 reveal.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )