• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Matoran Traits & Such -- Gravity?

Trait

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Gravity Question (127 member(s) have cast votes)

Which suggested Matoran elemental trait do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,546 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 08:06 PM

NOTE: Although this was originally started as a Story Squad project, fan-canonization is not at this time being done due to Greg's situation. So these polls are (for now at least) merely for curiosity's sake -- what are the most popular of the suggestions that were made?Source post compiled by fishers64, suggestions by many BZPers. Quotes of original suggestion posts included there.fishers' summary:

Ba-Matoran (missing elemental trait)Suggestions: Sensing of which way gravity is, jumping higher because of lesser gravity, “toleration of large pressure forces such as huge weight being placed on top”, being heavier, natural sense of balance, being heavier or lighter, resistance to gravity

The fanon Expanded Multiverse will likely adopt whatever is chosen in these polls as EM-canon, subject to final call by Swert and myself. I would also suggest that fans consider treating the winner as "headcanon" to use in fanfics, though ultimately such decisions are up to each fanfic writer.

#2 Offline Cosmic Titan

Cosmic Titan
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,100 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 08:17 PM

I would think they would have a stronger sense of balance.

#3 Offline LewaLew

LewaLew
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 3,372 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would think they would have a stronger sense of balance.

I agree. It's more of a trait than a power, which fits Matoran better.

#4 Offline The Legendary TNT

The Legendary TNT
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 660 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 08:45 PM

Oh... I'm the only one who thinks it should be the resistance to pressure thing...Awkward...

new_sig_legacy_2.png

#5 Offline Click

Click
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,276 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 09:50 PM

No, I agree with that. It sounds very logical.

~click.gif

kanohibanner.gif

BZPRPG (inactive)The Scarabax Library | Flickr | Deviantart

#6 Offline Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 328 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 26 2012 - 11:16 AM

Likewise. Pressure resistance is really more fitting than the others, which are either too powerful for ordinary Matoran, or only very loosely connected to Gravity at all."Songs that the Hyades shall sing, / Where flap the tatters of the King, / Must die unheard in / Dim Carcosa."

Logo.jpg                                                                    There was a time when the world was plunging into darkness...a time of witchcraft and sorcery, when no-one stood against evil.

That time...is over.

#7 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,715 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 26 2012 - 08:33 PM

I voted "Strong Sense of Balance". Again, I don't like the idea that Matoran traits should be super-powers, but rather more like finely-attuned natural abilities. Anything more than that makes the abilities of the traditional elements seem underwhelming and the abilities of the Toa less magical. And "strong sense of balance" fits that brilliantly IMO.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#8 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 26 2012 - 09:11 PM

Well, I went with pressure / weight resistance. As long as it isn't too overpowered (throwing Kane-ra around), I'm fine with it.

Chro: Dream Killer

MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

Hitman VIII: Codebreaker

Baruka: Native Son

#9 Offline High Voltage

High Voltage
  • Members
  • Toa

• 151 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 29 2012 - 01:40 AM

Greater sense of balance seems like it makes more sense for a ba-matoran. Pretty much for all the reasons that Aanchir said.

Blah blah signature blah.  With italic to make it look fancy.

#10 Offline Takanuvainika

Takanuvainika
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 271 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 30 2012 - 04:04 PM

I voted for a better sense of balance but I think they sould be heavier as well.

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

#11 Offline Yolanda Squarble Fried #1

Yolanda Squarble Fried #1
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Real Canadian Maple Syrup

• 3,818 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2012 - 06:21 PM

A better sense of balance. It's more of a trait, while some of the others seem more like powers than characteristics.

<3

#12 Offline Torchflare1234

Torchflare1234
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 509 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 11 2012 - 02:56 PM

I don't like the gravity detection because it seems extremely useless except in a low gravity environment like outer space. A good sense of balance can be learned and is more of an ability than a trait, not to mention that Le-Matoran already have this kind of ability through their natural athleticism trait. In BIONICLE Legends 5: Inferno, it's implied that Toa of Water have a natural resistance to water pressure that's greater than others, I would imagine that this trait is more Element-specific than Toa-specific. And most comic book characters that are pressure resistant tend to be incredibly strong like the Po-Matoran or durable like the Fe-Matoran. Gravity manipulation is too much control for a Matoran and would be better suited for a Turaga of Gravity and to make a Ba-Matoran lighter in any way seems counter-intuitive to me, making them more like Matoran of Anti-Gravity. So I voted for naturally heavier. Buildings and vehicles that have to be reinforced to handle the weight, the notion of Ba-Matoran being difficult to move unless they want to, both literally and metaphorically is way more interesting to me.

There comes a point when we have to ask ourselves a very simple question, "Why?"Posted Image

Man, I've been on this site for like six years and only have 500+ posts,

being the strong, silent type really doesn't work well online.

#13 Offline Grantaire

Grantaire
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,048 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 16 2012 - 09:31 PM

Higher jumping, although greater balance might also be good.

#14 Offline The Iron Toa

The Iron Toa
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,140 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 23 2012 - 08:14 PM

If the two most popular options remain tied for winner, could we have them be able to bear more weight/pressure and have a greater sense of balance?

Edited by The Iron Toa, Nov 23 2012 - 08:14 PM.

theirontoa.png

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

#15 Offline The Tomorrow Girl

The Tomorrow Girl
  • Members
  • Return to Metru Nui

• 7,531 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 26 2012 - 09:20 AM

I believe that having a greater resistance to pressure and carried weight is more along the lines of the other elemental traits Matoran have. An increased sense of balance just doesn't seem as "elemental" to me, more of something learned.

}{}{}{sigdresden.jpg}{}{}{

"Yes, an acute case of omniscience!"

#16 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,320 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 10 2012 - 08:31 PM

I voted other, I think they should be able to 'stick' objects to themselves with localized gravity.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#17 Offline Great Being Velika

Great Being Velika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Low brass will rule the world

• 257 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 23 2012 - 04:41 PM

I put "other" because I think a gravaty Tohunga should have the power to make an enemy/dangerous acting person feel a little bit slower and heavier so that it is harder to attack said Tohunga.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

#18 Offline Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout
  • Members
  • Bionicle Writer of the Month

• 3,207 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 30 2012 - 04:10 PM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]Able to become slightly heavier/lighter at will. [/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]No real reason for choice, save for the fact that it seemed the most unique of all the options.[/font] 

#19 Offline Wrinkledlion X

Wrinkledlion X
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,953 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 11:13 PM

Naturally heavier, with "strong sense of balance" in second. Keep it simple!

(Just make them fatter than other matoran) 

#20 Online Cadmium Kyogre P~M

Cadmium Kyogre P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 447 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 10 2013 - 12:51 PM

Ability to become slightly lighter and heavier at will. Unbelievably useful.

Second choice would be greater tolerance for carrying weight, water pressure, etc.

3DS FC:   5412 - 9945 - 2378

steam_sig.png

Your title has been removed. We will do our best to make sure you do not get a custom member title in the future for any reason to avoid such a situation from happening again.

#21 Offline Neelh

Neelh
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,337 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 26 2013 - 06:24 AM

Resistance to gravity in general sounds like it could have minuscule parts of each, so they could kind or resist the normal boundaries.

I no longer need Taipu as I have achieved the impossible.

I have girlfriend.

the atlantic was born today

and i'll tell you how

the clouds above opened up

and let it out

#22 Offline TPN

TPN
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 606 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 01 2013 - 07:54 AM

For me, it has to be higher tolerance to weight and pressure. It fits with the other nice and simple Matoran traits we have seen without being too complex (e.g. Getting heavier or lighter at will) or too vague (e.g. Resistance to gravity in general).:kakamanu: :t: :m_p: :n: :kakamanu:

Edited by TPN, Feb 01 2013 - 07:54 AM.

Credit to Death Reaper for the banner

#23 Offline Dwanny

Dwanny
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 215 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 01:15 PM

For me, i would say it should be greater sense of balance. I find the resistance to gravity trait to be slightly overpowered for matoran, although it is very fitting.

Yeah I'm kinda

Not here

At all

http://chauvinistcab...deviantart.com/

I'm there though

Kinda

#24 Offline Kingslayer

Kingslayer
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,284 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 20 2013 - 08:22 AM

Oh... I'm the only one who thinks it should be the resistance to pressure thing...Awkward...

No. I agree with you. Just like Ta-dudes have a resistance to heat and Ko-dudes have a resistance to Cold.

#25 Offline Ricardo Mason

Ricardo Mason
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,536 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2013 - 08:34 PM

I wanted to go for it, but I went for balance.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#26 Offline AdaptingChaos

AdaptingChaos
  • Members
  • Aquatic Guardian

• 381 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 08:26 PM

IMO I believe that greater tolerance for carrying weight, water pressure, etc. is a great trait and would make sense for matoran of gravity.  However I believe that the amount of tolerance they can take, isn't as great as a Toa, just a slightly bit more than the average matoran.

r34TEbW.png

Youtube: Adapting Chaos    A.K.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users