Matoran Traits & Such -- Gravity?

Gravity Question  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NOTE: Although this was originally started as a Story Squad project, fan-canonization is not at this time being done due to Greg's situation. So these polls are (for now at least) merely for curiosity's sake -- what are the most popular of the suggestions that were made?Source post compiled by fishers64, suggestions by many BZPers. Quotes of original suggestion posts included there.fishers' summary:

Ba-Matoran (missing elemental trait)Suggestions: Sensing of which way gravity is, jumping higher because of lesser gravity, “toleration of large pressure forces such as huge weight being placed on top”, being heavier, natural sense of balance, being heavier or lighter, resistance to gravity
The fanon Expanded Multiverse will likely adopt whatever is chosen in these polls as EM-canon, subject to final call by Swert and myself. I would also suggest that fans consider treating the winner as "headcanon" to use in fanfics, though ultimately such decisions are up to each fanfic writer.
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I voted "Strong Sense of Balance". Again, I don't like the idea that Matoran traits should be super-powers, but rather more like finely-attuned natural abilities. Anything more than that makes the abilities of the traditional elements seem underwhelming and the abilities of the Toa less magical. And "strong sense of balance" fits that brilliantly IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the gravity detection because it seems extremely useless except in a low gravity environment like outer space. A good sense of balance can be learned and is more of an ability than a trait, not to mention that Le-Matoran already have this kind of ability through their natural athleticism trait. In BIONICLE Legends 5: Inferno, it's implied that Toa of Water have a natural resistance to water pressure that's greater than others, I would imagine that this trait is more Element-specific than Toa-specific. And most comic book characters that are pressure resistant tend to be incredibly strong like the Po-Matoran or durable like the Fe-Matoran. Gravity manipulation is too much control for a Matoran and would be better suited for a Turaga of Gravity and to make a Ba-Matoran lighter in any way seems counter-intuitive to me, making them more like Matoran of Anti-Gravity. So I voted for naturally heavier. Buildings and vehicles that have to be reinforced to handle the weight, the notion of Ba-Matoran being difficult to move unless they want to, both literally and metaphorically is way more interesting to me.

There comes a point when we have to ask ourselves a very simple question, "Why?"

swahili_translate.png

Man, I've been on this site for like six years and only have 500+ posts,

being the strong, silent type really doesn't work well online.

If the two most popular options remain tied for winner, could we have them be able to bear more weight/pressure and have a greater sense of balance?

Edited by The Iron Toa

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...