Matoran Traits & Such -- Magnetism?

Magnetism Questions  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NOTE: Although this was originally started as a Story Squad project, fan-canonization is not at this time being done due to Greg's situation. So these polls are (for now at least) merely for curiosity's sake -- what are the most popular of the suggestions that were made?Source post compiled by fishers64, suggestions by many BZPers. Quotes of original suggestion posts included there.fishers' summary:

Matoran of Magnetism (missing prefix, elemental trait, and preferred environment)Suggestions:Prefix: Co-Matoran, Jo-Matoran, Te-Matoran, Neh-Matoran, Tes-Matoran, Mag-Matoran, Feh-MatoranElemental Trait: Internal Compass (excellent sense of direction), sensing of magnetic fields, ability to ride magnetic forces, more powerful clutch on metal things, magnetic charge (undefined), resistance to magnetismPreferred Environment: Area with a lot of metal, anywhere, area with magnetic forces, area with no metal, place with lots of Magnetic rock
The fanon Expanded Multiverse will likely adopt whatever is chosen in these polls as EM-canon, subject to final call by Swert and myself. (In the case of prefix, the previously established ones, if different, may be considered alternates.) I would also suggest that fans consider treating the winners as "headcanon" to use in fanfics, though ultimately such decisions are up to each fanfic writer.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I have no opinion no the prefix for magnetism Matoran.I would think they would all be inherently good at navigating. Almost like they are living navigation units.And I don't picture them as the type of beings that sit around and make a settlement. I picture them as constant travelers. They are never happy staying in one place too long and never settle down. But off course this is just more of my personal opinion and it doesn't really matter too much.

My personal opinion for each of these:For some reason, Jo-Matoran sounds the most "Magnetic" of the name choices in my mind. I'm not quite sure why, but none of the others (except for perhaps Mag-Matoran, and that's just tacky :P) sound quite right to me.I like the idea of the internal compass; it implies that Jo-Matoran (now my unofficial head-canon name for Matoran of Magnetism) were meant to be navigators.Going hand-in-hand with the internal compass idea is the idea of Jo-Matoran as nomads - why would they want to live near strong magnetic fields if they have an internal compass? :P

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

They should definitely be Jo-Matoran (about the only one that doesn't sound tacky/like another elemental prefix), with internal compasses (which is cool without seeming ludicrous or overpowered). None of the environment options really rang true to me, so I just chose "Anywhere"."Songs that the Hyades shall sing, / Where flap the tatters of the King, / Must die unheard in / Dim Carcosa."

Edited by Hastur the Unspeakable

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

But Lego trashed that idea after introducing light and shadow. And the possibility of that idea being right went to karz when Orde, the first Ce-Toa, was introduced.
And LEGO also got rid of the color brown since Hewkii in '06, yet we still use brown as the official color of Stone.It's a nice callback to '01 to use Jo-. Just because they haven't done it since doesn't mean it suddenly is a bad idea to do it again.Stinks that I already wasted my vote by nulling. Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

But Lego trashed that idea after introducing light and shadow. And the possibility of that idea being right went to karz when Orde, the first Ce-Toa, was introduced.
They were named after the Toa -outside- the story. In-story it's the other way around. It's quite plausible that a Matoran (who later became Toa) of Magnetism could also have been named partially after the element. :) And no reason it would have to be universal. Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

They were named after the Toa -outside- the story. In-story it's the other way around. It's quite plausible that a Matoran (who later became Toa) of Gravity could also have been named partially after the element. :) And no reason it would have to be universal.
But this is the Magnetism pole... :PAnyway, as long as the prefix isn't Mag-, I'm happy.-TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why but Jo-Matoran just sounds best to me.

Toa Wolf

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back, it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig. _________________________________________________________________________________________________

I prefer the "Tes" prefix to anything else, but the "Jo" would make sense if we do the Jovan/2001 names thingy. Although, I think having the the ability to sense all magnetic fields would be a lot more useful then just the ones inside MU. (Walk out onto Spherus Magna, suddenly doesn't work anymore.)
The idea was that on Spherus Magna, the Matoran could then sense the planet's magnetic field, so it would act like an internal compass there as well - basically making them the nomadic navigators among the Matoran.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

I prefer the "Tes" prefix to anything else, but the "Jo" would make sense if we do the Jovan/2001 names thingy. Although, I think having the the ability to sense all magnetic fields would be a lot more useful then just the ones inside MU. (Walk out onto Spherus Magna, suddenly doesn't work anymore.)
The idea was that on Spherus Magna, the Matoran could then sense the planet's magnetic field, so it would act like an internal compass there as well - basically making them the nomadic navigators among the Matoran.
Ah, that's the sort of thing that I was going for. The fact that it said "Internal compass sensing magnetic fields built into the MU" messed me up. (grumbles about not being able to change vote)

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -