Purdue Pete CUUSOO Project Hits 10,000 Votes in Record Time

Who or what is Purdue Pete? I confess, I didn't know either until the <a href='http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/29614' target='offsite'>Purdue Pete CUUSOO Project</a> reached its goal of 10,000 votes in a record-breaking 36 hours last week. For your information, "Purdue Pete" is the mascot for Purdue University, and the LEGO model was itself designed by one of the associate deans. The success of the project can be attributed to a concerted effort by the university to promote voting, and, if TLG decides to make this project a reality, it may be only the first in a series of models for college mascots. Interested? You can read more details <a href='http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=4555' target='offsite'>here</a>.View the full article

Um... actually... I found out after reporting this that it actually took 10 days, not 36 hours. The 36 hours thing in the proposal's description threw me off. Either way, it was bloody quick!I am so sorry for misleading everyone! :crying:

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Um... actually... I found out after reporting this that it actually took 10 days, not 36 hours. The 36 hours thing in the proposal's description threw me off. Either way, it was bloody quick!I am so sorry for misleading everyone! :crying:
Don't worry. It's okay. We all make mistakes.Anyways, I never heard of Purdue Pete. Who is he supposed to be anyways? It still looks pretty cool though.

pWPTu7m.jpg

Quite okay, they were misleading to begin with.Yeah, as ET said, there's no way this will make it past review, unless they released other college icons to go with it, plus it's pure brick which is expensive to produce in a model.

bzpsig2015.png

This project is interesting and will surely leave a lasting impact on what kind of LEGO Cuusoo projects we see in the future (especially if it somehow passes review). For one thing, a lot of the rallying of supporters took place offline. I hear there were kiosks set up around the Purdue campus where people could use a computer to support the project, not to mention a lot of promotion through flyers and their student website. Certainly this might play a role in the model's limited global appeal, since offline support like this is so limited in range, but at the same time imagine if a comic artist or author who has a booth at a comics convention were to promote a LEGO Cuusoo project there. It'd be a surefire way of targeting people who already have a passion for the subject in question.The Purdue Pete model is certainly not a bad design, but as others have said its limited appeal (even moreso than the successful projects back when LEGO Cuusoo was Japan-only) will hinder its ability to become a successful LEGO product. Still, as with any successful or unsuccessful LEGO Cuusoo project to get so much attention, its very existence will have an influence on the LEGO Cuusoo platform and how it is approached by future project designers.

It's interesting and the most unique thing I've seen on Cuusoo, But I think Lego will see a lack of marketing potential unless they make a line of mascots. I'm suprised it got 10K so quickly, though.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Initially you think "Hey! 10,000 people voted for it; why wouldn't it not sell well?"But then you sort of come to the conclusion that it was probably mostly Purdue students who voted for it. :whatsthat:So, yeah: it would probably flop as an actual set. Especially since apparently no one really knows about Purdue Pete.How many Cuusoo projects have actually made it past the review? The problem with Cuusoo is that everyone comes up with licensed themes (Legend of Zelda) that LEGO can't afford/doesn't want to pay for.

I don't think it's going to actually happen because they aren't going to be able to make it sell.~|ET|~
Exactly. The only sales they'd get on this would be alumni, or desperate collectors.They could always do a small run of the sets (a couple hundred thousand)...Either way, I won't buy this if it does become a set, because I have no reason to do so.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.