LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Aanchir

Surprised nobody made a topic about this after the theme was revealed at Comic-Con... but anyway, high-res official images have been uploaded to cache.LEGO.com, and I can't think of any way that counts as "leaked", so here you go:79100 Kraang Lab EscapeBox79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike (featuring Donatello, Shredder, and Foot Soldier)Box79102 Stealth Shell in PursuitBox79103 Turtle Lair AttackBox79104 The Shellraiser Street ChaseBox79105 Baxter Robot RampageBoxNote that I'm not a TMNT fan at all; everything I know about the source material comes either from wiki walks or from following discussion of this LEGO theme on other sites. With that said, the sets look pretty good-- generally accurate to the source material, with clever building techniques for executing the unorthodox subject matter.I do think it's a nice touch that the human characters are stylized to resemble regular minifigures, rather than given cartoon eyes like the sets based on Avatar: The Last Airbender or Star Wars: Clone Wars. There are also some great parts in these sets: a bunch of parts in 330 Olive Green and some interesting parts like Barraki eyes and Bohrok eyes in 315 Silver Metallic.With its colorful, toyetic aesthetic and zany subject matter, TMNT is a good fit for LEGO, and my only regret about this theme is that it makes it seem all the more unlikely that we'll see a theme based on The Legend of Korra any time soon. :(EDIT: Thanks to everyone who pointed out the error in my links for 79105. They've been fixed now.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I would've preferred they'd done this in 2003 when the good TMNT show was just starting out. The designs for the show were excellent and would have transferred into great sets (especially the lair and BattleShell).This new Nickelodeon show tries to give the impression that there's a story going on, but you can tell that it feeds off of filler episodes.

Well, I don't know too much about the franchise in general...that said, in my limited Ninja Turtles experience, I've seen lots of stuff I liked and just as much that I couldn't stand, so I'm ready to take a totally impartial look at these:Kraang Lab Escape--Well, Kraang (the brain thing is Kraang, right?) is pretty cool looking, and his mech is nice for such a small set. Might be worth picking up.Shredder's Dragon Bike--The Shredder is an amazing minifigure, and his bike isn't bad, despite being rather blocky-looking and having exposed Technic beams...but Donatello's "vehicle" looks like a board with wheels attatched. Weak. Still, just look at Shredder.Stealth Shell in Pursuit--HOLY SHOOT. I WANT IT. Solid vehicles, and that...fish thing! I have no clue who that is, but he's pretty badarse (while being colored pink, no less!).Turtle Lair Attack--Well, Splinter isn't bad, and Dark Ninja (whoever he is) has some nice printing, but I don't see anything really extraordinary about--wait. Is that a MONOCHROME BROWN MINIFIGURE? With Shredder's helmet in a (hard-to-identify) darker color?Forget what I said before. I want this, too.The Shellraiser Street Chase--Probably the weakest of the lot. Not terrible, but nothing to make me want it enough to get it, either. The only thing that really jumps out at me is that Kraang seems to have shrunk. :PBaxter Robot Rampage--AWOL. Like Chro said, the links just go back to the Shellraiser. It sounds like it could be pretty cool, though.Overall, not bad; I might have to pick a few of these up myself. To say nothing of how one or two of my younger siblings are sure to react when I tell them about these..."Songs that the Hyades shall sing, / Where flap the tatters of the King, / Must die unheard in / Dim Carcosa."

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the error in my links for 79105. They've been fixed now.The Shredder helmet in the lair set seems from all appearances to be Dark Brown.
No problem, glad to help.And I didn't notice that at first about the helmet, but that is pretty cool. More colors for more parts is always good. :lol:

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Has anyone else noticed the 2-length minifig bars? I'm drooling over them right know.However, despite the great new piece, I'm disappointed in this line. While I was optimistic about the theme after letting myself warm up to the idea, now the sets seem very poorly designed compared to, for example, the Avengers or the Hobbit.

Has anyone else noticed the 2-length minifig bars? I'm drooling over them right know.However, despite the great new piece, I'm disappointed in this line. While I was optimistic about the theme after letting myself warm up to the idea, now the sets seem very poorly designed compared to, for example, the Avengers or the Hobbit.
You mean the ones that just look to be flex tube cut to two modules long? Not exactly new.And I don't think these sets are poorly designed. I think they look even better than the Avengers sets on the whole, and I'm more of a Marvel fan than a Ninja Turtles fan. The Shellraiser and the lair in particular look fantastic; the lair far surpasses the Helicarrier Breakout (and in fact, I'd say it ranks up there with the more recent iterations of Hogwarts Castle in terms of packing a lot of play value into a single location). Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The Shellraiser and the lair in particular look fantastic; the lair far surpasses the Helicarrier Breakout (and in fact, I'd say it ranks up there with the more recent iterations of Hogwarts Castle in terms of packing a lot of play value into a single location).
While the Shellraiser is a well designed truck, the jarring colors and vastly different wheel sizes ruin it for me. As for the lair, there are too many bright colors that clash with each other, which makes it look jumbled and disorganized.

I'm not familiar with the new Nickelodeon series, but I think I might get some of these. The Utroms (or whatever they're calling them these days) look awesome. Shredder isn't half bad, but I suppose the aesthetic flaws are due to show accuracy >.< . With the possible exception of the Shellraiser monstrosity, this line is pretty awesome.

aouROFb.png

The Shellraiser and the lair in particular look fantastic; the lair far surpasses the Helicarrier Breakout (and in fact, I'd say it ranks up there with the more recent iterations of Hogwarts Castle in terms of packing a lot of play value into a single location).
While the Shellraiser is a well designed truck, the jarring colors and vastly different wheel sizes ruin it for me. As for the lair, there are too many bright colors that clash with each other, which makes it look jumbled and disorganized.
If you look at a picture of what the Shellraiser looks like in the show, you'll see that the wheel sizes are a matter of accuracy to the set's subject. The ramshackle look of it is quite deliberate given that apparently, it's essentially a subway car jury-rigged into a tank.As for the colors of the lair, that's a matter of personal preference; I felt the fairly uniform color scheme of the Avengers sets was somewhat boring. Meanwhile, I I think the lair uses colors well. The core structure is divided between the basic grey stone and metal of the sewer, the dark orange piping, and a few accent colors lifted from the Shellraiser. The details feature browns and tans for the wood of most of the furnishings (including that creative wooden staircase), as well as brighter colors for some of the specific items, including primary-colored spraypaint cans and one of my favorite details, the cushions in front of the TV that are matched to the colors of the turtles' masks!

As for the colors of the lair, that's a matter of personal preference; I felt the fairly uniform color scheme of the Avengers sets was somewhat boring. Meanwhile, I I think the lair uses colors well. The core structure is divided between the basic grey stone and metal of the sewer, the dark orange piping, and a few accent colors lifted from the Shellraiser. The details feature browns and tans for the wood of most of the furnishings (including that creative wooden staircase), as well as brighter colors for some of the specific items, including primary-colored spraypaint cans and one of my favorite details, the cushions in front of the TV that are matched to the colors of the turtles' masks!
I had thought those were floor mats like you use for games like DDR. I guess they might be cushions though...

Being probably the biggest TMNT fan on BZP, I think it's radical that they're finally coming out with TMNT sets. Too bad the cartoon show sucks, but the characters at least look really accurate. I hope they also release one with Usagi Yojimbo. That'd be awesome. Cowabunga!

My Brickshelf, my Tumblr (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Current collection:
2001: 
Matoro, Onepu, Maku, Onua, Pohatu, Tahu, Lewa
2002: Tahnok, Gahlok, Lehvak, Tahnok-Va, Kohrak-Va, Gahlok-Va, Pahrak-Va, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003: Panrahk, Guurahk, Turahk, Kurahk
2004: Bordakh (X2), Rorzakh, Vorzakh, Matau, Whenua

2005: Oohnorak, Rahaga Iruini, Rahagah Norik
2006: Dalu, Velika, Vezok, Reidak, Vezon and Fenrakk

2007Dekar, Defilak, Morak, Takadox
2008: Gorast, Rockoh T3, Axalara T9
2009Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Gresh, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix, Baranus V7, Kaxium V3, Cendox V1, Thornatus V9
2010: Tahu

2015: Kopaka, Pohatu, Lewa, Vizuna, Skull Basher

2016: Tahu
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999: Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000: Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

Star Wars Collectible Figures: Death Trooper, Sergeant Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Baze Malbus

I also have the Onyx Roborider and Jimi Stinger froBreakout.

Being probably the biggest TMNT fan on BZP, I think it's radical that they're finally coming out with TMNT sets. Too bad the cartoon show sucks, but the characters at least look really accurate. I hope they also release one with Usagi Yojimbo. That'd be awesome. Cowabunga!
Which cartoon are you saying stinks?

I think he's referring to the current Ninja Turtles series on Nickelodeon, which these sets are based on.

The sets are fairly mediocre, and the secondary, "turtle" vehicles, aside from the Stealth Shell, are honestly terrible (although maybe that's just because the vehicles in the show are poorly designed). However, the figures, particularly the turtles, (aside from their fairly bland-looking weapons), are actually really excellent, and I'm sure that's the chief reason for purchasing these sets. It's nice that there are variants on the turtles instead of doing the same figure in multiple sets.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I think he's referring to the current Ninja Turtles series on Nickelodeon, which these sets are based on.
Correctamundo! The original cartoon series was the bomb, so don't worry!

My Brickshelf, my Tumblr (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Current collection:
2001: 
Matoro, Onepu, Maku, Onua, Pohatu, Tahu, Lewa
2002: Tahnok, Gahlok, Lehvak, Tahnok-Va, Kohrak-Va, Gahlok-Va, Pahrak-Va, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003: Panrahk, Guurahk, Turahk, Kurahk
2004: Bordakh (X2), Rorzakh, Vorzakh, Matau, Whenua

2005: Oohnorak, Rahaga Iruini, Rahagah Norik
2006: Dalu, Velika, Vezok, Reidak, Vezon and Fenrakk

2007Dekar, Defilak, Morak, Takadox
2008: Gorast, Rockoh T3, Axalara T9
2009Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Gresh, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix, Baranus V7, Kaxium V3, Cendox V1, Thornatus V9
2010: Tahu

2015: Kopaka, Pohatu, Lewa, Vizuna, Skull Basher

2016: Tahu
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999: Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000: Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

Star Wars Collectible Figures: Death Trooper, Sergeant Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Baze Malbus

I also have the Onyx Roborider and Jimi Stinger froBreakout.

2003 NOSTALGIA IN THE FAAAACE!I still have the Mageblok TMNT sets, and to me, they look a LOT better than these.Just a lot of peices look outta place. Not to mention the outta place ones occur throughout most of the set.Oh well. It still carries the TMNT spirit! :D

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

Not really interested in this theme. It's great they are expanding the Nickelodeon/LEGO franchise, but I've never been big on mutant turtles. I like my turtles naturally born and unaltered. Pieces look kinda cool though.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I would've preferred they'd done this in 2003 when the good TMNT show was just starting out. The designs for the show were excellent and would have transferred into great sets (especially the lair and BattleShell).This new Nickelodeon show tries to give the impression that there's a story going on, but you can tell that it feeds off of filler episodes.

Agreed.

I'll be purchasing a few of these sets, but it'll probably just be for the minifigs. lol

67685335.jpg             

Yup. A Lego Nano would be awesome. You could probably open it up and reveal the smaller forms of Nano. And Lego was years too late.

aouROFb.png