Platinum Avolkii (pics from owner)

Chasebear

It's a little hard to tell if this the real deal from the quality of the pic, as a bit of silver spray paint could get pretty much the same affect. But the fact that the owner is thinking of selling it kind of makes me assume that it is real, as selling a fake platinum Avohkii and getting away with it sounds like a challenge.

So I guess congrats to Chase for owning this. I must say I'm pretty jealous, although I prefer the gold Hau myself.

It does sound like a challenge, to sell a fake one.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

Amazing, much congrats

I remember when this contest was held, hoped i'd get it like every other bionicle fan at the time. I didn't so i promised myself i would buy it some day. That said, I would be very interested in getting my hands on this mask. If you are willing to sell the mask in the next year to year and a half i would be prepared to offer you a serious $5000 or even $5500 for it. Possibly more depending on other offers you may get. Please get in touch with me if and when you decide you would like to sell it, thanks.

>SO<

WANTED:

Got rare bionicle collectables? Ask me what I'll give you for them

STANDING OFFERS FOR RARE COLLECTABLES:

$250 for a White Huna

$250 for a Yellow Ruru

$250 for a Brown Komau

$100 for Metru Blue Matatu

Kraata -  Wild Kraata

- all prices open to reasonable negotiation -

qs20113.jpg
qs20113.jpg

Amazing, much congrats

I remember when this contest was held, hoped i'd get it like every other bionicle fan at the time. I didn't so i promised myself i would buy it some day. That said, I would be very interested in getting my hands on this mask. If you are willing to sell the mask in the next year to year and a half i would be prepared to offer you a serious $5000 or even $5500 for it. Possibly more depending on other offers you may get. Please get in touch with me if and when you decide you would like to sell it, thanks.

>SO<

Good luck!

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

Yes it's great that he won this. But I must ask, why are you people throwing your money at him? Personally, I think it's a ripoff for somebody to sell an item they got for FREE. So unless he paid for the mask (shipping and other things don't count), I won't be throwing my money at him anytime soon.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Just so everybody knows, he sold the Platinum Avohkii. Unfortunately, I don't know to who. I was in negotiations to buy it from him, but he decided to sell to somebody who he could meet in person. Unfortunately, I was never able to get further evidence that he really did have it. He said that the person he sold it to was likely to resell it though so we can definitely keep our eyes open.

- :t::l::h:

Just so everybody knows, he sold the Platinum Avohkii. Unfortunately, I don't know to who. I was in negotiations to buy it from him, but he decided to sell to somebody who he could meet in person. Unfortunately, I was never able to get further evidence that he really did have it. He said that the person he sold it to was likely to resell it though so we can definitely keep our eyes open.

- :t: :l: :h:

So now we don't know where it is. What a pity. I know I can't afford it, but with something that rare I'd like to at least guarantee that it won't be lost or melted down or something.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah me too that price is waay to high I hope he'll lower it so a BZP member could get hold on it. But we'll see in a month, also his discription seems rather unprofessional.

Also his prices seems to be high everywere, e.g :http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-LEGO-CLASSIC-BATMAN-MINFIGURES-ALL-ORIGINAL-COMPLETE-COLLECTION-MINIFIGS-/271146399955?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item3f2195b8d3

Edited by Dual Matrix

I'm back!

No way, he'll sell it for this price! I'd say, he could sell it for $5000 at best, but it's still not much possible... The material cost is somewhere above $4000, but who would like to buy it anyway... This risk isn't very clever, imho. It's like price for 2 solid gold Hau masks, sold on ebay x)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think he's sell it to me for €200,-? [/poor] Still, that's one of the coolest thing's I've ever seen =D my precious.....

Kinda a sad fate that it ended up in the hands of some trader who doesn't even remotely care for anything about it except for the $way-too-much he can resell it for.

Anyway, I've sorta come to accept the fact that the rarest piece I'll ever own is a mere Chrome Hau.

BTW, anyone has a list of the rarest pieces? I know there used to be one in the Archives, but they're kinda accessible right now.

iquXD5X.png

Zeene he doesnt have it any more. It was found on eBay for $29,000

Yes, I know. That was what I meant by "Kinda a sad fate that it ended up in the hands of some trader who doesn't even remotely care for anything about it except for the $way-too-much he can resell it for.", since obviously $29k is waaaay too much, even for the rarest Bionicle piece ever.

iquXD5X.png

Zeene he doesnt have it any more. It was found on eBay for $29,000

Yes, I know. That was what I meant by "Kinda a sad fate that it ended up in the hands of some trader who doesn't even remotely care for anything about it except for the $way-too-much he can resell it for.", since obviously $29k is waaaay too much, even for the rarest Bionicle piece ever.

I really don't think $29k is too much to ask. The fact that this is the only one ever made, and ever will be made is a whole lot of value in itself. Solid platinum, add another $5000 to the cost. The fact that this is a real collector's item; something LEGO doesn't do often is again, an extra few thousand dollars.

On a side note, before selling something like this, surely he got it appraised. Whoever appraised it would have experience in marking the value in these things, so the price is certainly realistic from a collector's standpoint.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

-snip-

I really don't think $29k is too much to ask. The fact that this is the only one ever made, and ever will be made is a whole lot of value in itself. Solid platinum, add another $5000 to the cost. The fact that this is a real collector's item; something LEGO doesn't do often is again, an extra few thousand dollars.

On a side note, before selling something like this, surely he got it appraised. Whoever appraised it would have experience in marking the value in these things, so the price is certainly realistic from a collector's standpoint.

As they say, something is just as valuable as a madman wishes to pay for it.

But yeah, without the emotional value it would be worth about $7000. The fact that there was only one ever made, and that it's an ultra-rare collectors item many would dearly like to see on their own shelf (or safe, for that matter), enables him to ask whatever he wants for it: we can't get a cheaper one from wherever, and there'll surely be one collector rich enough to buy it.

If it doesn't get sold at this price, though, he'll probably try again asking for a lower price later.

Makes me wonder, what if someone were to create a mold of a regular Avohkii, fill that with platinum and then resell it? The actual item is so rare, we wouldn't have enough material to compare it with to determine whether it's a fake.

iquXD5X.png

-snip-

As they say, something is just as valuable as a madman wishes to pay for it.

But yeah, without the emotional value it would be worth about $7000. The fact that there was only one ever made, and that it's an ultra-rare collectors item many would dearly like to see on their own shelf (or safe, for that matter), enables him to ask whatever he wants for it: we can't get a cheaper one from wherever, and there'll surely be one collector rich enough to buy it.

If it doesn't get sold at this price, though, he'll probably try again asking for a lower price later.

Makes me wonder, what if someone were to create a mold of a regular Avohkii, fill that with platinum and then resell it? The actual item is so rare, we wouldn't have enough material to compare it with to determine whether it's a fake.

There's a certificate of authenticity along with the legitimate version. Without the certificate (which the owner has), the item is only as valuable as the raw materials it is made up of. At this time with the price of platinum as it was updated in the last 2 minutes, the value of the platinum itself is US$5563 according to the weight listed on eBay, so that's the mask's value without the certificate.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

-snip-

There's a certificate of authenticity along with the legitimate version. Without the certificate (which the owner has), the item is only as valuable as the raw materials it is made up of. At this time with the price of platinum as it was updated in the last 2 minutes, the value of the platinum itself is US$5563 according to the weight listed on eBay, so that's the mask's value without the certificate.

However, we didn't really get to see that on the eBay.

This would be one of those purchases you should only make when you can pick up the item personally, because that sure is a of a lot of money, and either it not being send to you, or it proving to be a fake, well.... that'd certainly be a massive metaphorical punch to one's face.

iquXD5X.png

If it were to be a fake, then I would kill myself for giving $29k for this instead of $5k for just a platinum piece. It would still be platinum, but not even half as valuable.

Yeah, same here.

While we do know Chasebear's platinum Avohkii was real, and we do know he sold it, we do not know to whom he sold it. And, since the eBay entry shows no certificate whatsoever, it could just indeed be platinum poured into an Avohkii-mold.

So yeah, you'd probably only want to buy it if you could pick it up personally. (Compared to that $29000, the flight tickets would be nothing though)

iquXD5X.png

If you are that concerned about it being real or fake, you should contact the seller on eBay asking for more pictures, and a picture of the certificate of authenticity.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

• 2 weeks later...
It's just ridiculous, that price. If I had an extra 29 grand lying around, I would buy it (I live 45 minutes away from that place), but who the does he think we are, the Vanderbilts or something?

He's looking for an actual collector; one who understands the value, how it needs to be cared for, etc. He knows most Bionicle fans won't be able to afford it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I think I saw this on ebay. I hope whoever get it gives it a good home.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 4 weeks later...

Cool colectible even though i thought his thread was for the bigger platinum avohkii. I just checked e-bay and it seems that it was sold for 29 000.00.

The best part about it is that there is only one in the world and the seller made 2 offers.

I can understand the fooferah (is that even a word?) over it being the only platinum avohkii ever but...I don't get it. Aside from that, why is it so important? Being made of metal I'm pretty sure it would serve very little functionality with the actual sets due to weight and potentially damaging the plastic if enough force is applied. And the Avohkii is a tad overused anyway. But I will admit it is a shame that it has been sold to a mere trader. And the price does seem quite outrageous.

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters:
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics) SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth) MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)

I can understand the fooferah (is that even a word?) over it being the only platinum avohkii ever but...I don't get it. Aside from that, why is it so important? Being made of metal I'm pretty sure it would serve very little functionality with the actual sets due to weight and potentially damaging the plastic if enough force is applied. And the Avohkii is a tad overused anyway. But I will admit it is a shame that it has been sold to a mere trader. And the price does seem quite outrageous.

Well, it's the single most rarest Bionicle-piece ever, and also made out of a really valuable material.

It's basically "the Holy Grail" of all collections, but yeah, to actually play with it wouldn't work that well.

iquXD5X.png