• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Mata Head Magnets?

Mask Toa Mata Tohunga Kanohi

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Click

Click
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 25-May 09
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:35 PM

So, this is just an odd idea I had while looking at the old Mata head design. Down on the lower cheek area (just under the long mouth ridge), there's these two little hemispherical indents as you can see here:Posted ImageSo, BS01 says that

Kanohi are magnetically attached to their wearers

Which I've usually seen and assumed to attach on their cheeks, so I was wondering, would anyone have liked it if, instead of the weak, annoying Mata socket on the masks, there were magnets inside those cheek areas, holding the mask on? It probably would have the same effect as the Mata socket when playing that little "Knock their masks off" game from '01-'03, but might have been a bit more expensive, and maybe had more legal warnings and such.So, is this a feasable, or safe, idea? Do you think Lego ever thought about it? Would it have continued on in later years, or just evolved a new way to do it?

~click.gif

tohu_head_by_0nuku-d88efx4.jpg

Thanks for voting Tohu 2015, winner of GAC #21, A Picture is Worth a Thousand Likes!

Rahkshi Corpus Profiles BZPRPG (inactive)The Scarabax Library | Flickr | Deviantart

Latest Blog Entry: Art to MOC Contest!

#2 Offline The Legendary TNT

The Legendary TNT
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 22-August 12
  • 714 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 21 2012 - 04:50 PM

No, because if the magnet was strong enough it could wipe all the info off the promo CD's. And I like promo CD's.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

#3 Online Danska: Shadow Master

Danska: Shadow Master
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 12-October 02
  • 3,850 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 21 2012 - 05:47 PM

Extremely strong magnets may wipe hard drives. Weaker magnets generally won't do anything, and no type of magnet will wipe a CD (or similar). They don't work in the same way, so there's no danger of that.I think that idea would have been awesome. But then, I think magnets are pretty neat and would like to see more of them in general. :P

tahu.png

#4 Offline Draven

Draven
  • Members
  • Toa

• 05-May 12
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2012 - 03:14 AM

Magnets would have been more expensive, and I like the friction method that LEGO has employed.I don't like the indent plus rod configurations cause though.

TTS ibcZDRbf9d73oG.png

#5 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 22-October 11
  • 1,164 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 27 2012 - 02:03 PM

It would be a much weaker connection, but the awesomeness factor would win, I think. I have actually previously wondered what those were.

Edited by Kopekemaster, Nov 27 2012 - 02:03 PM.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

May both Mata Nui and Ekimu be with you, traveler, and let not Makuta shed shadow on your way.

#6 Offline Toa Of Anarchy

Toa Of Anarchy
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 27-November 12
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 27 2012 - 02:09 PM

I think that the cost would actually have been to great for lego, in the condition they were when they first began Bioncle. However, it would be pretty awesome for them to do that, it would help connect differant designs of masks to fit on a head, and increase the chance of a krana actually sticking to a targets' face
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

#7 Offline Madu Cabolo

Madu Cabolo
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 27-November 12
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 27 2012 - 02:11 PM

You think it would have been weaker? The earlier versions of masks (like the picture above) fell off really easily. It would have been stronger if a magnet had been attached to it. But, of course, there would have had to be other fastenings. Maybe instead of using the cross-hole as they used in the future, they could have kept the old mata-nui version for the rest of bionicle reinforced with a magnet.

ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL

ONE RING TO FIND THEM

ONE RING TO BRING THE ALL

AND IN THE DARKNESS

BIND

THEM

LOTR

AN EPIC STORY OF POWERFUL TOA HEROES...

EVIL VILLAINS WHO LIVE TO DESTROY...

LOCKED IN COMBAT, WITH THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE AT STAKE...

BIONICLE

#8 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 22-October 11
  • 1,164 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 28 2012 - 11:03 AM

You think it would have been weaker? The earlier versions of masks (like the picture above) fell off really easily. It would have been stronger if a magnet had been attached to it. But, of course, there would have had to be other fastenings. Maybe instead of using the cross-hole as they used in the future, they could have kept the old mata-nui version for the rest of bionicle reinforced with a magnet.

Yeah, I was meaning if it was only the magnets. If it had the other attachment as well, it would probably be stronger.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

May both Mata Nui and Ekimu be with you, traveler, and let not Makuta shed shadow on your way.

#9 Offline Great Being Velika

Great Being Velika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Low brass will rule the world

• 29-August 12
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 03 2012 - 10:02 PM

That sounds like a cool idea, but I personally like the design that that they went with . =P

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

#10 Offline Turaga Norik

Turaga Norik
  • Members
  • Toa

• 15-February 06
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 13 2012 - 02:48 AM

Have you seen the magnets Lego uses?  Maybe if they had extra-strong magnets, it would work, but with only two contact points, and nothing to stop the mask from rotating along that axis, it's not practical.  Also, the 2001/2003 masks fell off when you hit them, but that was a key point in the storyline.  The toa had their masks get knocked off more than once, and the action features of nearly all the rahi were meant to hit a toa's head and dislodge their mask, or in the case of muaka and kane-ra, dislodge the entire head

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users