Sycron

Someone had to do it...

I don't know if this is the first Slender topic, but I'll give it a shot.

For those who don't know, Slender is a horror game where you have to find eight pieces of paper in a dark forest, while being stalked by a tall, creepy man.

Post what you want here. :)

Just watch out...for him.

Edited by Sycron

You forgot to mention the game is based on the urban legend. And remember, he's not a man; he has tentacles, can convert his arms into tentacles, can stretch his limbs to inhuman lengths, can disappear and reappear at will, and make it so that only certain people can see him.(I'm not criticizing you; I just wanted the information out there)

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

You beat me to making this thread, oh-well, I'll ad some stuff to it.

First off, there is more then one Slenderman game, I recommend these as well.

Slender's Woods: It is either called that or something similar, but it is an attempt to make a sort of Slender game with more of a story of a guy who wanted to escape his life troubles in the old house he lived in as a kid. This house is deep in the woods as you would probably expect, and one of your last objectives is very surprising.

Haunt (The Real Slender Game): This is actually very well done for a free game. For what it is the graphics are incredible and the atmosphere is even better, with dense fog. Unlike the typical games, Slenderman will move regardless of whether or not you are looking at him, and the amount of notes you collect depend on the difficulty. There is something of a plot to this one too, sort of, the notes tell a story of someone who I presume you are looking for (have not played too much of it yet). There are also extras like photos of the person who entered before you and the like (though this person does not appear to be your average joe, at least if his shadow, letters, and what he leaves behind are anything to go by). Last is that your flash light will require batteries on any difficulty that is above "noob" (you also won't find any extras there either).

As for Slenderman traits, there are still more that are not mentioned, such as:

-Causing paranoia, insomnia, and pantiphobia (in some cases), and memory loss in victims.

-Is said to have some telekinetic and pyrokinetic abilities.

-Can created "Hallowed Ones", also referred to as "Maskys", which are people who are presumeably under the control of Slenderman to an extent, they also wear masks and have no memories of their actions when they "return to normal".

-Mind Control, to varying extents, similar to the last points, though some people theorize that he can't completely dominate you immediately, the more he is around you, the stronger his ability to influence/control your becomes. Minor things are as simple as influencing decisions to erasing memories, more drastic things are like what was mentioned in the previous point.

-Cameras will have poor picture display and/or audio quality on playback if Slenderman is nearby while it is turned on.

-In some interpretations, Slenderman does have a face, though you can only see it if you become more insane, and that staring at him too long will cause insanity. This goes with a theory that what you think Slenderman looks like is not what he really looks like, but rather the closest thing your mind can come to when it observe him, hence the insanity part when your stare at him too long.

-He can also make a location "supernatural" through some unknown process. It can cause a variety of eldritch things to happen, the most notable feature is that it will appear to be night time in this location regardless of the time and weather conditions around it.

Also, is anyone else into Marble Hornets here? Entry #65 recently came out, if anyone did see it...

I am interested as to what Tim wanted to show Jay at the burned out building, seeing as Tim did try to commit suicide by taking all his pills, and it clearly seems to have failed, though he probably doesn't remember being there (or at the very lease, the suicide attempt) when he gave Jay the footage. He was also pointing to a door, which is probably what he wanted to show Jay in the first place, knowing how important even the most mundane or minor details are in Marble Hornets anyway.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Wow. The nights i have spent researching this myth...It's a bit of an obsession, perhaps, but the fascination lies with the history behind the myth.Indeed, the woodcut of 'der ritter' is a fake (as can be proved in about, say, 5 minutes of internet research), but it ads a lot of depth to the story, as in the thought that we are dealing with an entity that is centuries old. It is fun to think that, should the story be true, slender man has survived all attempts to slay it, and if the entire history of the human race can't stop him, how on earth can we? Of course, the entire history of mankind didn't have nuclear weapons, or the power to send slendy to the sun. Yet, though the myth hasn't existed for that long (2009), it is fun to see how it has evolved.From a strange creepy tree-dude who lurks in his forest and removes childrens organs, places them in bags, and then puts them back, to a somewhat more subtle appearence; a tall, thin man in a suit, silently slenderwalking and stalking you through the street, home, anywhere really. Of course, i love the game, and it is wonderful to play; I just don't think it captures the essence of slendy very well.Sure, it has the forest, sure it has the stalking, and of course, the fear, but it does not have that subtlety, the stalking for ever and ever as he drives you slowly insane... The usual creepy pasta holds no interest for me, but slender man... ah, it is genius.

-Causing paranoia, insomnia, and pantiphobia (in some cases), and memory loss in victims.

-Can created "Hallowed Ones", also referred to as "Maskys", which are people who are presumeably under the control of Slenderman to an extent, they also wear masks and have no memories of their actions when they "return to normal".

-Mind Control, to varying extents, similar to the last points, though some people theorize that he can't completely dominate you immediately, the more he is around you, the stronger his ability to influence/control your becomes. Minor things are as simple as influencing decisions to erasing memories, more drastic things are like what was mentioned in the previous point.

-Cameras will have poor picture display and/or audio quality on playback if Slenderman is nearby while it is turned on.

-In some interpretations, Slenderman does have a face, though you can only see it if you become more insane, and that staring at him too long will cause insanity. This goes with a theory that what you think Slenderman looks like is not what he really looks like, but rather the closest thing your mind can come to when it observe him, hence the insanity part when your stare at him too long.

-He can also make a location "supernatural" through some unknown process. It can cause a variety of eldritch things to happen, the most notable feature is that it will appear to be night time in this location regardless of the time and weather conditions around it.

I'm not sure paranoia and insomnia would count as traits, but more what comes from the stalking, appearing from nowhere, then leaving without a trace, etc.

Also, this is Marble Hornets specific variation, I woudn't say that all of these are general Slendy traits.

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

I'm not sure paranoia and insomnia would count as traits, but more what comes from the stalking, appearing from nowhere, then leaving without a trace, etc.

Also, this is Marble Hornets specific variation, I woudn't say that all of these are general Slendy traits.

Actually the Slenderman wiki confirms that these are general traits used in quite a few Slenderman works.

Paranoia and insomnia are disorders, and I think they meant it in the disorder sense, not the general feeling of a mere sleepless night or the feeling of being watched. Tim (I use Marble Hornets as an example a lot as it is the ARG that I follow the most) has these to a genuine disorder level.

Oh and there is also "The Sickness". Which is nausea, coughing, and the occasional coughing up blood, it would appear that medication does not stop it either. Often this is a warning that he is around, though you can also get it from staring at him too long.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

:kaukau: I like the game, and I'm fine with the simplicity behind Slenderman's rendering. After all, this isn't necessarily a high-budget thing, and it doesn't need to be. Slenderman might be simply renderred, but I always thought that was the point. I mean, even in carefully photoshopped pictures, he's a vague, fuzzy figure without much detail. That's always been part of the appeal.

As for the gamepley, it depends on what you're looking for. I think it's a masterpiece, personally, even though I've opted to watch videos of other people play it instead of playing it myself. That alone is kind of scary. My sister, who doesn't get scared too easily, felt embarrassed afterword when she gave out a girlish scream. I like it when for once there are simplistic ideas, and for such a simple concept, I don't see it anywhere else. That's what I like in games. All too often there are games that get too complicated, and I think of the successful Halo franchise in particular, in which there are so many things to know. While it's possible to wing it with Halo, it still doesn't capture the nice simplicity of games like these, which have the atmosphere that one can just take in. It reminds me of a scarier version of MNOG, and that's a complement. Like the classic games of the last few decades, starting with Pac-Man and Gallaga, advancing to the first shoot'em-ups, and coming to this, it has all the key ingredients to success, which are simplicity and a distinct feel to its gameplay.

Perhaps someday they'll add another chapter and there will be a step after collecting the eight pieces of paper. Until then, I still think it's cool and that this is one of the better gaming ideas to come out in the last year. Sorry, Halo.

NOOOO! THE THREAD FOR SLENDER MAN IS NAMED AFTER THAT GAME! IT'S EVERYWHERE! IT'S THE ONLY REASON ANYONE HAS HEEEEEEEAAAAAAARD OF HIIIIIIIIIIIIM! ENTERING FULL-ON SLENDER-ELITIST MODE!

*Puts on mask, extends tentacles*

*Summons Slender Man to deal with the infidel*

*Is eaten by Slender Man*

Edited by Toa Alaka

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

NOOOO! THE THREAD FOR SLENDER MAN IS NAMED AFTER THAT GAME! IT'S EVERYWHERE! IT'S THE ONLY REASON ANYONE HAS HEEEEEEEAAAAAAARD OF HIIIIIIIIIIIIM! ENTERING FULL-ON SLENDER-ELITIST MODE! *Puts on mask, extends tentacles* *Summons Slender Man to deal with the infidel* *Is eaten by Slender Man*

Yeah the topic's named after the game, but it doesn't mean that's what everyone knows it from. Yes I first learned about it from a friend talking about the game, but I did alot of research and now when I hear Slender Man, I don't initially think of the game, I think '2009 Paranormal Photo contest', 'column in a newspaper written by the guy that created Slender Man'. The games fun, and possibly more widely known, but not everyone knows about just the game. Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

:kaukau: I believe I first found out a few years ago on BZPower on a topic called "The Slenderman Mythos." That topic was posted December 19, 2012, so it was nearly two years ago, plenty of time for me to get familiar with the wonderful legend before the game came out. Then the game was designed and though it was a pretty awesome idea. Anyway, I first heard of it on here, then I did research elsewhere and became familiar with the concept after checking out the original Something Awful forums.

Now, now, Toa Alaka. We're not sure what happens to people once the Slenderman "gets" them. Maybe he eats them, but for all we know he could just bring people into an alternate dimension, or knock people off "Wheeping Angel" style.

:kaukau: I've noticed a similarity between those, though. I wonder if it's a coincidence or not. I mean, especially with the Slenderman giving people amnesia. The interesting thing is that both the Silence and the Slenderman bear remarkable similarities to a character of my invention, who's tall, slender, wears a black suit from tie to time (but usually just plain black), and causes amnesia. And I had this idea back in 2005. I really should have acted sooner. Maybe I can just go with my own version and do the concept its proper, definitive justice.

Steven Moffat has said that he was inspired by Edvard Munch's The Scream when creating the Silence's appearance. He has also cited that the urban legends of the BZP Lovers inspired him to have Silents wear a black suit and tie. It's highly likely that Slenderman crossed their minds when they were creating him though, since they're just too similar to be coincidental.

Also, this:

wears a black suit from tie to time

Best typo subtle joke ever :P

Honestly, whether it be picture, creepy pasta or game, I have never foubd Slendeman to be scary in any way. It feels like Slendy started off as a fairly creepy guy and everyones just gone and stuck loads of supernatural abilities to him.Its just another variation of being followed by a creep in the woods.TF2 Spies, Creepers and Turahk are scarier than Slenderman.

Honestly, whether it be picture, creepy pasta or game, I have never foubd Slendeman to be scary in any way. It feels like Slendy started off as a fairly creepy guy and everyones just gone and stuck loads of supernatural abilities to him.Its just another variation of being followed by a creep in the woods.TF2 Spies, Creepers and Turahk are scarier than Slenderman.

That's actually part of the appeal- he's unsettling visually and stalks you. Two primal fears.

...that said, however, I honestly find that he's become increasingly unscary. Maybe it's that Slendy's 'scare' factor for the stalking thing was hardly scary to begin with (his appearance was always what I found scary), but as he becomes more widespread, he... just stops being frightening, since you know he's going to show up because he's the 'cool kids' monster. He's becoming a jumpscare, basically.

Which is a crying shame, since the earlier photoshops and fluff are actually kinda creepy.

hElbrZ6.gif

"Hey, guyyyyys!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be killing you in about ten seconds, okayyyyy?"

I've had some knowledge of Slenderman before the game, but I've never really found him terrifying. This game hasn't changed any of that; in fact, it's made him less creepy for me. Granted, I've also been told I laughed too much while watching "The Ring", so maybe the problem lies with me.

There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down

I don't really see TF2 Spies, Creepers or Turahk to be creepy in the slightest personally. I do find Slenderman creepy, at least as a concept, and while I may find other things creepier, the problem those have that sort of kill the creepy factor is that we know enough about them to deal with them without that much of a problem.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I don't really see TF2 Spies, Creepers or Turahk to be creepy in the slightest personally.

Spies, Creepers and Turahk aren't creepy. That was a bit of a bad joke on my part.

The concept of a scary creature stalking you is always going to be creepy in a real-life-help-me way but Slenderman has become overused and dull, even more so in game form.

Personally, I like them. Especially the Slender Man's Shadow series. The games are stupid in some ways, yes, but I'm rather fond of the simple maps/layouts and renders, really; and the jump-scares. lolI hear the graphics are going to be improved in most of the existing games by the end of the month; plus the rumored release of a program that will allow you to construct your own Slender Man map, which would be fun to mess with.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I ran into a version of slenderman in Minecraft, abet, he was called "enderman". He's not directly hostile under normal circumstances, but if you look at his face, he randomly teleports from across the map and attacks...

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?