Does anyone still like Bionicle?

Bionicle will always have a special place in my life. at least it was better than the stuff we have now <_<

Speak for yourself. I still like Bionicle, but I'm willing to acknowledge its flaws. It holds a special place in my heart for keeping me involved in Lego through my "dark ages". But it also helped me to get back into other Lego themes, which have constantly improved over the course of the last decade. I feel that Hero Factory is a worthy successor to Bionicle, and even though I was resistant to it at first it dragged me in with the awesome new building system introduced two years ago.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not as much as I used to, but I still look back on my Bionicle-fanboy days fondly.

Heck, I'm even writing a Bionicle fanfic like I used to. Only with the brains I've acquired over the years. XD

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing 90% of the time.

Bionicle will always have a special place in my life. at least it was better than the stuff we have now <_<

Speak for yourself. I still like Bionicle, but I'm willing to acknowledge its flaws. It holds a special place in my heart for keeping me involved in Lego through my "dark ages". But it also helped me to get back into other Lego themes, which have constantly improved over the course of the last decade. I feel that Hero Factory is a worthy successor to Bionicle, and even though I was resistant to it at first it dragged me in with the awesome new building system introduced two years ago.

I wasn't refering to Hero Factory, I was refering to stuff like cartoons.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

I wasn't refering to Hero Factory, I was refering to stuff like cartoons.

Even then, I think you're looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses. There's a lot of great cartoons on TV these days. On the sillier end of the spectrum, you have things like My Little Pony or Adventure Time. On the more dramatic side, you have things like Legend of Korra. And Lego fans have never had it better as far as TV is concerned, with shows based on themes like Ninjago and Chima, and TV specials based on Hero Factory and Lego Star Wars. And this is all coming from someone who hardly watches any cartoons, so I'm sure there's gems out there I haven't even discovered. This is all getting a little off topic, but generally my point is that if you look at things independently from nostalgia, you can find that there's not really any sort of across-the-board decline going on.

To be honest... Don't be shocked when Bionicle comes back. I really think it will. Give it six years to a decade, and Bionicle will release a new wave.

But at the moment, I still buy Bionicles. Im always hunting for Turaga and Nui-Jaga and Bohrok and such.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

To be honest... Don't be shocked when Bionicle comes back. I really think it will. Give it six years to a decade, and Bionicle will release a new wave.

But at the moment, I still buy Bionicles. Im always hunting for Turaga and Nui-Jaga and Bohrok and such.

I honestly dont think it will. Maybe in some spiritual sort of way, but not a continuation of the series.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Maybe I'm stupid for asking this, but...

I've lately noticed a lot of members saying that they have moved on, don't like Bionicle anymore, "used to" like Bionicle, etc. Many have said that they stay only for the community, or the RPGs. Not that I have anything against those people, but I'm still into Bionicle, as much as when it was alive, really. So what about you guys? Anybody still have about the same level of interest in Bionicle that they did before?

(NOTE: Please don't take this as an accusation of not being a Real True Fan © or something. I swear, if you've moved on to Hero Factory or simply other, non-elemental-robot related interests, that's totally okay with me.)

I don't think I can ever "move on" from Bionicle. I saw Hero Factory, and it was cool and interesting, but it wasn't as...vivid or rich as the characters and stories that came from the Bionicle universe. RIght now, I'm ignoring the fact that Bionicle came out at the beginning of my teenage years, and that I still have a very strong emotional and literary connection to the characters and stories. I'm taking a step back and stating that if you look at these strong characters and the world they live in on their own, it would be hard not to like them. Wholly, it's a story about light versus shadow, good versus evil. For a book and movie series that supposed to be for boys ages 8-12, it carries some pretty dark overtones that reflect morals of leadership, sacrifice, friendship, and personality crises--not to mention the several cases of death and ever present aura of hopelessness.

In short, yes, I still adore Bionicle and don't think I can replace it.

I love BIONICLE and always will. The thing that attracts me the most is the flexibility of the story and the fact that you can make your own for your characters. I also love MoCing and the occasional playing with them; making them destroy the Makuta (am I the only one?). My liking has waned, the fact that nothing new is coming out and it just doesn't have the oomph it gave me back in 2008. I have continued buying sets (again, am I?), as I have only a mear fraction of them. I follow Hero Factory now as I know nothing is going to change and we are going to have to deal with the fact that it is over. But still,

BIONICLE FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

I think my computer room, which is full with Bionicles to the point I'm almost buried in them at my desk, gives a definite "I LOVE BIONICLES" message. I think I phased out around the Voya Nui-Underwater story arcs, but I was invested enough to buy sets with Phantoka and Mistika. All in all, I've grown more and moe attached to its story. The only thing I can ever dislike is the cheap, easy-to-break plastic the Inika onwards sets were. Seriously, I've lost so many connectors. Always the socket, never the ball joint.

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters:
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics) SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth) MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)

Maybe I'm stupid for asking this, but...

I've lately noticed a lot of members saying that they have moved on, don't like Bionicle anymore, "used to" like Bionicle, etc. Many have said that they stay only for the community, or the RPGs. Not that I have anything against those people, but I'm still into Bionicle, as much as when it was alive, really. So what about you guys? Anybody still have about the same level of interest in Bionicle that they did before?

(NOTE: Please don't take this as an accusation of not being a Real True Fan © or something. I swear, if you've moved on to Hero Factory or simply other, non-elemental-robot related interests, that's totally okay with me.)

Yes, I like still like bionicle.

And I don't like hero factory too much.

Edited by Maranui

2xu8Ptu.png

Of course. It's nearly the only good thing LEGO has started in the last 13 years or more.

Really? What about LEGO Digital Designer, the Modular Building series, the Collectible Minifigures, the LEGO Creator line (its current iteration, in which every set includes building instructions for three different models using the same parts), LEGO Friends, the LEGO video games by Travelers' Tales (now TT Games), LEGO Brickmaster magazine, the LEGO Ninjago TV series, or LEGO Master Builder Academy? I can understand if you don't call all of these "good things", but I think saying BIONICLE is the ONLY "good thing" LEGO has started in the last 13 years or more is a huge exaggeration, unless you have a very narrow definition of "good things".

Of course. It's nearly the only good thing LEGO has started in the last 13 years or more.

Really? What about LEGO Digital Designer, the Modular Building series, the Collectible Minifigures, the LEGO Creator line (its current iteration, in which every set includes building instructions for three different models using the same parts), LEGO Friends, the LEGO video games by Travelers' Tales (now TT Games), LEGO Brickmaster magazine, the LEGO Ninjago TV series, or LEGO Master Builder Academy? I can understand if you don't call all of these "good things", but I think saying BIONICLE is the ONLY "good thing" LEGO has started in the last 13 years or more is a huge exaggeration, unless you have a very narrow definition of "good things".

I said nearly, to start off. xD

The only good things I've seen have been Technic, BIONICLE, most games that have been made and (maybe) Ninjago.

-G u u R a h K

I am even more into it, and I regularly moc and make them fight, normally involving large amounts of dismemberment.

I really like the story as well, and I will think of storylines randomly when I'm bored.

3018587.png
Credit be to Strack for my avatar, who I WILL moc one day, the avatar I mean ........
Life is a whole lot of everything-Cleverbot
What What What.-Cleverbot
My steam name is Toa Gears °▲Delta, add me if you wish

After the great Bionicle ended, man, I was bummed. I hated lego for that (still do a bit :P) I went searching for petitions, would sign one 5 times a day! I was so devoted to it coming back. I have finally accepted that it's ended, but that doesn't mean I still don't love it. I do hope that it will come back someday, and I will be waiting, but for the time being I entertain myself every once and a while with mocs and collections, and my shelves full of 2001. Although sometimes I don't get into it as much as I did, I love Bionicle. It's my childhood. :)

Tu2d6W7.jpg

bonkles will always have a special place in my life. at least it was better than the stuff we have nyow <_<

Agreed

Best Regards Iggy                                                                                 Failure to not recognize this user's awesomeness is punishable by Pikachu

"Because some...men just like to watch the world burn"  

Spontaneous Combustions is back, but not in the way you expected.

https://chargeinfinity.wordpress.com/

Unquestionably. I will even admit (reluctantly) that I still take out MOCs or sets that survived the risk being turned into MOCs and play with them. I would still build them, but I've pretty much used all my BIONICLE pieces and for some reason I've never taken apart an HF set... ever.

Don't know whether you're saying you're pro-HF (you like the sets better as is) or anti-HF (you don't see as much potential in the parts), but if you haven't taken apart any post-2011 HF sets, you're missing out. The new building system is loads of fun to use, whether you're seriously attempting a MOC or just screwing around with the parts. Especially since, unlike with Bionicle, you don't risk the joints breaking through normal use.

Unquestionably. I will even admit (reluctantly) that I still take out MOCs or sets that survived the risk being turned into MOCs and play with them. I would still build them, but I've pretty much used all my BIONICLE pieces and for some reason I've never taken apart an HF set... ever.

Don't know whether you're saying you're pro-HF (you like the sets better as is) or anti-HF (you don't see as much potential in the parts), but if you haven't taken apart any post-2011 HF sets, you're missing out. The new building system is loads of fun to use, whether you're seriously attempting a MOC or just screwing around with the parts. Especially since, unlike with Bionicle, you don't risk the joints breaking through normal use.

I'm not saying either, just that I've never taken one apart. No idea why. Think I might go do that now, actually.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I'm still in love with Bionicle. I still read the books and comics, listen to the TTV and BS01 podcasts, and play the video games.

Its not the same as it was when the storyline was still active, but I'm still an active Bionicle fan.

The BZPower Chat is alive!

Join at: http://xat.com/thebzpc

I am ToaN, from the N continuum...

Whoa. I guess BZP is a lot less jaded than I had thought.

I think one of the things that makes Bionicle unique is that it combined so many tropes in so many... well, frankly bizarre ways. There are series with living robots (although not many), series with elemental powers (very many of these), series with futuristic cities or conflicts between dark, monstrous creatures and warrior magicians. But Bionicle is all of these, and a great deal more. Elements of nearly every genre imaginable (and some that might not be) are present. The writing was often kind of mediocre, but the overall product was so incredibly AWESOME that you didn't care. The entire franchise ran on pure, unrestricted Rule of Cool.

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

Whoa. I guess BZP is a lot less jaded than I had thought. I think one of the things that makes Bionicle unique is that it combined so many tropes in so many... well, frankly bizarre ways. There are series with living robots (although not many), series with elemental powers (very many of these), series with futuristic cities or conflicts between dark, monstrous creatures and warrior magicians. But Bionicle is all of these, and a great deal more. Elements of nearly every genre imaginable (and some that might not be) are present. The writing was often kind of mediocre, but the overall product was so incredibly AWESOME that you didn't care. The entire franchise ran on pure, unrestricted Rule of Cool.

Well, I wouldn't say "unrestricted". It did have one self-imposed restriction, particularly in later years, which is that it took itself very seriously. Certainly the books, comics, movies, and serials would have jokes, but in general it didn't afford itself the kind of humor or lighthearted storytelling endemic to other LEGO themes, and in fact pretty much anything lighthearted in the movies is thoroughly reviled by a lot of fans who have come to demand more serious storytelling (even the childlike voices of the Matoran in BIONICLE: Mask of Light have been controversial).So while there was a lot making it cool, there were certain types of stories it never touched upon. Look at Ninjago, which had plot threads such as "the heroes and villains enter a race/dance contest". Or look at Hero Factory FM, the Hero Factory podcast which nonchalantly blended the real world with the Hero Factory universe and was pretty much a gag a minute. These sorts of things could never have worked for BIONICLE, because fans would have had a fit. And I would certainly call that a restriction, even if it was one a lot of fans were willing to live with.

I still like Bionicle just as much as I use to. I still hold out hope for some sort of return to the franchise, but I am not consumed by it.

None of the current Lego themes interest me nearly as much as Bionicle, but that is not to say they don't interest me. Even the story heavy themes that have come out since then, such as Ninjago, have a completely different tone than Bionicle.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Whoa. I guess BZP is a lot less jaded than I had thought. I think one of the things that makes Bionicle unique is that it combined so many tropes in so many... well, frankly bizarre ways. There are series with living robots (although not many), series with elemental powers (very many of these), series with futuristic cities or conflicts between dark, monstrous creatures and warrior magicians. But Bionicle is all of these, and a great deal more. Elements of nearly every genre imaginable (and some that might not be) are present. The writing was often kind of mediocre, but the overall product was so incredibly AWESOME that you didn't care. The entire franchise ran on pure, unrestricted Rule of Cool.

Well, I wouldn't say "unrestricted". It did have one self-imposed restriction, particularly in later years, which is that it took itself very seriously. Certainly the books, comics, movies, and serials would have jokes, but in general it didn't afford itself the kind of humor or lighthearted storytelling endemic to other LEGO themes, and in fact pretty much anything lighthearted in the movies is thoroughly reviled by a lot of fans who have come to demand more serious storytelling (even the childlike voices of the Matoran in BIONICLE: Mask of Light have been controversial).So while there was a lot making it cool, there were certain types of stories it never touched upon. Look at Ninjago, which had plot threads such as "the heroes and villains enter a race/dance contest". Or look at Hero Factory FM, the Hero Factory podcast which nonchalantly blended the real world with the Hero Factory universe and was pretty much a gag a minute. These sorts of things could never have worked for BIONICLE, because fans would have had a fit. And I would certainly call that a restriction, even if it was one a lot of fans were willing to live with.

Yeah, you're right.

"nearly unrestricted"

Weaver, Seeker, and Spark

"When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave."

- Death, The Sandman

(Previously Toa Alaka)

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to add that asking me "Do you still like Bionicle" is basically the same as asking me "Do you need to breathe".

Same here.

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

I still like it, I mean, it's been a huge part of my childhood, was one of the things that inspired me to take drawing more seriously, and generally managed to fascinate me for a long time.Also, the movies were cute. (TLR, I dunno, it was okay, but the other ones... love them ^^)And I think if it came back someday, I'd certainly look at it and give the new sets a try. Not that I think that will happen, but still... >.>

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

If anything, I'm more into it than ever. My interest kind of drifted through the later years, but I continued to keep up with sets and most of the story. Now that it's ended, I have a chance to really look back on it and see what made the line great, and add to that myself. The whole "Constraction" figure design has made the line so much cooler and expandable, so now I MOC and add to the huge, wonderfully expandable storyline that I found so great. You should also see the shelves I have in my room filled with Bionicle and Lego creations. :D