Elemental Flight -- Quotes & Stuff

Air we know has flight as a capability, water is the only one I'm still questioning.

Bottom line on that IMO is that since Greg told us even air is highly inefficient without a special tool to aid it, that is probably true even more so for Toa of Water. I think the jetpack thing would almost certainly enable at least hovering, but anything else is questionable.

Thanks for that quote. Dunno how I missed that one lol.

When you say any telekinetic, do you mean elemental? Because it occurs to me that maybe we haven't fairly considered platform flight for Matatu/Psionics. Just because they can't lift themselves directly now does not seem to mean platform flight is impossible. Not sure now how universal Greg's answers on that were. He confirmed the Great Matatu does not lift the user... but yeah...

EDIT: I've edited the firstpost with the Lightning quote and updates about platform flight.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I went ahead and asked about this in the "Ask GregF a Question" topic, so we may have some closure here.

That aside, I would say that the arm analogy doesn't really hold up the way Pohatu is described as lifting the rock:

First, Photok saw the rocks above and below fuse together into a solid mass. There was a sensation of motion, and the Matoran felt a little dizzy for a moment. Then he realized what was happening: he, Pohatu, and all the rock that surrounded them were rising. The Toa was using his mastery of stone to levitate them from the swamp at an amazing rate of speed.

"Wish I had a Mask of X-Ray Vision right about now," Pohatu muttered. "I'd drop us right on Gorast."

The Toa felt the slightest decrease in resistance to their momvent, which told him they were out of the water and back in the air. Making sure Photok was securely on his back, he unleashed his power and split their rocky prison wide open. Before the two halves had even hit the swamp, Toa and Matoran were soaring back into the battle.

~~~

(Emphasis mine. Yes, I'm aware that segments of this have already been quoted, but there's the full passage in case someone else notices something I didn't.)

The first two quotes do imply that Pohatu is telekinetically lifting himself in addition to the rocky mountain. Generally, when GregF says "levitate," he means "levitate." :P

The third quote further rules out the possibility of Pohatu using the buoyancy trick, as he experiences less resistance in the air.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

When you say any telekinetic, do you mean elemental? Because it occurs to me that maybe we haven't fairly considered platform flight for Matatu/Psionics. Just because they can't lift themselves directly now does not seem to mean platform flight is impossible. Not sure now how universal Greg's answers on that were. He confirmed the Great Matatu does not lift the user... but yeah...

I meant any telekinetic, whether it's element-specific(Stone, Iron, etc.), nonspecific(Psionics and Matatu), or non-elemental (those for whom telekinesis wouldn't be a power, but a natural ability.)

And actually, looking back at the quote involving the Matatu, Greg never said Nuju can't use it to lift himself, he said Nuju doesn't use it. However, the rest of the quote would imply that Nuju can't. So... :shrugs:

I posted this in that topic in response to Meta-Mind.

We're mostly curious if a user of a Mask of Telekinesis can lift himself or herself indirectly like Pohatu did. Same with a Toa of Iron. A yes or no on these would provide a better answer for us. I'd also like to know if a Toa of Psionic's telekinesis works the same as the mask.

Think that might give us the answers we want?

There comes a point when we have to ask ourselves a very simple question, "Why?"

swahili_translate.png

Man, I've been on this site for like six years and only have 500+ posts,

being the strong, silent type really doesn't work well online.

Those sound good, yeah.

About that telekinesis quote, another puzzling thing there is that the Matatu clearly CAN lift living beings, but he specifically said at one point that the Kiril only regens inanimate matter. So the two don't seem like the best comparison anyways -- maybe we shouldn't read too much into that for the Matatu.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 1 month later...
If a Toa would use a Crast (And it wouldn't because they think it's power is immoral, but still) he would be able to repel the ground like Krika did.

Please do not post in topics that have been inactive for thirty days or more.

Also, mask powers and other protodermic powers beyond the main elemental powers were not being considered here; it goes without saying that powers like Crast, Miru, Kadin, etc. enable lift. (If a Toa wanted to hover he would use Miru, or fly, Kadin, although I suppose if a non-flying one needed to hover and that was all that was available, to save their own lives, they might.)

Topic closed.