• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Whats with the Toa Hordika arms?!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pikiru

Pikiru
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 61 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 21 2012 - 05:06 PM

I mean it does not make sense. In all six Toa Hordika you have this little flimsy left arm and this perfectly sized right arm (that even has a gear function!). The right arm works brilliantly, so why did the Lego designers put in a Toa Mata leg for the left arm instead of the same design as in the right one? I don’t think there is any story significance to the Toa Hordika having small left arms. Were the designers only allowed to use a certain amount of pieces for the Toa Hordika so they made the arm just one piece? I have no idea; hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

#2 Offline Meta-Mind

Meta-Mind
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 471 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 21 2012 - 05:30 PM

Well, in Web of Shadows, the Hordika were shown with only one of their tools, permanently attached to their "large arm" - though this is just artistic license.

In reality, I believe it has more to do with the set designers wanting an asymmetrical, mutated design, and making one arm ridiulously large as a result.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades. It's good for self-defense if you're attacked by something big.

BZPRPG Profiles

#3 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,731 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 21 2012 - 05:55 PM

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#808080;]Yeah, Meta's got it.[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#808080;]In-story, too, they were partially mutated, so a large arm and a smalled, "normal" arm was a good design choice to reflect this, as I see it.[/color][/font]

#4 Offline T.B.O.C

T.B.O.C
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 21 2012 - 06:31 PM

To create a deformed, asymmetrical look. They were mutated, so it'd make sense.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
Hey look, a Brickshelf Happened: My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Multiple Victini + Mew + Arceus for trade! PM me if interested

(Looking for Genesect, Shiny Darkrai, and most Shiny legendaries!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

#5 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,906 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Dec 21 2012 - 06:41 PM

As everyone else has stated, the Toa Metru were mutated into Hordika, so its likely that something like that would happen. Set-wise, it was probably to help them look mutated.

Everyone is one choice away from being a bad guy in someone else's story.

#6 Online Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,084 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Dec 21 2012 - 10:33 PM

Moving to Sets & Collectibles...

#7 Offline Great Being Velika

Great Being Velika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Low brass will rule the world

• 263 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 22 2012 - 01:57 PM

It makes them look mutated and like animals. I liked that.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

#8 Offline Bfahome

Bfahome
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • DJ Kumo

• 5,926 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Dec 22 2012 - 02:48 PM

I imagine it was more likely because they wanted keep an action function present while still being able to have the Rhotuka launcher on their backs.  So instead of a shoulder function, the Hordika had an elbow function.  It probably would've been more costly to use the large arm on both sides, so having the asymmetry was probably what they settled on as a middle ground.

stand still, pause clocks

we_can_make_the_world_stop.jpg

We Can Make The World Stop

#9 Offline toa kopaka4372

toa kopaka4372
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,007 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 22 2012 - 03:22 PM

I assume they were trying to create the sets to be as deformed as possible, so they made decisions they wouldn't normally make. 

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=7351

#10 Offline Toaman25

Toaman25
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 39 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 22 2012 - 03:25 PM

I know that it was to make them look like they were beasts.

Farewell, Bionicle.com    :biorules:

You will always be remembered.

#11 Offline Cee Matrix

Cee Matrix
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,327 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Dec 22 2012 - 06:21 PM

Actually it was their small arm that carried their weapon in the movie I think

If I may siggest something.

Get one of those metruan neck like peices except the ones the let you put your own rods in. Put in a size 2 rod and stick that you where the Y joint on the arm would normally be. The, connected the axel port of the Y joint into the 2 sized plus rod, and put a Toa nuva shoulder as a shoulder. Works a treat for posibilty.

Edited by CCCXLVII, Dec 22 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#12 Offline Manterax Prime

Manterax Prime
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 431 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 19 2013 - 10:59 AM

The Piraka had a simalar affliction, but it didn't bother me.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection?  Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

#13 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,693 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 20 2013 - 08:45 AM

The Piraka had a simalar affliction, but it didn't bother me.

With the Piraka it actually bothered me more, not because I disliked the asymmetry (I loved it), but because the way they used a Toa Metru lower arm made the range of motion in that arm quite unnatural, which meant unless their launcher arm was fully extended, it couldn't strike a very convincing action pose.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users