8299700520_4f3d392246_n.jpg
Flickr

*cough* Ahem, I say, old bean! Nowadays, with all these Hero chaps running around, I daresay things aren't quite what they once were, eh? Back in my day, we were known as Her Majesty's Gentlemen Adventurers! Of course, now they've adulterated our sacred emblem into some sort of insignia for their 'Hero Factory.' How droll.Anyway, in my day we we just had to fire up the jolly old atmospheric ionization generator, have a smoke, and bag a rapscallion before teatime! Now these new blokes dash around without any sense of class. I say, if you don't have an electrical cane or tophat, you can hardly call yourself a Hero at all! And they're shorter too. Why, back in my day, I . . .What's that, sir? Tea, you say? Oh well, bang on my good fellow, eh wot!

------

I certainly had fun with that description. The idea for the MOC came from the head design, and generally developed from there. He's definitely a debonair fellow, isn't he?

~B~ Edited by Ballom

wow simply awesome i had to show my mother and she even was slightly amazed by it. must say i love the tophat

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Marvelous, old chap, simply marvelous. (sorry, I couldn't resist.) Ferris here has an awesome color scheme, along with a really unified look to him that makes you look twice to see if it really is made of HF pieces. The backpack and the tophat are nice, but to me the real star here is how you used Breeze's faceplate in conjunction with Thok's ice gun-tube. It looks spectacular, very robotic and generally cool. Now on to figuring out how you did it. :P

Look at me still talking when there's science to do!

Beautiful MOC. The almost all-black colour scheme wonderfully contrasts with that lightning around the head (which, along with the staff, gives the MOC a kind of god-like appearence to me). The body and legs are aloso both nicely built. Overall, awesome fellow. (Oh, and a really, really good description.).

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

This struck me immediately, because I've recently been working on some MOCs wearing more standard looking human headgear (Got a guy in a cycling helmet type thing, and I did have a top hat as well). Hat looks out of place, but not in a bad way. Its quirky, and rather completes it. I'd perhaps say this could be made better if there was less bulk in the shoulder area. There's not much else I can say on it, I've never set my hands on any HF parts, and I'm feeling less and less confident in my ability to critique HF builds.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

wow simply awesome i had to show my mother and she even was slightly amazed by it. must say i love the tophat

I'm glad that you and your mother both liked Ferris and his hat! It's a design that I'm sure has been used before, but it works quite well for the purposes of the MOC.

Marvelous, old chap, simply marvelous. (sorry, I couldn't resist.) Ferris here has an awesome color scheme, along with a really unified look to him that makes you look twice to see if it really is made of HF pieces. The backpack and the tophat are nice, but to me the real star here is how you used Breeze's faceplate in conjunction with Thok's ice gun-tube. It looks spectacular, very robotic and generally cool. Now on to figuring out how you did it. :P

Why thank you, dear fellow! :) For starters, the face was the very first thing I built on this guy, and once I realized that the had made a good covering for it, I just had to make him a dapper steampunk cyborg. Hence the electric cane and the generator backpack, but I think the blue conserved throughout adds a nice splash of color. Black and gunmetal worked great too, especially since the black gives the appearance of a suit.

Truly amazing....I love the color. Your utilization of HF elements made me stare for a while....and the tophat is a nice touch.

Yes, itsn't the old chapeau quite ripping? Unfortunately it has a nasty tendency to fall off, since it's held on by only half a stud, but that's hardly a problem.

Nice one, Bals. Those electric protrusions are great; I'll be quite interested to see what you do with the new fire parts from Brain Attack.

Thanks, Chro. I was quite happy with how the electric blue sparks from the Castle series looked on his cane, and I'm really looking forward to those new fire pieces. Believe me, they are awesome. :D

Beautiful MOC. The almost all-black colour scheme wonderfully contrasts with that lightning around the head (which, along with the staff, gives the MOC a kind of god-like appearence to me). The body and legs are aloso both nicely built. Overall, awesome fellow. (Oh, and a really, really good description.).

Well, I wouldn't call him a god -- he seems more of a Sherlock Holmes type of Gentleman Adventurer to me, rather than a thunder deity like Thor. But thanks for the comment, and I do agree with you, th description was fun to write.

At first I thought it was supposed to be some sort of magician, but a gentlemen works just as well.

I can see what you mean; magicians often have a dapper appearance with a top hat and tails, along with a debonair flair when they do their tricks. That's nice of you to say.

This struck me immediately, because I've recently been working on some MOCs wearing more standard looking human headgear (Got a guy in a cycling helmet type thing, and I did have a top hat as well). Hat looks out of place, but not in a bad way. Its quirky, and rather completes it. I'd perhaps say this could be made better if there was less bulk in the shoulder area. There's not much else I can say on it, I've never set my hands on any HF parts, and I'm feeling less and less confident in my ability to critique HF builds.

The main reason I added that armor in the shoulders was that I was aiming for a sort of bulky cloak-like look, albeit without any actual cape (I don't have any except for the ripped Vezon one, sadly). Otherwise, I feel that the hat is a pretty big part of this guy's character, and I think that it fits in well with his appearance, but I can understand if you think it is a bit out of place. Maybe a bowler would have looked better, but I don't know how I would have made one! :PAnd don't sell yourself short on your critiques; I thought this one was very good. You should buy a Hero Factory set or two if you can. The parts are quite nice, and they fit in perfectly with Bionicle and other Technic parts.~B~

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, this is really nice.I am loving that head, the hat is really cute too. The staff works very well with the electrical-motif you have going here. The layering of the lower legs flows very well with the feet. But seriously, that head is gorgeous, so much character, and it's perfectly shaped <3I only have a few things that I'm not particularly fond of here. The elbow region seems a bit unfinished, kinda screaming for some small tires to fill up the gaps there. Those armor pieces over the HF torso seem a bit tacked on, cause their positioning doesn't really flow with the rest of the armor. The gun is ok, doesn't seem like it's totally necessary though =/

Other than that, this is a really solid MOC.

Ooh, this is really nice.I am loving that head, the hat is really cute too. The staff works very well with the electrical-motif you have going here. The layering of the lower legs flows very well with the feet. But seriously, that head is gorgeous, so much character, and it's perfectly shaped <3I only have a few things that I'm not particularly fond of here. The elbow region seems a bit unfinished, kinda screaming for some small tires to fill up the gaps there. Those armor pieces over the HF torso seem a bit tacked on, cause their positioning doesn't really flow with the rest of the armor. The gun is ok, doesn't seem like it's totally necessary though =/ Other than that, this is a really solid MOC.

I'm glad that you like the head; it's one of the most unique parts of the MOC, in my opinion, and the hat adds the most character to it, since you can only do so much with a Hero Factory visor, even if it has a glowing blue eye/photoreceptor bar. Regarding his elbows, I did not want to put tires around the ball joints for the sole reason that it would severely restrict his arm movement. While the gaps are sadly visible, I think it doesn't look too bad, since he has other small gaps around other joints, such as where his legs attach to his waist. Also, while they do stick out a little bit, I put those extra armor pieces on his lower legs mainly because they snugly fit over the large plates, which seemed empty. Even if they looked tacked-on, they really do flow with the rest of the armor, particularly if you look at Ferris from the front. Also, as Ferris would say, that's not a gun, that's a cigarette holder, you dastardly -- erm, good sir! :P Thanks for replying.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

• 2 weeks later...

I must confess: since bionicle ended I haven't bought a single lego set. Including hero factory. Which makes me oh so lamentably ignorant of that head piece -- however did you do it? Is it an upside down HF helmet? Or is the helmet right side up, and you've just filled in the eye slit with tubing?Also, I love the top hat. It looks excellent. My only gripe with the "gentleman" theme you've chosen is that I sort of wish there was a monocle as well... :P

{Z}

• 2 weeks later...
I must confess: since bionicle ended I haven't bought a single lego set. Including hero factory. Which makes me oh so lamentably ignorant of that head piece -- however did you do it? Is it an upside down HF helmet? Or is the helmet right side up, and you've just filled in the eye slit with tubing?Also, I love the top hat. It looks excellent. My only gripe with the "gentleman" theme you've chosen is that I sort of wish there was a monocle as well... :P
Well, unfortunately there isn't a LEGO monocle piece that I could have used on him. The closest thing is the transparent-lens magnifying glass, but Ferris has more of a photoreceptor bar than discrete eyes anyway, so why would he need a monocle? :P I do agree that it would look very classy, but with his current head design, a connection point would be hard to make.Still, thanks for replying, and thanks for clarifying, Chro.~B~

Elementary, my dear Watson Ballom.

But seriously, for Hero Factory, this is waaaaay beyond awesome =D

Only things I have to note here is that the lightning looks kinda out-of-place, perhaps a Vezon-cloak would be better suited for that spot, and even the most gentlemanly of gentlemen does not need more than one walking cane.

iquXD5X.png

Elementary, my dear Watson Ballom.But seriously, for Hero Factory, this is waaaaay beyond awesome =DOnly things I have to note here is that the lightning looks kinda out-of-place, perhaps a Vezon-cloak would be better suited for that spot, and even the most gentlemanly of gentlemen does not need more than one walking cane.
For Hero Factory? That makes it sound awfully inferior, which it isn't. Anyway, I don't think a refined gentleman like Ferris would wear such a tattered cape like Vezon had, and unfortunately I don't have any other capes to use on him. I admit, if I did have it the Darth Vader cape would probably look pretty spiffy, but as it is I don't have that option. Also, I think him carrying around his own generator is pretty efficient, eh wot? By the way, that's not a second cane in his left hand -- it's an old-fashioned cigarette holder.~B~ Edited by Ballom

For Hero Factory? That makes it sound awfully inferior, which it isn't.

Basically, I meant that the fact that you managed to create such awesome with Hero Factory-parts is just simply amazing. I never managed to create anything even remotely good out of those things =/

Anyway, I don't think a refined gentleman like Ferrous would wear such a tattered cape like Vezon had, and unfortunately I don't have any other capes to use on him. I admit, if I did have it the Darth Vader cape would probably look pretty spiffy, but as it is I don't have that option. Also, I think him carrying around his own generator is pretty efficient, eh wot?

Hmm, if you had two Vezon-cape's, you could perhaps cut away the rough edges, and stitch up the holes? Nah, just buying a Darth Vader-cape would indeed be way more efficient.

By the way, that's not a second cane in his left hand -- it's an old-fashioned cigarette holder.

Oh, now I see. Derp.

(Don't smoke, kids)

iquXD5X.png

For Hero Factory? That makes it sound awfully inferior, which it isn't.

Basically, I meant that the fact that you managed to create such awesome with Hero Factory-parts is just simply amazing. I never managed to create anything even remotely good out of those things =/

Anyway, I don't think a refined gentleman like Ferris would wear such a tattered cape like Vezon had, and unfortunately I don't have any other capes to use on him. I admit, if I did have it the Darth Vader cape would probably look pretty spiffy, but as it is I don't have that option. Also, I think him carrying around his own generator is pretty efficient, eh wot?

Hmm, if you had two Vezon-cape's, you could perhaps cut away the rough edges, and stitch up the holes? Nah, just buying a Darth Vader-cape would indeed be way more efficient.

By the way, that's not a second cane in his left hand -- it's an old-fashioned cigarette holder.

Oh, now I see. Derp.

(Don't smoke, kids)

I am actually trying to order a Darth Vader cape on Bricklink, but again, Ferris's backpack would probably get in the way of a cape. Yes, smoking is very bad and Ferris isn't setting a good example with it (since he's from Victorian England, and that was the style at the time). Also, don't sell yourself short on MOCing -- I haven't seen anything that you might have made with Hero Factory, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. :)

~B~

Edited by Ballom

That is an impressive moc! The smooth flow and general porpotions of the moc make it look like a realustic character,rather than an assembly of parts (I hope I'm making sense).The layering of the colors is also superb.The hat is very well done,it definitely give it the feel you were looking for.The desciption was definitely fun and has as much personality as the moc itself.Even if I was overly picky I don't think I could find anything to criticize about this moc to be honest,well done!

Nice MOC. The hat and the staff is pretty cool.

I'm glad you like those two parts of Ferris's outfit, since those are the parts that make him distinguished. But what did you think of, say, Ferris's face or the generator on his back?

That is an impressive moc! The smooth flow and general porpotions of the moc make it look like a realustic character,rather than an assembly of parts (I hope I'm making sense).The layering of the colors is also superb.The hat is very well done,it definitely give it the feel you were looking for.The desciption was definitely fun and has as much personality as the moc itself.Even if I was overly picky I don't think I could find anything to criticize about this moc to be honest,well done!

I think I understand what you mean, and thank you for replying. Just making Ferris was fun, aside from that delightful little diatribe of his, and I think the Steampunk-esque outfit came together well. He's not without his share of problems -- weak ankles, for one, and top-heaviness due to the generator, aside from his hat constantly falling off due to it literally having to sit on top of half a stud. But overall, he's quite a ripping Hero Factory build, as Ferris might put it. :P~B~