Kapura Animation

emily

For as long as I can recall, it has been a goal of mine to be able to animate my own videos like the ones seen in Mata-Nui Online Game. Recently, I've begun planning a short film in the vein of those done by Templar that accompanied the BIONICLE.com news updates in 2002 and 2003. With the help of funds generated from http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7145]my B/S/T topic[/url] and the fact that Adobe gives you a discount if you are a student, I have acquired Flash. With this vital tool in hand, I have been able to begin animating.

What I have to share today is a short test animation of Kapura. In it, I am familiarizing myself with Flash and Templar's animation style. Kapura goes through several different motions that are common to Matoran/Tohunga.

....I'll stop boring you with words now. The animation is below:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/Flash/kapura.swf]Kapura[/url]

Issues I am already aware of:

- There is a strange and distracting clicking sound after some of the usual mechanical sound effects.

- The frame rate is too fast. I will have to do a bit of tinkering to figure this out. As you probably know, this is also a problem with any of Templar's animations on modern computers.

- Kapura's flame burp was too small and quick. It needs to be made more noticeable, and more closely timed to the sound effect.

The symbols used are all the original creations of Templar Studios, and the sound effects are theirs as well, provided by that project of BIONICLE media. All due credit goes to them.

Enjoy! Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tazakk

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Wow! You have done a great job! This is probably the best attempt at imitating the MNOLG Animations I've ever seen.

How long did it take you to make this, and was there any particular difficulty making it?

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Wow! You have done a great job! This is probably the best attempt at imitating the MNOLG Animations I've ever seen.

How long did it take you to make this, and was there any particular difficulty making it?

___

Thank you! I'm glad it turned out looking close to the original animations.

I am not certain how long exactly it took to make it, but I worked on it for the majority of the previous night and this morning. A lot of that time was consumed was coloring Kapura's various elements and studying "Theft of Fire" frame-by-frame, as well as simply learning how Flash works, as I had only had limited experience previously. I wouldn't say making this was too terribly difficult, once I understood everything.

Edited by Tazakk

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

This is great! The animation looks spot on, right down the the blinking.

To me, it seems like that clicking sound is just a bit of static at the end of each whirring sound, so you can cut off the very end of the sound clip and that should fix the problem. Also as you may or may not know, you can easily control the frame rate in the properties panel of flash. I wish someone would do for Templar's animations, too.

I look forward to seeing what else you make!

This is great! The animation looks spot on, right down the the blinking.

To me, it seems like that clicking sound is just a bit of static at the end of each whirring sound, so you can cut off the very end of the sound clip and that should fix the problem. Also as you may or may not know, you can easily control the frame rate in the properties panel of flash. I wish someone would do for Templar's animations, too.

I look forward to seeing what else you make!

___

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised when I played back the blinking for the first time, as it look exactly like Takua's blink in the final Bohrok animation, despite the fact that I had done it as an unguided attempt.

You're probably right about the clicking sound. That should be easy enough to fix for next time.

I do know that I'm able to change the frame rate, but it got to be tricky when I was trying to imitate Templar's techniques whilst lowering the number of frames - the animation looked incomplete. The obvious solution is to increase the frame rate and move Kapura less per frame, but I worry that it may create a fluidity that might ruin the distinctive appearance of the animation. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, and I just need to find a nice frame rate to settle on.

Thanks again!

Cool man! I don't it's too fast. Maybe the flame burp only.

Thanks. Looking at it again, I suppose it isn't to terribly over speed. I do think I could still tweak it a little, though. And completely redo the flame burp, of course.

This is amazing. You have inspired me to follow one of my old dreams: to make an MNOG movie.-HDXC2000 6.0

___

That's great! Good luck.

Wow! This could almost have come out of the Bohrok Online Animations, as far as I'm concerned. Excellent work!

I wish you luck with your project!

Thank you! I'm glad that it seemed close to Templar's animations.

I have another animation coming along well, so hopefully I will have something more to share later this month.

• 1 month later...

Good Job, Tazakk!

Here's an animation I threw together:

Tahu_Run_Flip

I think it would be cool to someday make an episode that rivales the fight between Onua and Lewa in the nest, which was one of my favorite episodes from the MNOLG.

Very nice animation! I admire your ability to make the Korahk crackle with electricity; that is something I haven't worked out how to do myself.

• 4 weeks later...