• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Set Review: 9473 The Mines of Moria

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,205 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2012 - 12:45 PM

Posted Image Today we review the last Lord of the Rings set from 2012, 9473 The Mines of Moria. Should you travel with the Fellowship into the deep places where dark things lurk? Probably not, but you can read what might be our last review of the year to see if you should buy this set! http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=5896]View the full article[/url]

#2 Offline Overlord

Overlord
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2012 - 03:37 PM

This was actually my favorite of the recent reviews - quite comprehensive.  If this set goes on sale I'd certainly buy it if I could.

~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

#3 Online Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,839 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2012 - 03:42 PM

Very good review, although reading complaints about stickers being bad as a matter of principle gets kind of old. It would have been good to know exactly WHICH of the stickered pieces you felt should have been prints instead, because there's no way a set would have ALL those patterns printed. That would be the very definition of wasteful, particularly with many of the patterns that are extremely specific to this scene and as such would be utterly useless in future applications.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#4 Offline Devorath

Devorath
  • Members
  • Toa

• 182 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2012 - 05:11 PM

I ALWAYS click the Amazon link! :( Nice review! Good to see that the troll wiped the cake of his face before taking the photos! ;)

DevBannerwithInterests.png

#5 Online Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,084 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Dec 29 2012 - 06:09 PM

Very good review, although reading complaints about stickers being bad as a matter of principle gets kind of old. It would have been good to know exactly WHICH of the stickered pieces you felt should have been prints instead, because there's no way a set would have ALL those patterns printed. That would be the very definition of wasteful, particularly with many of the patterns that are extremely specific to this scene and as such would be utterly useless in future applications.

I would have like to see printed:
    [*]The 1x4 brown tiles with woodgrain stickers (especially since similar ones already exist)[*]The 2x2 brown tiles with woddgrain stickers[*]The 1x4 light grey tiles with brick stickers[*]The 1x4 light grey tiles with stone stickers.[/list]Obviously things like Balin's headstone and the 1x4x4 panels have designs that are was too customized to reuse, but the above I think would have plenty of use.

#6 Offline Booker DeWitt

Booker DeWitt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 5,508 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 30 2012 - 12:54 PM

BALIN AS IN BALIN FROM THE HOBBIT?! Revelation to me. I really know nothing about LotR and The Hobbit, but I do enjoy them and they've led to some great sets, particularly this one which is probably my favourite from the first wave.

- Tilius

stendan.jpg

#7 Offline Pantera

Pantera
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 355 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 31 2012 - 05:48 PM

Got it from my birthday yesterday. It was pretty awesome!

If you're short on weapons, this set is great for that; from the minifig's to the Heroica weapons.

One question, why are the Heroica weapons included? Were they in the movie?

If not, TLG was very generous with what weapons we got. :D

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

#8 Online Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,084 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 05:19 PM

Got it from my birthday yesterday. It was pretty awesome!If you're short on weapons, this set is great for that; from the minifig's to the Heroica weapons. One question, why are the Heroica weapons included? Were they in the movie? If not, TLG was very generous with what weapons we got. :D

------------------

My guess is the Heroica weapons are supposed to represent all the old and discarded ones lying around the tomb.

#9 Offline Aaron Nuva

Aaron Nuva
  • Members
  • Toa

• 154 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 02 2013 - 11:02 AM

BALIN AS IN BALIN FROM THE HOBBIT?! Revelation to me. I really know nothing about LotR and The Hobbit, but I do enjoy them and they've led to some great sets, particularly this one which is probably my favourite from the first wave.

- Tilius

Second in command to Thorin, catapulted from his grave. Sorry but it's much too grim to take seriously.

#10 Offline KanohiCelt

KanohiCelt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Defender of Freedom

• 3,105 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jan 10 2013 - 10:14 PM

Good review.  The Troll is hideous.  Love it!  :alert:

CELTMAN THE FIERCE
Kanohi Collectors Guild
Secret Handshake Society