• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Weakened joints

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,371 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Dec 30 2012 - 06:57 PM

So I got my Bionicles out for the first time in a few months yesterday. They had been in a suit case before that. When I got them out I noticed some of the ball joints seemed a bit loose and would flop around a bit. It was mainly on the Piraka Torso(of which it was actually the "male" part that was causing the trouble, and the Y joints that ate used on Titans and have the axil port at the end. 

Just wondered if it had anything to do with keeping them in storage. This ever happened to any one?

#2 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Hat Enterprises CEO

• 04-September 06
  • 11,322 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Dec 30 2012 - 08:52 PM

[font="Palatino;"]Were they cold? I've noticed that cold plastic tends to shrink a bit.[/font]

Posted Image

#3 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,371 posts

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 09:19 AM

[font="Palatino;"]Were they cold? I've noticed that cold plastic tends to shrink a bit.[/font]

Yes. That must be why. I dont really know how i can keep them warm in winter though 

#4 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 07-December 12
  • 1,541 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 11:56 AM

Okay...if there is still enough room in the suit case, then put a blanket in there. But you might want to put the blanket first before putting the Bionicles in. But if they don't fit altogether well...I tried.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#5 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 05-September 10
  • 2,227 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 12:55 PM

Well... where are you keeping them? If it's a garage or something, try moving it indoors. If it's in your house, I'd say you have a far bigger problem.

eW9kyVR.png

#6 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,371 posts

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 01:20 PM

Well... where are you keeping them? If it's a garage or something, try moving it indoors. If it's in your house, I'd say you have a far bigger problem.

Its in the house, although its in the hall way where there is no radiator. Soon, when I move rooms, they will be under my bed where there is a radiator in my room. Might sort the problem

#7 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 05-September 10
  • 2,227 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 01:23 PM

Its in the house, although its in the hall way where there is no radiator. Soon, when I move rooms, they will be under my bed where there is a radiator in my room. Might sort the problem

Yes, you might want to try moving it into a room as opposed to a hallway.

eW9kyVR.png

#8 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,371 posts

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 01:24 PM

Ill do that. In all fairness I dodnt even know the cold caused them harm. Thanks anyway guys

#9 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 05-September 10
  • 2,227 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ill do that. In all fairness I dodnt even know the cold caused them harm. Thanks anyway guys

I wouldn't be too concerned about the ball joints themselves, they'll return to normal at room temperature. However, the rubber in the Y sockets might have some problems and may remain loose.

eW9kyVR.png

#10 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,371 posts

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 03:11 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about the ball joints themselves, they'll return to normal at room temperature. However, the rubber in the Y sockets might have some problems and may remain loose.

Instead of buying new ones, Im going to try and get some of those friction adders from HF. Work a treat.

#11 Offline Dual Cee

Dual Cee
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 22-October 12
  • 1,306 posts

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 03:47 PM

Plastic shrinks in cold, so the sockets and joints will shrink, but the balls remain the same, so what once fitted doesn't anymore, and snap, the sockets are broken.

Edited by Dual Matrix, Jan 01 2013 - 03:48 PM.

I'm back!

#12 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,371 posts

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 03:57 PM

Plastic shrinks in cold, so the sockets and joints will shrink, but the balls remain the same, so what once fitted doesn't anymore, and snap, the sockets are broken.

Well if anything the sockets are too big for the ball joint

#13 Offline Great Being Velika

Great Being Velika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Low brass will rule the world

• 29-August 12
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 01 2013 - 05:31 PM

I think it depends. I have some old sets, and they're fine while even some newer sets have weakish joints.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users