My Theory on Tamaru

Tamaru was never released as a set

Hm. I guess I just assumed so since they have a set form image there. There were several "bonus" sets, and with our Set DB not working I couldn't check. I suppose the page would have mentioned that though, huh? So are we left with only MNOG2 for the bluegreen thing? *thinks*Well, no. Kongu's bluegreen was cyanified in MNOG too, so it's logical to conclude the same for Tamaru. Anywho.

As for colours, the electric-looking teal (or cyan) in the first MNOLG is just an overly bright interpretation of McToran Kongu's teal.

Right; cyan itself is a form of bluegreen technically, but most people don't realize this and just think of it as blue. Anyways, point is, the cyan is non-canon.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hm. I guess I just assumed so since they have a set form image there. There were several "bonus" sets, and with our Set DB not working I couldn't check. I suppose the page would have mentioned that though, huh?

(end quote)

If I recall, in early 2002 the Matoran section of Bionicle.com had six pages for the six McToran characters. Then a seventh page was added for Nuparu when the Boxor was released. Later in the year, a load of other pages were added covering the rest of the named Matoran from the MNOLG and Bohrok animations, Tamaru among them. Although these characters were never released as sets, they were given set-looking images in the same style as the once-released McToran. That's where the image towards the bottom of Tamaru's BS01 page comes from.

I wish Lego had released more of those early Matoran; I don't like the skeletal forms they took in 2003.

As for colours, the electric-looking teal (or cyan) in the first MNOLG is just an overly bright interpretation of McToran Kongu's teal.

Right; cyan itself is a form of bluegreen technically, but most people don't realize this and just think of it as blue. Anyways, point is, the cyan is non-canon.

(end quote)

I don't think you need to go as far as 'non-canon', it's just a small mistake.

Edited by Sir Kohran

if he wasn't an actual le-matoran, I would like to see him be a matoran of the green, since the only known "green" characters are jungle (bara magna version). It'd be nice for a diffrent element.

Hm. I guess I just assumed so since they have a set form image there. There were several "bonus" sets, and with our Set DB not working I couldn't check. I suppose the page would have mentioned that though, huh?

(end quote)

If I recall, in early 2002 the Matoran section of Bionicle.com had six pages for the six McToran characters. Then a seventh page was added for Nuparu when the Boxor was released. Later in the year, a load of other pages were added covering the rest of the named Matoran from the MNOLG and Bohrok animations, Tamaru among them. Although these characters were never released as sets, they were given set-looking images in the same style as the once-released McToran. That's where the image towards the bottom of Tamaru's BS01 page comes from.

I wish Lego had released more of those early Matoran; I don't like the skeletal forms they took in 2003.

(end quote)

I don't even think it counts as a mistake. It's just a slightly different depiction of the same color. Perhaps the makers of the online game wanted the colors to be a little brighter?

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

(end quote)

I don't even think it counts as a mistake. It's just a slightly different depiction of the same color. Perhaps the makers of the online game wanted the colors to be a little brighter?

The Le-Matoran colours were definitely darkened between the two MNOLGs. Compare:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091030150010/bioniclereviews/images/thumb/5/54/Kongu_Tohunga.png/200px-Kongu_Tohunga.png

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/thumb/0/06/Kongu.png/250px-Kongu.png

Of course, there's no way of knowing whether this was intentional, but I still don't think there's a need to apply the term 'non-canon' to something as trivial as a secondary colour in a computer game.

Methinks you're overthinking it. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think Tamaru might be a makuta in disguise, because he's slightly different. Or maybe he's a great being that has been planning to destry Velika. OR...

In all seriousness, though, Tamaru might be a Toa of the Green. The "leaf running" makes me think that they are at home in the hights of the trees, but perhaps not in other high places (a mountain or gukko, for example)

But I still like a Le-Matoran who doesn't like to fly.

Guest Takua the Chronicler7

Speaking of unusual Matoran colors like Tamaru's, how come the other Matoran tend to accept them? Like the fact that the other Matoran don't say anything. Another example is Takua. He is a blue "Ta-Matoran" and no one says anything about it. I never seen any blue Ta-Matoran before, but the other Ta-Matoran seem to accept that. At least we've seen Le-Matoran of similar colors like Tamaru, such as Kongu, but as we know, Kongu turned into a Toa of Air, not a Toa of Light. However, the Order of Mata Nui did a better job on Tamaru than Takua on the color scheme if Tamaru was an Av-Matoran. Anyway, in my opinion, Tamaru is either a Le-Matoran or a Matoran of the Green

Speaking of unusual Matoran colors like Tamaru's,

Why is this still being brought up? Tamaru's colours are consistent with those of Kongu and several other Le-Matoran.

Another example is Takua. He is a blue "Ta-Matoran" and no one says anything about it. I never seen any blue Ta-Matoran before, but the other Ta-Matoran seem to accept that.
I agree it's strange that no-one who meets him in the MNOLG ever comments on his blue mask.

Speaking of unusual Matoran colors like Tamaru's, how come the other Matoran tend to accept them? Like the fact that the other Matoran don't say anything. Another example is Takua. He is a blue "Ta-Matoran" and no one says anything about it. I never seen any blue Ta-Matoran before, but the other Ta-Matoran seem to accept that. At least we've seen Le-Matoran of similar colors like Tamaru, such as Kongu, but as we know, Kongu turned into a Toa of Air, not a Toa of Light. However, the Order of Mata Nui did a better job on Tamaru than Takua on the color scheme if Tamaru was an Av-Matoran. Anyway, in my opinion, Tamaru is either a Le-Matoran or a Matoran of the Green

For the most part there are no unusual colors. As Kohran said, Tamaru is fully within the normal range. For Takua, Greg confirmed blue is in the range of normal colors for fire, it's just rare. (Hot fire is blue.) Thus, there would really be others with blue in their color scheme walking around Ta-Metru/Koro, we just never happened to see them "on camera". If any of them thought that strange, they would just look around at the others who have that color and realize it's normal.

Also, what do you mean by "accept"? As far as we know there's no actual racism if you mean anything like that. They might think it's odd but it's just a color. At the most, all they would imagine it would mean is that they might be actually of a different element and might have forgotten so; this would have no negative connotations. More likely they are glad that there's more variety as it's harder to tell them apart at a glance than humans since so many of their "faces" (the masks) are the same. Color schemes are a big part of how they recognize individuals. So they probably look at it like we look at different faces; a good thing.

They might also simply think he had an accident and have to wear a different mask, or that he has a blue mask as a sign of respect and/or preference after having been around the island.The main reason no one comments on Takua's mask - and only his actions - is that the MNOG kept the player's looks in the dark until the final few scenes. The scene with the Ussal crab ride from Kini-Nui was the first time we even saw the player Matoran's eyes, and then he was fully revealed once he descended into Makuta's lair. The game does reference some events from the Game Boy Advance game where you play as Takua (such as Vakama mentioning Takua retrieving his staff in the ending), but for the most part you were not supposed to know exactly who or what you are.

The main reason no one comments on Takua's mask - and only his actions - is that the MNOG kept the player's looks in the dark until the final few scenes. The scene with the Ussal crab ride from Kini-Nui was the first time we even saw the player Matoran's eyes, and then he was fully revealed once he descended into Makuta's lair. The game does reference some events from the Game Boy Advance game where you play as Takua (such as Vakama mentioning Takua retrieving his staff in the ending), but for the most part you were not supposed to know exactly who or what you are.

Good point. I think the characters could've commented on him looking unusual without giving away anything specific, but I suppose it was the world around them that was meant to be the subject of the mystery.