A question about Makuta telepathy

My question is this: how powerful is a Makuta’s telepathic ability?

Because in Legends 11: The Final Battle Mutran uses his telepathic ability to send gibberish at Makuta Icarax.

But in the 2004/2005 saga Makuta Teridax uses his telepathic ability to contact Sidorak and Roodaka, but it is never mentioned how far away they were. It is quite probable that they were both at least a kio away.

Is this longer reaching telepathy common for all Makuta, or does only Teridax have that ability and all other Makuta have telepathy similar to what Mutran displayed?

Biosector01 only mentions that the Makuta have telepathic powers, but does not say the extent of their power.

I really hope that all Makuta have quite powerful telepathy (it works very well with a story I am writing), but I am not sure which is correct :notsure:.

Well, at one point Icarax called Vultraz telepathically when he was in Karda Nui, but the "signal" was described as being weak, both because of the distance and because Icarax had just been devolved by Ignika.

Teridax would have been an especially powerful telepath, since he was so intelligent and had such strong willpower. While he probably wouldn't be able to use a mental attack on a being halfway across the universe, I'm sure he could send a message to Sidorak and Roodaka (or at least one of them).

In any case, the more a Makuta practiced and developed their telepathy, the more powerful it would be. Different Makuta seem to have different favorite or signature powers, such as Chirox's well-controlled Shadow Hand.

In addition, the "mental attack" part of telepathy that Mutran used was also used by Kongu with his Suletu, so I think any telepath can do that. The range and strength of telepathy would always depend on the skill and power of the user, qualities which Makuta possess in abundance. :)

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

The power of a Makuta's telepathic ability would depend on the willpower of the Makuta. I'm sure all Makuta could reach others at long range with their telepathy power, but their willpower would determine how far their reach would be.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

If this is for a fanfic, it's up to you. :P But we can discuss it anyways.

I would think that all of them are that powerful, or some mention of a special trait inherent to him probably would have been mentioned.

That said, we probably should NOT just assume that he communicated over that distance all on his own. There's any number of ways he could have gotten around a distance limit that was too short. He could have contacted a messenger of some kind that was closer and had them travel. Or perhaps his deep knowledge of the MU's functions could give him mental access to something like a broadcast booster. Still, most likely he did.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Just kidding, but I saw no mention of that gibberish thing. Do you have a scan of that page?
Here, let me transcribe it:
That was when [Gorast] spotted Mutran, far off to the west. He was dispatching a shadow Matoran on some unknown mission, and when that was done, he glanced toward where Vamprah and Icarax were fighting. He looked about as eager to join that battle as a Matoran of Stone is to join a group swim.Too bad the fool doesn't have a choice, Gorast said to herself as she shot toward him. Before Mutran could protest, she was dragging him toward the scene of the clash."I need you to send your thoughts into Icarax's mind," she hissed. "Any thoughts. Screams. Babble. Anything so that he does not pick up on what I am sending to Vamprah."Mutran nodded. That seemed relatively safe - safer, at any rate, than saying no to an enraged Gorast."Then do it now."Mutran sent a telepathic wave of white noise at Icarax. As he did so, Gorast sent a mental message of her own to Vamprah. Once she was sure it had been received, she moved in to attack.
From what I can read, that was just Mutran mentally "screaming" at Icarax. Think about it: if someone screams at you out of the blue, will you pick up on someone else whispering on the other side of the room?

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Well, at one point Icarax called Vultraz telepathically when he was in Karda Nui, but the "signal" was described as being weak, both because of the distance and because Icarax had just been devolved by Ignika.

Teridax would have been an especially powerful telepath, since he was so intelligent and had such strong willpower. While he probably wouldn't be able to use a mental attack on a being halfway across the universe, I'm sure he could send a message to Sidorak and Roodaka (or at least one of them).

In any case, the more a Makuta practiced and developed their telepathy, the more powerful it would be. Different Makuta seem to have different favorite or signature powers, such as Chirox's well-controlled Shadow Hand.

In addition, the "mental attack" part of telepathy that Mutran used was also used by Kongu with his Suletu, so I think any telepath can do that. The range and strength of telepathy would always depend on the skill and power of the user, qualities which Makuta possess in abundance. :)

The power of a Makuta's telepathic ability would depend on the willpower of the Makuta. I'm sure all Makuta could reach others at long range with their telepathy power, but their willpower would determine how far their reach would be.

Yes! I was really hoping for an answer like this :happy:. It does make sense for their telepathic powers to work better and go farther the more they concentrate. Thanks :)

If this is for a fanfic, it's up to you. :P But we can discuss it anyways.

I would think that all of them are that powerful, or some mention of a special trait inherent to him probably would have been mentioned.

That said, we probably should NOT just assume that he communicated over that distance all on his own. There's any number of ways he could have gotten around a distance limit that was too short. He could have contacted a messenger of some kind that was closer and had them travel. Or perhaps his deep knowledge of the MU's functions could give him mental access to something like a broadcast booster. Still, most likely he did.

Actually its for my story that I am going to enter in the Lesovikk hiatus contest, so I want it to be as accurate as I can get it. Thats true that there are many ways for Teridax to send his message to Roodaka and Sidorak. Maybe all Makuta have powerful telepathic powers, but they are not strong to communicate over very very large distances without using another technique in conjunction with their telepathy.

Mutran: One word for you. Haboojigaboodjigoogoo.

Just kidding, but I saw no mention of that gibberish thing. Do you have a scan of that page?

I do not have a scan of the page but here is the bit:

'"I need you to send your thoughts into Icarax's mind," she hissed "Any thoughts. Screams. Babble. Anything so he does not pick up on what I am sending to Vamprah.”

Mutran nodded. That seamed relatively safe—safer, at any rate, then saying no to an enraged Gorast.

“Then do it now.”

Mutran sent a telepathic wave of white noise at Icarax. As he did so, Gorast sent a mental message of her own to Vamprah.’

Hope that helps and sorry that I did not reply sooner.