Nescent

Tons of people look down on it, and tons of people love it. And tons of people just like Skrillex. Does anyone hear listen to Dubstep? If so, what are your favorite Dubstep artists? For those who don't know, Dubstep is a genre of electronic music. Most Dubstep sounds unoriginal, so you can't really classify most songs as unique. However, lots of different Dubstep artists have unique styles of producing their music, and are instantly recognizable by their style of production. Anyways, Dubstep is rave music that focusses on bass wobbles, kick and snare, bass wobbles, pads, and bass. Skrillex is a world-renowned producer who claims to make Dubstep, and although he makes arguably good music, most Dubstep lovers hate him for focussing on House Glitch, mids and highs, and not really making Dubstep at all... Furthermore, Brostep is a genre of Dubstep created by Rusko, which focusses on mids and highs (but not really Skrillex, since his music is mostly House Glitch). A good example of this is Everyday by Rusko. So there's my rant introduction to Dubstep. My favorite artists are, in no particular order: Excision, Datsik, Skream, Flux Pavilion, Doctor P, Skrillex, Klaypex, Durtysneakz, Downlink, Funtcase, Rusko, and the UKF compilations. Discuss, and please refrain from flaming [if this topic gets any posts].

Edited by Jeordeon

IetTsFQ.png

I like dubstep, but generally prefer glitched-out trip hop music of guys like Baths, Nosaj Thing and Slugabed. I do listen to a lot of Skrillex (who is at least kind of dubsteppy with the wobbles in the bass) and a lot of Starkey and Emalkay.

I like dubstep, but most of the time I just listen to random songs on UFK rather than actual bands/artists. The exception being Nero and Klaypex, the latter being my favourite. I honestly don't like Skrillex that much. I don't know exactly what it is, but I like to think it's because there's not the same flow, rhythm and melody as with Klaypex. I know some people classify his music as hardcore dubstep, so maybe it's just the hardcore part.

I like dubstep, but most of the time I just listen to random songs on UFK rather than actual bands/artists. The exception being Nero and Klaypex, the latter being my favourite. I honestly don't like Skrillex that much. I don't know exactly what it is, but I like to think it's because there's not the same flow, rhythm and melody as with Klaypex. I know some people classify his music as hardcore dubstep, so maybe it's just the hardcore part.

Skrillex definitely inspired Klaypex, but I get what you mean. Skrillex's music is all over the place. Also, I'm pretty sure that Nero makes drum & bass. Maybe I'm mistaken though. You should look up the compilation Circus One by Doctor P and Flux Pavilion. It's got some great tracks, as well as a really good mix.

IetTsFQ.png

Nero is a DnB/dubstep duo. I know that tracks like "Innosence" and "Promises" are dubstep.But a lot of DnB music today uses dubstep elements (like Pendulum's latest album), at least what I hear.Maybe you should have called this a dubstep/DnB topic. :P

Ah yes, I forgot about Innocence. What a good song.Noisestorm does great DnB Dubstep. Aaaaand I do not hear any Dubstep in Immersion =/

IetTsFQ.png

I like listening to the UK dubstep Skream makes. Great to just listen to. He's an excellent producer in this field.Skrillex? I agree with your terminology. He doesn't make dubstep, he makes glitch-y French-inspired music that just happens to be 140BPM. I remember that SebastiAn "Love In Motion" remix. 'Twas awkward for Skrillex to post that image XD

What don't you like about it?

it's too synthetic sounding. the music takes virtually no talent to make because it's all done digitally. most, if not all, of the beats are repetitive and annoying.
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

it's too synthetic sounding.

I don't quite understand.

the music takes virtually no talent to make because it's all done digitally.

It's Electronic music, though. Just because it's produced digitally does not mean that it takes no talent to make. Have you used Logic Pro and Ableton Live to try and produce a professional Electronic song? It's not as easy as it seems. But I indubitably agree that Dubstep does not stand out as original, because it's so incredibly simplistic.

most, if not all, of the beats are repetitive and annoying.

Dubstep is typically known as the EDM genre with less-repetetive beats. Look at House, which has a static, continuous beat throughout every song. Look at Trance, which has incredibly simple beats most of the time. Dubstep artists can mess around however they see fit, so there's a lot of range in the kick/snare aspect of a song. But yes, if a particular artist emphasizes the beat too much (lots of Datsik's music), it can sound repetitive - especially if EDM isn't really your preference of music.

IetTsFQ.png

I'm not a particular fan of dubstep, but I do have to admit some of the dances/videos people make to dubstep are pretty dang cool.

Have you seen "Dubstep Guns" by Klaypex? Or how about "First of the Year (Equinox)" by Skrillex? That one had me on edge xP

IetTsFQ.png

I don't get Dubstep. It sounds like It'd warp your brain after listening to it enough. It's annoying though, practically all of my friends are into Dubstep, they listen to it almost every day, but I just can't see the attraction. Last I checked, random techno noises do not count as music.

\/ The user below me is dumb a neat guy. \/

I don't get Dubstep. It sounds like It'd warp your brain after listening to it enough. It's annoying though, practically all of my friends are into Dubstep, they listen to it almost every day, but I just can't see the attraction. Last I checked, random techno noises do not count as music.

This is the number one criticism of Dubstep. People who don't get it just hear noises, and hold that against it. One thing is certain, you need a good stereo system to truly enjoy it. Half of Dubstep is expressed in bass, with satellites complementing it (pads/drums/synths). But if you're one of the quadrillion people who listen to music without delving into it, then you can't feel the bass and you can't enjoy Dubstep. Furthermore, don't listen to it on your iPod unless you genuinely like it. It'll sound awful :P I know I sound like I worship Dubstep religiously, but I don't. I'm just too stubborn to make a low-key argument. :sneaky:

IetTsFQ.png

It's decent. I used to listen to it all the time, but I'm too tired nowadays. :P It's great for getting you pumped, and I usually listen to it while I play video games. I really like Flux Pavilion, Skrillex is decent. Some of my favorite songs are "Cinema" by Skrillex, "Cracks" by Flux Pavilion, "Sunlight" by Modestep, "Gold Dust" by Flux Pavilion, and "Blue Skies" by Flux Pavilion. Oh, and the music video for "First of the Year" by Skrillex is intense. Watch it.

Edited by Oni
oniban.png

It's decent. I used to listen to it all the time, but I'm too tired nowadays. :P It's great for getting you pumped, and I usually listen to it while I play video games. I really like Flux Pavilion, Skrillex is decent. Some of my favorite songs are "Cinema" by Skrillex, "Cracks" by Flux Pavilion, "Sunlight" by Modestep, "Gold Dust" by Flux Pavilion, and "Blue Skies" by Flux Pavilion.

Yes, those are some very good tracks. I feel like I should say, Cinema was originally made by Benny Benassi, but it was horrible (as was the rest of his newest album :confused: ), and Cracks was made by Freestylers, and awesomely remixed by Flux Pavilion. I forget who made Gold Dust, but it's the same story. I haven't heard of the other two tracks.,, But those three are really good :) I love the Cinema remix very much

IetTsFQ.png

It's decent. I used to listen to it all the time, but I'm too tired nowadays. :P It's great for getting you pumped, and I usually listen to it while I play video games. I really like Flux Pavilion, Skrillex is decent. Some of my favorite songs are "Cinema" by Skrillex, "Cracks" by Flux Pavilion, "Sunlight" by Modestep, "Gold Dust" by Flux Pavilion, and "Blue Skies" by Flux Pavilion.

Yes, those are some very good tracks. I feel like I should say, Cinema was originally made by Benny Benassi, but it was horrible (as was the rest of his newest album :confused: ), and Cracks was made by Freestylers, and awesomely remixed by Flux Pavilion. I forget who made Gold Dust, but it's the same story. I haven't heard of the other two tracks.,, But those three are really good :) I love the Cinema remix very much
Yeah, that's what I meant. I was going to say they were all remixed, but I figured it wasn't important. And you should really check out Sunlight at least, Blue Skies is probably my least favorite, but it's still pretty good. Edited by Oni
oniban.png

This is the number one criticism of Dubstep. People who don't get it just hear noises, and hold that against it. One thing is certain, you need a good stereo system to truly enjoy it. Half of Dubstep is expressed in bass, with satellites complementing it (pads/drums/synths). But if you're one of the quadrillion people who listen to music without delving into it, then you can't feel the bass and you can't enjoy Dubstep. Furthermore, don't listen to it on your iPod unless you genuinely like it. It'll sound awful :P I know I sound like I worship Dubstep religiously, but I don't. I'm just too stubborn to make a low-key argument. :sneaky:
I think the deal with this criticism here is that dubstep, as I see it, is less about flow and rhytm that most other genres of music.

I think the deal with this criticism here is that dubstep, as I see it, is less about flow and rhytm that most other genres of music.
It's more that the flow of Dubstep is more physical than emotional, and more "caveman-like." I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

IetTsFQ.png

never been a fan of it. errebody just raves over how great it is and i'm just like 'it's not that good" most of it just feels really soulless to me. it's really outplayed right now. not enough variety i guess? i dunno, i just don't get it.

that argument doesn't even make sense. most people don't have great stereo systems and/or listen to music on less-than-great headphones. considering dubstep's immense popularity, the whole "you need a good stereo system" doesn't work at all. also you really shouldn't have to delve too deep into music to enjoy it. i'm not saying you need to automatically love something instantly to enjoy it, but there should be something good enough that makes you want to go deeper. also i'm 100% certain that you don't need to be super into music to feel the bass. people blasting their stereos on the highway have proven that to me. and one final thing - iPods have fine audio quality. it's not audiophile quality, but it's more than serviceable for the population that aren't audiophiles (which is probably something like 99%) Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

never been a fan of it. errebody just raves over how great it is and i'm just like 'it's not that good" most of it just feels really soulless to me. it's really outplayed right now. not enough variety i guess? i dunno, i just don't get it.

Most mainstream Dubstep is soulless, and most Dubstep is mainstream. It is way too popular, but that's pretty easy to overlook. You don't have to listen to mainstream stuff. Also, there is little to no variety. It's a very simple genre, so Dubstep is the least dynamic EDM genre. But I like it anyways. Basically, the three types of Dubstep are old-school Dubstep (more laid back, with more focus on kick/snare than bass - such as Rusko and Skream), modern American Dubstep (more focus on filthy bass, like Excision and Flux Pavilion), and House Glitch stuff (the most mainstream type, like Skrillex and Klaypex). I personally like them all =D

IetTsFQ.png

don't worry, i know plenty about dubstep - i'm just not a fan also i don't mind the popularity - seriously i can deal with something being popular. i'm not a hipster or anything. i just don't enjoy it also take the time to read the edit, i posted that way too fast haha

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg