What's Your Favorite Movie Trailer?

TahuForever!

Pretty sure this is the right forum...

Anyway, I'm a bit of a nut for a good movie trailer. Trailers that tell a good story, have good music, and are just plain cool I love. Particularly the more epic ones. Do you love a good trailer, too? Trailers that stick with you, whose music contines to echo in your mind for years to come? Trailers that tell gripping stories, holding powerful meaningful for you? Or trailers that are just plain cool? So I'm here to ask you: "What's your favorite movie trailer?"

First I'll tell you my favorites. There are four.

10,000 B.C.: One of my all-time favorite movies, complete with two awesome trailers. (although this still counts as one of the four) The first trailer gives a general overview of what to expect from the ancient world, combined with epic drum music to make for one cool trailer. The second trailer digs deeper into the story, and features equally awe-inspiring music.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: I think this one works through the story very well, and who will ever forget that introduction to the whirlpool, or that awesome choir letting it all loose as Jack and Jones duel it out on a mast? Terrifically exciting music all the way through.

Avatar: Ah, the most financially successful movie of all time, complete with an awesome trailer. Beautiful visuals, a gripping and meaningful story, glazed over with great music that builds to a spine-tingling crescendo as the trailer moves along. And I ain't talkin' about the 2-minute trailer, I mean the full-length 4-minute one. Well, 3:40 to be exact.

Iron Man 3: They obviously went all out with this one. What such story could be more epic? Here this guy who's basically on the tippy-top of the world, suffering from nightmares and ultimately getting his butt kicked and being thrown down the long, long way to the ground, and forced to try and survive on his own wits? Opposed by a criminal mastermind and leader of (assumably) a huge and widespread terrorist organization. Okay, so this one hasn't come out yet, we'll see if the movie lives up to the trailer. But then, I guess they always do when this much work goes into the trailer. And what beautiful epic music (complete with choir, always a tremendous plus) that as always, builds up to an awesome crescendo!

So what about you? And I'm talkin' PG-13 or less movies, don't give me anything higher than that, alright?

After five long years. . . The Master of Fire is back!

... May I ask what you have against trailers for R rated movies? :blink:

Even though you said you didn't want them, the trailers for Alien, Cloud Atlas (5:40 minute trailer), and Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford*, and True Grit (2010). are probably my favorite. The first one is tense and builds mystery without revealing the monster or half the plot. I found it funny that the trailers for Prometheus were a direct homage to the Alien trailer... but someone seemed to forget why it was an effective trailer in the first place when they basically revealed the entire movie.

The six minute trailer for Cloud Atlas is gorgeous, and provides an emotional ride of its own. Haven't actually seen the movie yet.

The Assassination of Jesse James trailer does a perfect job of capturing the heavy atmosphere and melancholic tone of the movie. I would have preferred they not spoil the particular music piece used, but it works incredibly well.

For a PG-13 movie, I'd have to say the first trailer for the Coen Brother's True Grit. The hymnal music with Deakin's cinematography is quite lovely.

While three of those are R rated movies, there's nothing objectionable in any of the trailers that saw. There's implied violence in the Cloud Atlas and Alien trailer, but it's nothing worse than what was seen in the trailers for True Grit, or even The Dark Knight Rises (also PG-13). There is also a mumbled/cut off swear word in the Cloud Atlas trailer.

*The second trailer which uses music from the original score.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Mmm, just about every 'green band' trailer should be allowed, IMO. Red band trailers are a no go, obviously. :P

Anyway, I found the trailers for The Dark Knight Rises rather powerful.

Also, the third trailer (with music by Two Steps) for Star Trek was really amazing. Along with the trailers for Star Trek Into Darkness. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

• 3 weeks later...

To answer your question, Vorahk: A), because I don't care much for the R-rated myself, given that they have more violence or inappropriate content than I care for in a movie, just not my taste, and B) I doubt if the BZPower staff would appreciate references to such movies. :) However, let's see here... You mean "Alien" from 1979, yes? For it's time it had a nice effect, I especially liked the beginning, but later on was more creepy and horror-esque, which isn't my taste, and I thought the ending was kind of corny. The Cloud Atlas trailer was... Interesting. The concept of people being linked across time is an interesting romantic notion. Plus I thought the futuristic city was cool. And the music was nice. I didn't care much for the Jesse James trailers. I didn't really get the point of the story. It is a nice music piece in there, though. True Grit looks interesting. I like the tough guy bounty hunter with the eyepatch. And it's Jeff Bridges? Neat. A tough guy like him getting straddled with a little girl always makes for an amusing dynamic, too. Valenti, yeah, the Dark Knight Rises trailers are really cool, too. :) And hey, wow, that Star Trek trailer was really good. it's just too bad I was disappointed with the movie itself. On a semi-related note, I like the extendable sword belonging to the Asian guy, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense to have one in that day and age. Maybe I'll like Into Darkness more. It does look pretty good. Giant, Pacific Rim looks like a fun one. Giant alien monsters vs. giant robots? Awesome. I do love sci-fi. (clean sci-fi, anyway) Looks like some cool tech in there. Gotta love those hologram screens. And the giant robots are, amusingly and befittingly, reminiscent of a certain giant 'bot from the Bionicle storyline. ;) On another note, who else saw the Iron Man 3 Extended Preview during the superbowl today? First half was funny, second half was pretty cool.

Edited by Takuaka: Toa of Time

After five long years. . . The Master of Fire is back!

Pacific Rim.

Just.

Pacific.

Rim.

Seriously, everything I love, plus GLaDOS, plus amazing cinematography, plus possible Lovecraftian abominations? Now that is what a want in a trailer.

Blast it! you stole my movie trailer choice. well, I suppose now that Pacific Rim is taken, my favorite movie trailer is The Legend Reborn.

Valenti, yeah, the Dark Knight Rises trailers are really cool, too. :) And hey, wow, that Star Trek trailer was really good. it's just too bad I was disappointed with the movie itself. On a semi-related note, I like the extendable sword belonging to the Asian guy, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense to have one in that day and age. Maybe I'll like Into Darkness more. It does look pretty good.

Hehe, loved Star Trek, myself. ^^

Speakng of which, the new Star Trek Into Darkness Superbowl trailer was sweeeet.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~