PAB Amphibious Boat

First and foremost, check out the Video!

It's not much to look at, but the main purpose of this was to make a purist Lego amphibious vehicle. I used two PAB containers to give it the bouyancy it needed to float, and two XL Power Functions motors to run it. The hull is detatchable- it's too heavy to float with, but it looks nice on land.

Backstory goes as follows:

" There was an old hillbilly who decided to get rich hoarding the diminishing supply of Helium, so he did, and he build a boat around it to distribute it. Or something like that. The end."

All components

Floating (it's hard to tell, but it's always floating by several inches)

Without hull

Back angle

Cockpit front

Fishing

More pictures

C&C much appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Edited by Obsessionist

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Yeah, are there any problems with the NXT parts getting wet, or anything? Or is it covered?

Anyway, this thing is very neat! A great MOC with great function. Making a NXT robot alone can be hard, but you seem to have gone a bit further!

Edited by Daiker

doom4revalt.png

Perfect amphibious boat! Poor aqaudynamics? But, pretty awesome build. ;)

Well played. :P

How did you keep those elektrical parts from getting wet or are those resistant to it?

Yeah, are there any problems with the NXT parts getting wet, or anything? Or is it covered?

Anyway, this thing is very neat! A great MOC with great function. Making a NXT robot alone can be hard, but you seem to have gone a bit further!

This is not a robot, per se, it is remote-controlled. Instead of Mindstorms it uses the Power Functions motors, battery box, receiver, and remote control.

The electrical components are not water-proof or covered, they are just kept well above the waterline. Cogs and axles carry the motor's torque down to the tread-paddles. Believe me, I'm not going to let $60+ of Power Functions get too wet.

I love powerfunctions stuff! I've never seen any amphibious creations before. The hull and cockpit really improve the appearance, because looks a little goofy without it. I'm amazed how well it works out of the water, I'm guessing the paddle pieces come off quite a lot if there surface isn't so flat?

Also as far as I can tell, the gears just transfer the power to the tracks right? There's no change in ratio or anything? And that said, are the motors sufficient power, too much, or not enough? Because I'd quite like to make something similar to this now, but I've only got medium motors.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

That's actually pretty cool, although I'm not sure I want to see that driving down the highway. :P

I like the combination of Technic and System elements, as well as the buoy. I never really considered using those in a MoC.

Also. The recursive acronym. I don't know whether that's intentional or not, as I have no clue what PAB stands for, but... PAB Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat.

banner.jpg

Also. The recursive acronym. I don't know whether that's intentional or not, as I have no clue what PAB stands for, but... PAB Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat Amphibious Boat.

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure he meant for the PAB to mean Pick-A-Brick, since he used the canisters as flotation devices in the MOC.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I love powerfunctions stuff! I've never seen any amphibious creations before. The hull and cockpit really improve the appearance, because looks a little goofy without it. I'm amazed how well it works out of the water, I'm guessing the paddle pieces come off quite a lot if there surface isn't so flat?

Also as far as I can tell, the gears just transfer the power to the tracks right? There's no change in ratio or anything? And that said, are the motors sufficient power, too much, or not enough? Because I'd quite like to make something similar to this now, but I've only got medium motors.

I never tested it on bumpy terrain, but you're probably right, it wouldn't be able to climb very well. We'll never know for sure, though, since I took it apart.

It's a direct drive with a couple of cogs, no change in ratio. For a build of this size I'd suggest investing in the large motors, I don't think the mediums could move a tread drive on land. On water, though, I think they would be sufficient, if you incorporated them correctly and with a simple drive system.

That's actually pretty cool, although I'm not sure I want to see that driving down the highway. :P

I like the combination of Technic and System elements, as well as the buoy. I never really considered using those in a MoC.

Thanks! Those Metru canister lids are great. Even with a stud in the technic hole they aren't 100% waterproof, but 99.9% is good enough for most purposes. I might have used them for buoyancy if they weren't so round.

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure he meant for the PAB to mean Pick-A-Brick, since he used the canisters as flotation devices in the MOC.

I chose to name it PAB as a tribute to the Pick-A-Brick canisters, yes. It stand for Patented Adventure Boat as applied to the MOC (not that it matters). I just added Amphibious Boat to the topic so forum-goers would have some I idea what it was. But recursive acronyms can only get more awesome if they're unintentional, right?