Matoran With No Name

Uncle K.

Hello 2013!If any of you remember my old 'pi' project, just know... it was never dead tumblr_mmebj1jiaU1s8xozfo1_1280.jpg Mask is an amalgamation of Cinnamon's unknown and unnamed mask and a Miru Nuva.This was about an hour and a half, with the advent of carpal tunnel (I think?) work goes on slowly.Pretend it's my eight year celebration... it's sometime this month I think.

Edited by Empire

Splendid work on the lines and coloring here. I have a thing for metal armor which looks a bit worn, it makes the character look more realistic. The mask and the overall color scheme is interesting... may I ask what element you had in mind? I'm imagining Sonics or Ice, due to the turquoise, but maybe Light is also an option?

Wow, are you still handpainting these? It looks so amazing, and the detail is very impressive! The colors are great, and the wear looks perfect, and the expression is very nice. I hope you keep going with this!

By the way, what happened to the rest of Project Pi? I tried looking for them, but I just found your poster for Pulse Irritant 2.

Whoa, that looks really cool. Wait... This isn't CGI? :P It seriously looks like it. I can only just barely tell from the look of it that it isn't.

Nice expression, nice background, nice relation to the background. I like the scratchiness of the armor, and I like the cables that form the neck. You've got good glow effects on the eyes and heart-light, too. Is this seriously a 2D drawing, or is the character set over the backdrop? Great the shadow effect, too.

My only complaint is that his lower arms are so big. Maybe they would make sense if I could see all of the Matoran, but given the skinny waist, it doesn't look quite right there to me.

Can't get over how much this looks like CGI... Beautiful artwork.

Oh, yeah, since he has no name, can I call him Jimmy? He looks like a Jimmy to me. :P

After five long years. . . The Master of Fire is back!

Is that a Slender Man symbol?

Oops.. well it wasn't supposed to be. I've since changed it but too lazy to upload and update it here.

The mask and the overall color scheme is interesting... may I ask what element you had in mind? I'm imagining Sonics or Ice, due to the turquoise, but maybe Light is also an option?

Didn't have an element in mind. If any of my characters for PI have elements, it would lazily be "city" or "robot"

By the way, what happened to the rest of Project Pi? I tried looking for them, but I just found your poster for Pulse Irritant 2.

It changed and mutated, and is no longer really Bionicle related. Some of the characters (like this guy) and ones I posted long ago have enough in common that I could mutate or edit them enough to separate my story from the sets. I still get told they look like Bionicles, so I guess I haven't been too successful?

My only complaint is that his lower arms are so big. Maybe they would make sense if I could see all of the Matoran, but given the skinny waist, it doesn't look quite right there to me.

Oh, yeah, since he has no name, can I call him Jimmy? He looks like a Jimmy to me. :P

All my Tohunga/Matoran related pictures have large chunky forearms and skinny biceps. Same with the legs [generally.] It's an aesthetic choice I will always have a spot for in my mushy heart.

If he ever gets a name it would probably be something simple and akin to 'Chopper' or 'Copper.' But in the meantime, then, I shall just affectionately refer to him as Jimmy.

Wow. BZP is still alive? Huh.

Anyways, this is a great illustration that you've got here. You've got a really neay mask design and the color scheme you chose for the Matoran works rather well.

The lighing and shading are great and you gotta love all those little details and textures. A fine job!

bionicleskullhand_resized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All my Tohunga/Matoran related pictures have large chunky forearms and skinny biceps. Same with the legs [generally.] It's an aesthetic choice I will always have a spot for in my mushy heart.

If he ever gets a name it would probably be something simple and akin to 'Chopper' or 'Copper.' But in the meantime, then, I shall just affectionately refer to him as Jimmy.

Ah. 'Tis an artistic preference. :)

Ooh, cool, I got to name him! Yippee! :P

Man, It's real cool to see your stuff again. Your style still has the same look, just even more developed. Really digging the multiple heartlight thing you've got going on.

I also like how it's not necessarily Bionicle-y, but can still be recognized as such. It's a neat sort of in between. Good work, dude.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

• 1 month later...

O...M...G! This is amazing! I love the scratches on the mask and body, showing that he has been through a lot over the years. Love the detail, and it looks just absolutely stunning! Is this all hand drawn on a canvas or is it CG, 'cause this is... wow. It's so awesome, words can't even begin to describe it. Keep up the amazing work. Love it!

O...M...G! This is amazing! I love the scratches on the mask and body, showing that he has been through a lot over the years. Love the detail, and it looks just absolutely stunning! Is this all hand drawn on a canvas or is it CG, 'cause this is... wow. It's so awesome, words can't even begin to describe it. Keep up the amazing work. Love it!

I know! It totally looks CGI, doesn't it? I thought so, too. But if you look closely you can tell that it is not. I'm sure he used a computer program for at least some parts of it, though, the shadows and the background.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I forgot about this topic... keeping it just barely alive, lol.

Working on some more featuring "Matoran With No Name" who isn't a Matoran and actually does have a name by now.

Thumbnail in the corner is being used for reference since I haven't actually done a front and back for his full body like the others.

tumblr_mmebmfyjv81s8xozfo1_1280.png

Wow. BZP is still alive? Huh.

I suppose "alive" is relative... not like 'way back when'

....the body looks a bit too bent, but the detail and textures are amazing!What do you use to make these?

He's a little asymmetrical, it's really only evident on his face and waist though. Factory error.Just photoshop, as always.

Man, It's real cool to see your stuff again. Your style still has the same look, just even more developed. Really digging the multiple heartlight thing you've got going on. I also like how it's not necessarily Bionicle-y, but can still be recognized as such. It's a neat sort of in between. Good work, dude.

Thanks. Pulse irritant isn't a Bionicle related project anymore, but since I originally drew my first four portraits as Bionicle-interchangeable characters the lines are a little blurred. I'm probably going to go back and redraw overtly Toa/Matoran aspects from some of them at a later date. I figure most of the designs are stylistically evolved and used in generic Sci-Fi anyway, which is something I plan on playing on with the story... hopefully successfully.

I know! It totally looks CGI, doesn't it? I thought so, too. But if you look closely you can tell that it is not. I'm sure he used a computer program for at least some parts of it, though, the shadows and the background.

It's all done on Photoshop, though I might put some of my traditional stuff up some time if I ever finish. Sorry if I ever confused anyone. Hand drawn in this instance will always mean it's drawn from a blank canvas, just using photoshop's built in (and sometimes a few downloaded) brushes. If/when I do some traditional paintings/drawings I'll specify the exact medium. Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Love it, absolutely awesome. The textures and details are amazing, and the colors stand out very well. One question, though: what's with the operator/slender man symbol on his right shoulder.

Rats, I thought I uploaded the newer one a long time ago. I added some bits to it:tumblr_mmebj1jiaU1s8xozfo1_500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I forgot about this topic... keeping it just barely alive, lol.

Working on some more featuring "Matoran With No Name" who isn't a Matoran and actually does have a name by now.

Thumbnail in the corner is being used for reference since I haven't actually done a front and back for his full body like the others.

tumblr_mmebmfyjv81s8xozfo1_1280.png

Really? What's his name? I'm very curious.

Wish I had seen this earlier, but I must say, this is an amazing drawing, or at least, the coloring and texture is great. The style looks very Iron Man-esque, and it's an interesting take on the Matoran body and Miru Nuva. :P

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground