If Bionicle was a TV/book/film series for young adults/adults.

CeeCee

Add some humans. This should be carefully balanced, because the whole cool thing about Bionicle is that the main characters are bio-mechanical. The easiest route would be to make the Great Beings human and give them a more active role in the story.

While I love the idea of making them human, I don't want them to have any more role than they did in the actually BIONICLE saga in this hypothetical series.

Do you guys think LEGO would respond positively to something like this more mature series?

If I understand you correctly, Lego wouldnt need to be involved. This would just be some guy writing the story of Bionicle as a book/fiml/TV series for the adult audience.

LEGO would need to license it.

The Agori and Glatorian are already organic

Technically, they are. but they have a lot of armor, kind of like an Exo-Toa. the toa would be their organic parts, in this theory, and the Exo-Toa itself would be the armor. onto topic! if bionicle were made into a young adult series, then there would probably be more plot twists(don't you just loooove them?), probably a darker overall theme, and probably a little more graphic. like, instead of when being cut, you would have to repair the armor, some sort of liquid protedermis would leak out as an equivalent to blood. also, I would love to see Teridax's head getting pancakes by moons on a TV series :P.

An adaption would probably a more graphic depiction of battles and wars, but the main change would most likely be a reduction of characters. Due to the whole "12 canister sets in a year"-system Bionicle has a huge number of characters. They would probably cut or combine several characters with the remaining ones getting more screen time. Also the gender-by-element restrictions would be lifted.

"The drums are coming closer"

• 3 weeks later...

If Bionicles were able to reproduce, Hewkii and Macku would have had the only child born on the island of Mata Nui during their 1000 years of living on the former hologram.

Ooh! How interesting! Personally this is how I envision my epics and such, with more drama and death. First, there would still be no blood. That aspect was fine as it was in the children's novels. Second, Onua and Gali would be romantically interested in each other, since Tahu and Gali obviously isn't going to go anywhere. Third, the Barraki would have been SO much better. They could be more violent than they were without being overly violent. Fourth, Krika's backstory could be more in depth. He should have some lost love from a long time ago. After she died, he went off the edge and blindly joined Teridax. After his rage, he noticed the mistake he made, and became the way he was today. I think Kopaka would have died by defending Tahu by one act of friendship, defending him from a fatal blow. As he died, he would tell Tahu that they were friends the whole time, and he would breathe his final breath. Gali would weep on Onua's shoulder, and he would tell her that he was as heroic as Matoro. I'd rather not talk about the Glatorians and stuff relating to that, because eew. All I will say is that there would have been much more depth and death. The finale wouldn't have been as final as it was, considering there was more story after that. They would more thoroughly explained some of the villains escaping the Mata Nui robot. I think everything about the Glatorians should turn out to be robots, not biomechanical beings. It would be really creepy. Finally, everything would be darker as the story advances, especially when Karda Nui events are happening. Ooh, so much excitement! I'm practically squeeing with joy!

Edited by darkslizer

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

Weird thought: if Bionicle could reproduce, what would define the child's element?

Probably gender - if male, the Matoran would take its father's element, or its mother's if female. Which means that the gender-specific elements would actually kind of make sense.

To answer the original question, the story would probably contain more romance and violence, and less characters. The story would be a bit more streamlined, and possibly have a more satisfying conclusion.

Not necessarily. Tons of TV shows get cancelled midseason with an even worse conclusion than Bionicle's.

IrMSNn3.png

The reason I posted the challenge accepted pic was so that I proclaim we have a miniature contest to see who can rewrite the first few years of Bionicle the best.

To answer the original question, the story would probably contain more romance and violence, and less characters. The story would be a bit more streamlined, and possibly have a more satisfying conclusion.

Not necessarily. Tons of TV shows get cancelled midseason with an even worse conclusion than Bionicle's.
Agreed. I didn't say that it would have a more satisfying conclusion, just that it was possible that it might.But then again, I was going with the assumption that the same writers, Story Team, etc, would be working on it - that the only thing that would change in this hypothetical scenario was that it would be a TV show/film/book series for young adults. Those writers seemed, at least to me, the kind that were dedicated enough to what they were doing to get the story concluded - in fact, Greg Farshtey even volenteered to write unpaid serials to try to tie loose ends. It was the time and budget constraints that contributed to the conclusion we had, which, for a TV show/book/film series, would not likely exist. But maybe that's just my fallicious thinking. :shrugs: Edited by fishers64

Ooh! How interesting! Personally this is how I envision my epics and such, with more drama and death. First, there would still be no blood. That aspect was fine as it was in the children's novels. Second, Onua and Gali would be romantically interested in each other, since Tahu and Gali obviously isn't going to go anywhere. Third, the Barraki would have been SO much better. They could be more violent than they were without being overly violent. Fourth, Krika's backstory could be more in depth. He should have some lost love from a long time ago. After she died, he went off the edge and blindly joined Teridax. After his rage, he noticed the mistake he made, and became the way he was today. I think Kopaka would have died by defending Tahu by one act of friendship, defending him from a fatal blow. As he died, he would tell Tahu that they were friends the whole time, and he would breathe his final breath. Gali would weep on Onua's shoulder, and he would tell her that he was as heroic as Matoro. I'd rather not talk about the Glatorians and stuff relating to that, because eew. All I will say is that there would have been much more depth and death. The finale wouldn't have been as final as it was, considering there was more story after that. They would more thoroughly explained some of the villains escaping the Mata Nui robot. I think everything about the Glatorians should turn out to be robots, not biomechanical beings. It would be really creepy. Finally, everything would be darker as the story advances, especially when Karda Nui events are happening. Ooh, so much excitement! I'm practically squeeing with joy!

all I would have said, but better. the whole story idea with Krika sounds like a fun idea. the Barrakki could probably be given more depth. one problem with a TV series though is all the characters we have no visuals on. Barakki pre-mutation, Larsika, Nidhiki's toa form, Helyrx's Toa form, probably Lhikan's matoran form, and so on.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

Personally, I would hate if Bionicle was a film/TV series. Not because it wouldn't be epic, because it definitely would be, but it would've ended a lot earlier because it would require a huge fanbase for the producers to be motivated to keep creating new movies/shows. And in my opinion, Bionicle is a story that is neither simple enough that kids can follow the entire story nor dramatic enough that adults would be overly interested in it. So the audience probably wouldn't be that big, and odds are they would probably run out of ideas a lot earlier.

And Bionicle kind of already is a book series, and in my opinion that worked out great. :P

What do you think would have been changed in the story. I think we would see a lot more romance in the movie.

I also think that we would see a lot more major character deaths, good and bad.

I personally feel the Toa non-killing code should definitely be kept in as it creates a boundary to be over stepped.

What do you think would have been changed?

You say 'a lot more romance' as if there were any in the original story line anyways. If I recall, the only legitimately defined love was with... ugh... that orange guy... he drove the Spikit... dangit It's been so long since I have been reading the story... But yeah, he was an agori from the iron village. Anyways, there was a suspected love between Jala and Hali right? Er... Jaller and Hahli, their names changed. I remember the Extra Content of MoL had Takua say 'I Know Hahli likes Jaller, but he doesn't like to talk about it'. But I don't think there would be much Romance added if it were a PG-13 Movie, I mean, they arent people. they are biomechanicals...

I do think the action would be more gruesome. Ex. In the first 2007 book, the matoran is out past safe hour, and something takes him by the leg, it is assumed it was Kalmah. I think if it were on screen, you might have heard a scream and seen Kalmah rip open his chest or something as he devoured him. That kind of action. And there could potentially be some language. I can imagine the Piraka swearing.

I am debating on becoming a filmmaker as an adult. if i choose to become one, I plan to make a Bionicle film.

Also, ATM, I am working on taking each year's books and re-writing them for an older audience. I will post the story here, most likely, once I have finished it/them.

Edited by slifer3000

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

What do you think would have been changed in the story. I think we would see a lot more romance in the movie.I also think that we would see a lot more major character deaths, good and bad. I personally feel the Toa non-killing code should definitely be kept in as it creates a boundary to be over stepped.What do you think would have been changed?

You say 'a lot more romance' as if there were any in the original story line anyways. If I recall, the only legitimately defined love was with... ugh... that orange guy... he drove the Spikit... dangit It's been so long since I have been reading the story... But yeah, he was an agori from the iron village. Anyways, there was a suspected love between Jala and Hali right? Er... Jaller and Hahli, their names changed. I remember the Extra Content of MoL had Takua say 'I Know Hahli likes Jaller, but he doesn't like to talk about it'. But I don't think there would be much Romance added if it were a PG-13 Movie, I mean, they arent people. they are biomechanicals... I do think the action would be more gruesome. Ex. In the first 2007 book, the matoran is out past safe hour, and something takes him by the leg, it is assumed it was Kalmah. I think if it were on screen, you might have heard a scream and seen Kalmah rip open his chest or something as he devoured him. That kind of action. And there could potentially be some language. I can imagine the Piraka swearing. I am debating on becoming a filmmaker as an adult. if i choose to become one, I plan to make a Bionicle film.
The Iron Agori's name is Sahmad, just saying, and you left out one of the most well-known couples in Bionicle: Huki(Hewkii) and Maku(Macku).

Oh they were couples? Dangit... i forgot. I thought they were just friends that were the opposite sex lol (friendzone)

It's been a while since I have been with the Bionicle story guys, sorry if my memory is bad...

Edited by slifer3000

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Idk... It's hard for me to imagine Onua and anyone... I think Lewa and Gali is more likely. In a movie setting, Gali is probably going to be interested in Tahu. However, if I had produced the movie, I wouldn't have Gali interested in anyone. If anyone, it'd be Lewa.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

About the Krika thing, that probably wouldn't work out because Krika was made a Makuta, and stayed in the Brotherhood for his whole life.

Not me, but maybe just add a bit more stuff that's suitable for older readers/watchers then you're done.

I am going to finish my 2001 collection, i only need the Turaga and the Nui Jaga. But when I get them, over the summer, I am going to make a 60 minute stop motion retelling the first year of Bionicle.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Not me, but maybe just add a bit more stuff that's suitable for older readers/watchers then you're done.

I am going to finish my 2001 collection, i only need the Turaga and the Nui Jaga. But when I get them, over the summer, I am going to make a 60 minute stop motion retelling the first year of Bionicle.
Like exactly the same? Or like the last few posts, more suitable for older watchers? And when you're done I hope you don't mind sharing it with us in the fan made music&movies section :P.

okay, original ideas (sorta): the Villains would be given more backstory, such as the Piraka and the Barraki. there would definitely be romance intertwined. I can see Macku and Hewkii, Jaller and Hahli, Kiina and Gresh. I can't really give that to anyone on the Toa Nuva team with their current personality. Tahu is too hot-headed, Lewa too silly, Pohatu....well, I don't know. I just can't see him loving anyone. Onua is more of the strong, sturdy one, more focused on the mission than a special someone. Gali...well, maybe Gali. there would be more violence, definitely, and some sort of blood. also, more tragic things happening, or a more brutal way of death. like Matoro's death, instead of being painless, feeling as if he was completely on fire, more torturous. also, there would be swearing. no matter the villain, they would probably swear. except maybe Teridax. he would be more like a gentleman-villain, polite but evil. the Toa Teams would be a bit looser and less united, so that when battling some sort of enemy, there would also be fights between the team. Matoro would be more sad than normal, as if he knew what was coming. perhaps killing Mata Nui, and having some sort of Bara Magnan safeguard fight Makuta in space with lasers. one would tear right through Teridax's brain, killing him and perhaps a couple thousand other matoran. overall, the themes would be darker, the romance bumped up, Teridax behaving like a gentleman, the Toa Code would be less important, Matoran would have a greater role to play, and the Villains more evil.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

I would make the Piraka like completely moral-less. Like In the back story, I would have them kill Toa by ripping them in half or something.

Oh and, @Takua Dragonstar7, I will be sure to put it here first :D and I will make it different in the sense that there will be different Dialogue, different fights, but same story. get masks, fight Rahi.

Edited by slifer3000

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Well, the series is already as dark as it can get. Whenever I read the books I get this foreboding feeling of hopelessness. But if it were geared toward an older audience it would only be darker in a sense that some kind of blood would be added, maybe they would bleed black protodermis or something. Also, I'd have to agree that there'd be some kind of romantic situations--that wouldn't be the primary center of attention, but you'd have the characters admitting their love for each other or fights over love and what not (which would mean they'd have to have more female characters instead of always having one girl on each team).

The colors of the world would be toned down as well to send a message that the series is not a colorful adventure for younger children. It might also have more of a metallic feeling to it rather than an elemental feeling...if that makes sense.

okay, original ideas (sorta): the Villains would be given more backstory, such as the Piraka and the Barraki. there would definitely be romance intertwined. I can see Macku and Hewkii, Jaller and Hahli, Kiina and Gresh. I can't really give that to anyone on the Toa Nuva team with their current personality. Tahu is too hot-headed, Lewa too silly, Pohatu....well, I don't know. I just can't see him loving anyone. Onua is more of the strong, sturdy one, more focused on the mission than a special someone. Gali...well, maybe Gali. there would be more violence, definitely, and some sort of blood. also, more tragic things happening, or a more brutal way of death. like Matoro's death, instead of being painless, feeling as if he was completely on fire, more torturous. also, there would be swearing. no matter the villain, they would probably swear. except maybe Teridax. he would be more like a gentleman-villain, polite but evil. the Toa Teams would be a bit looser and less united, so that when battling some sort of enemy, there would also be fights between the team. Matoro would be more sad than normal, as if he knew what was coming. perhaps killing Mata Nui, and having some sort of Bara Magnan safeguard fight Makuta in space with lasers. one would tear right through Teridax's brain, killing him and perhaps a couple thousand other matoran. overall, the themes would be darker, the romance bumped up, Teridax behaving like a gentleman, the Toa Code would be less important, Matoran would have a greater role to play, and the Villains more evil.

Well said! But Tahu and Gali would make a good twist on romance because opposites attract. And with the way he feels about her when she goes insane in Island of Doom.

If Bionicles were able to reproduce, Hewkii and Macku would have had the only child born on the island of Mata Nui during their 1000 years of living on the former hologram.

But they should build their offspring, sharing each others spiritual energy or something into the final product to give it life--because kids' series or not, Bionicle junk and stuff is wrong! Romance would be sharing a piece of each other's life energy, not sex scenes for the romantically declined who happen to be obsessed with Bionicle. I'm not talking to anyone inparticular, I'm just saying if rewriting the series is going to happen, NO SEX! They may be part organic but they don't need reproductive parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me everyone's seemingly intense fascination with gore? Gore does not equal mature. It's how you handle it, rather than the mere presence of it. Love would definitely help flesh out some of the characters, and having dual-gender types would be good. I feel there aren't enough women in Bionicle. Making Pohatu a girl would be cool, a la Toph from Avatar. I love the tropical island setting of Mata Nui, so I would love to see it be re-made. The entire history of the island would have to be rewritten, though, since there's just not enough on the island to make an engaging story. The fetch-quests for the masks also have to be rewritten to make it less repetitive, and they have to find a more creative way to defeat the bosses, e.g. more emphasis on investigation when it came to fighting the Bohrok or Bohrok Kal. Come to think of it, it could make a really interesting game, if you went the Arkham City route.

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

I feel there aren't enough women in Bionicle.

I agree. You know what? I think that girls can be from any element, that should be a change.

If you go the Agori/Glatorian route, then it's still canonically possible anyway. (Agori/Glatorian have male and female of all elements. :shrugs:)

Edited by fishers64

I agree. You know what? I think that girls can be from any element, that should be a change.

I don't see why, and this is coming from a female. ;P I mean some on, the girls have Lightning, which is pretty darn powerful in its own right, Psionics, which gives them telepathy, telekinesis, minor mind-control, the ability to create illusions, you name it (think of how devastating a Psionics Nova Blast would be). There's also Light, and we all know how powerful that is. And if you think about it, Ga-Toa could theoretically use Bloodbending. I'd say the women are already powerful enough. :P I don't know why the creators decided not to allow for there to be males and females of every Element, but since it's canon, I can't say it bothers me. The story-team's word is law, in my book.Technically speaking, because Matoran/Toa were built to keep the Great Spirit Robot running and were never meant to procreate, there shouldn't even be females. But we all know you can't carry a good story without us ladies, and somebody has to keep the men in line. ;) I personally don't care that there weren't that many female characters, but my one complaint is that the personalities of the existing ones weren't diverse enough. Nokama, Gali, and Hahli all have the same freakin' basic personality, for example. It needs to be spiced up a bit, IMO. But I digress.

Can someone explain to me everyone's seemingly intense fascination with gore? Gore does not equal mature. It's how you handle it, rather than the mere presence of it.

Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpgI won't deny that in my head-canon the beings of the MU have some form of blood-like fluid coursing through their organic parts, but graphic fight-scenes in the world of Bionicle shouldn't be as bloody as everything else we read/watch. If it's going to be there, it needs to be a good story-telling element; an element that helps us better associate with the characters; something that makes the story feel real (to us humans, anyway); and it needs to be done tastefully. I'll admit that I'm rather squeamish, so I don't watch stuff like The Walking Dead or anything like Saw. That's gore for the sake of gore. I have yet to see 300, but I hear the battle was artfully done despite being one of the bloodiest movies in the history of cinema. Anywho, I think there would be more mature dialogue, jokes, etc., but again, I'd prefer that it be done tastefully. I don't really see a need for romance in a story focused on a race of beings who can't reproduce, as it would serve no logical purpose than to add to the already copious drama. The story is busy enough as it is, and adding romance would only complicate things all the more, IMO. Unless the GBs suddenly decide, "hey, we're going to adjust things so y'all can be even more like the Agori and the Glatorians" and the subject is handled with kit-gloves, I won't go for it; but that's just me.Somebody here mentioned swearing, but I'm too lazy to scroll back up and look. *points finger at said person* I imagine there would be, but that doesn't make a story good. I actually find swearing distracting. IMO, it seems like nobody can write it in a way that flows anymore and not make it stand out like a sore thumb. *shrug*Long story short, I think Bionicle would turn into a glorified sci-fi Harry Potter if they went that route, ha ha.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Unless the GBs suddenly decide, "hey, we're going to adjust things so y'all can be even more like the Agori and the Glatorians" and the subject is handled with kit-gloves

You just made my day. Also, I agree with most of that stuff, but swearing I can imagine the piraka doing.

3018587.png
Credit be to Strack for my avatar, who I WILL moc one day, the avatar I mean ........
Life is a whole lot of everything-Cleverbot
What What What.-Cleverbot
My steam name is Toa Gears °▲Delta, add me if you wish

I don't see why, and this is coming from a female. ;P I mean some on, the girls have Lightning, which is pretty darn powerful in its own right, Psionics, which gives them telepathy, telekinesis, minor mind-control, the ability to create illusions, you name it (think of how devastating a Psionics Nova Blast would be). There's also Light, and we all know how powerful that is. And if you think about it, Ga-Toa could theoretically use Bloodbending. I'd say the women are already powerful enough. :P I don't know why the creators decided not to allow for there to be males and females of every Element, but since it's canon, I can't say it bothers me. The story-team's word is law, in my book.

I think you miss understand. We werent saying the elements the chicks had weren't powerful, we were just saying the ratio of girls to boys was a bit too low. 5:1 just isnt right. Should have been at least 2:1 in every Toa Team. Defintly shouldnt go over 1:2 if they wanted to keep boys the primary market focus.

I think on Mata Nui there should have been 500 males and 500 females or something around that mark.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I don't see why, and this is coming from a female. ;P I mean some on, the girls have Lightning, which is pretty darn powerful in its own right, Psionics, which gives them telepathy, telekinesis, minor mind-control, the ability to create illusions, you name it (think of how devastating a Psionics Nova Blast would be). There's also Light, and we all know how powerful that is. And if you think about it, Ga-Toa could theoretically use Bloodbending. I'd say the women are already powerful enough. :P I don't know why the creators decided not to allow for there to be males and females of every Element, but since it's canon, I can't say it bothers me. The story-team's word is law, in my book.

I think you miss understand. We werent saying the elements the chicks had weren't powerful, we were just saying the ratio of girls to boys was a bit too low. 5:1 just isnt right. Should have been at least 2:1 in every Toa Team. Defintly shouldnt go over 1:2 if they wanted to keep boys the primary market focus.

I think on Mata Nui there should have been 500 males and 500 females or something around that mark.

I don't misunderstand, I simply need to stop writing posts at 3am and thus make my points clearer. What I was trying to say is that I feel that the few Elements that females have make up for the scant number of female characters. I realize that not everyone feels this way, but this is one female who doesn't mind the set-up. S'all I'm saying.

Unless the GBs suddenly decide, "hey, we're going to adjust things so y'all can be even more like the Agori and the Glatorians" and the subject is handled with kit-gloves

You just made my day. Also, I agree with most of that stuff, but swearing I can imagine the piraka doing.

If Bionicle were an adult/young-adult series, I guess they wouldn't be the Piraka without it, ha ha.

Edited by Silverglass

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |