BIONICLE: Attack of the Kopaka Clones *REMASTERED*

Lekonua

HELLOOOOOOOOOO BZPOOOOOOOWER! Lekonua here! That's right! Lekonua! A.K.A. that guy who used to make boatloads of comics that ranged from "wildly popular" to "last-page-in-a-day," but hasn't been here in so long that everyone's probably forgotten all about him! But I swear I have NEVER forgotten about YOU. I'mma tell you guys a story. Bear with me, roll your eyes if you want, but it has immense personal significance to me. A really really long time ago, BIONICLE started. I got into it pretty close to the beginning when a friend told me about it. I bought some of the sets, subscribed to LEGO magazine for the comic, and started regularly visiting the LEGO website to play the MNOLG and see more story updates. At some point during all this, LEGO added forums to the site, and I was suddenly reading ideas, theories and opinions from thousands of other fans from around the world. Many of them would, on occasion, make mention of something called "BZPower." ("BZPower says this." "They said that on BZPower." "I saw this on BZPower!") I checked it out, thought it was pretty cool, but wasn't really interested in joining, so I left it at that for a while. A little while later, while doing some random BIONICLE-based image searching, I came across a series of sprite comics that I (with my at-the-time 11 or 12-year old "sense of humor") found absolutely hilarious. These comics were posted in a section of the BZP forums, along with dozens of others. It was at that point that I decided I wanted to make my own. Without any knowledge or experience whatsoever working with sprites or making comics. Brace yourselves for this.Bionicle: Attack of the Kopaka ClonesIs it embarrassing to look at now? Totally. It's a complete abomination in almost every sense of the word. First of all, I had to use plushy sprites from some generator because I had no idea where to find the cool Razor sprites literally everyone was using at the time. All I had to work with was good old MSPaint. For everything. And don't get me started on the writing. At the time, I believe it was popular to make Pohatu the "stupid guy" in a series, and I thought I'd be clever and different by making Pohatu incredibly smart and competent, and having Tahu take the position of "token moron." Also random food obsessions where a thing.

I overdid it. A lot. And yet, the people of BZP encouraged me. I came to you with THAT, and you encouraged me to make more.

This July, that will have been 10 years ago. A whole decade. (I thought about waiting until then to post this, but heck with it.)

I've never once stopped making comics that entire time. They weren't all BIONICLE related, they weren't all sprite-based, and they weren't all good, but with every success and failure I learned more. And so I decided to put everything I learned since then to the test. I set a goal for myself, and I've been working on it for the past week or so.

I would take my first ever sprite comic...

And make it good.

Enjoy.

BIONICLE: Attack of the Kopaka Clones REDUX

Just wanted to say thanks, BZPower. I know this is going to sound cheesy as all get-out, but I would honestly be a completely different person today if I had never found this forum. Besides comic-ing, I discovered Flash, 3D animation and my love for pixel art here as well. Go ahead and try to guess which one of those I'm currently a senior in college for. ^_^

Holy Kohlii, I used a smiley. THAT'S ENOUGH SENTIMENTALITY FOR ONE DAY.

"You call that breaking my spine? You Red Team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine- *CRACK* AAAHHHH! MY SPIIIINE!!!"-Soldier, TF2
"Kick reason out and do the impossible!" -Kamina, TTGL

Sadly, I wasn't really around on BZP from the very start. However, I think I still remember seeing some of your comics around the forum from the time when I went and visited the Comics forum. While I joined BZP in 2004 and didn't really see your original comic (at least, I can't seem to remember if I have), I definitely enjoyed these both. It was quite a throwback seeing the sprites from the plushie generator from years ago. I wish I knew what happened to them, I liked them.

Well, you've definitely evolved. I liked both of the comics, and the humor has definitely kind of changed from one to the other. Never the less, they still maintain the same general story. Great job, overall.

Wow, can I just say, I really enjoyed that.I mean, I'm pretty sure it isn't just the contrast from the old to the new; i genuinely thought that was awesome!It's just... Perfect.Top Notch. :D

Edited by -DJ-

i know what youre thinking, whos gonna care what shoes shes wearing but BELIEVE ME, WOMEN notice

The comic was excellent and certainly the one of the best this forum has seen for a few months. Is there any particular reason you used the original RZ? It hardly matters but I'm curious.

By the way, "Also random food obsessions where a thing," they unfortunately still are.

Edited by Tenuk

Don't Click It

Sadly, I wasn't really around on BZP from the very start. However, I think I still remember seeing some of your comics around the forum from the time when I went and visited the Comics forum. While I joined BZP in 2004 and didn't really see your original comic (at least, I can't seem to remember if I have), I definitely enjoyed these both. It was quite a throwback seeing the sprites from the plushie generator from years ago. I wish I knew what happened to them, I liked them.

Well, you've definitely evolved. I liked both of the comics, and the humor has definitely kind of changed from one to the other. Never the less, they still maintain the same general story. Great job, overall.

If you joined a year after I did, I highly doubt you would have seen the original topic. It would have been long dead and buried by then, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever reposted it since. But it is entirely possible you've seen other stuff I've made.

At any rate, glad to hear you liked this one. The idea was to keep the same main story points, but fix and rework things that didn't really make sense. (Or were otherwise just stupid or annoying.) So now Tahu's more oblivious rather than actually stupid, while maintaining his hotdog obsession without it coming completely out of nowhere. I could honestly go on and on commentating about what I think I did better this time around.

I will say that the parts I was most looking forward to remaking were the Kopaka VS Makuta "fight," and the beach panel at the end.

Is there any particular reason you used the original RZ? It hardly matters but I'm curious.

Not really. I just always liked the versatility of the RZMK Matoran, but never really used them for much. As I recall, I did exactly one series with them a while back, and it never really got off the ground.

By the way, "Also random food obsessions where a thing," they unfortunately still are.

I'm sorry to hear that.

"You call that breaking my spine? You Red Team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine- *CRACK* AAAHHHH! MY SPIIIINE!!!"-Soldier, TF2

If you joined a year after I did, I highly doubt you would have seen the original topic. It would have been long dead and buried by then, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever reposted it since. But it is entirely possible you've seen other stuff I've made.

At any rate, glad to hear you liked this one. The idea was to keep the same main story points, but fix and rework things that didn't really make sense. (Or were otherwise just stupid or annoying.) So now Tahu's more oblivious rather than actually stupid, while maintaining his hotdog obsession without it coming completely out of nowhere. I could honestly go on and on commentating about what I think I did better this time around.

I will say that the parts I was most looking forward to remaking were the Kopaka VS Makuta "fight," and the beach panel at the end.

Is there any particular reason you used the original RZ? It hardly matters but I'm curious.

Not really. I just always liked the versatility of the RZMK Matoran, but never really used them for much. As I recall, I did exactly one series with them a while back, and it never really got off the ground.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Oh no I love RZ I just figured you'd use revolutions.

Don't Click It

Oh hey I remember you

Didn't you post like the LONGEST COMIC ON BZP once

And also you had a character named Green who wasn't actually green or something

Or am I thinking of someone totally different here

Anyway yeah that was probably the best comic I've seen here in months

Or the best non-BAC comic at least

RksnKgM.jpg

Wow. I am... impressed to say the least. It was a hilarious, high-quality deconstruction of your own work. That is a rare sight indeed. The biosector01 gag was an expert jab at Makuta's long list of powers.

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Anyone can say that remaster was a giant step up from the original. Very good work.

However, the biggest issues I have are the use of memes and how the hallway background never scales. All of the characters get tinyer on the same background, but the background never changes in size according to how it should be. Other than that, a very good comic. Seeing the plushies in the original reminded me of the old days quite a bit. :P

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Oh hey I remember you Didn't you post like the LONGEST COMIC ON BZP once And also you had a character named Green who wasn't actually green or something Or am I thinking of someone totally different here Anyway yeah that was probably the best comic I've seen here in months Or the best non-BAC comic at least

Yep. That was totally me!

Anyone can say that remaster was a giant step up from the original. Very good work. However, the biggest issues I have are the use of memes and how the hallway background never scales. All of the characters get tinyer on the same background, but the background never changes in size according to how it should be. Other than that, a very good comic. Seeing the plushies in the original reminded me of the old days quite a bit. :P

Ah, yes. The backgrounds. I freely admit that those were the product of sheer laziness. I promised myself I wouldn't get lazy while I was working on this, but I guess some still slipped through.

As for memes, I would hardly say either of the 2 there are worth taking issue with. I just threw the pony reference in for fun, and the Pokemon joke works with the context of the story. I'm assuming those are the ones you mean, since I can't actually find any others.

In any case, glad you liked it!

Black outlined RZ is back in fashion? Amazing.

I wouldn't know anything about what is or isn't in fashion. I just used sprites I had.

Heh. I quite liked this. One of my favourite gags was Makuta looking himself up on BS01 in order to see what powers he had, specifically if he could fly. Also, is that Sauron's Tower?

It's actually Isengard. Saruman's tower. I would have used Sauron's, but I couldn't find any usable pictures to use. And Isengard has a shape that reads "evil fortress" more easily anyway..

Edited by Lekonua

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone can say that remaster was a giant step up from the original. Very good work. However, the biggest issues I have are the use of memes and how the hallway background never scales. All of the characters get tinyer on the same background, but the background never changes in size according to how it should be. Other than that, a very good comic. Seeing the plushies in the original reminded me of the old days quite a bit. :P

Ah, yes. The backgrounds. I freely admit that those were the product of sheer laziness. I promised myself I wouldn't get lazy while I was working on this, but I guess some still slipped through.

As for memes, I would hardly say either of the 2 there are worth taking issue with. I just threw the pony reference in for fun, and the Pokemon joke works with the context of the story. I'm assuming those are the ones you mean, since I can't actually find any others.

In any case, glad you liked it!

Yes, those two are the ones I was talking about. I just find the references to be very lame, and I think they'd just be better to not be in there. Of course, this comic has been completed for a while now, and there's no point in backtracking and eliminating it.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

I find it a little funny that Kopaka is mountain sized on the first panel and proceeds to walk into a buidling which apparently massive in size.But I will admit it got much better at the end. I actually laughed at Makuta checking BS01. Tahu accidentally smacking him with the bottle was very well done.EDIT: Admittingly, I did really enjoy the original comic. The sheer silliness, awkward pacing and discontinuity reminded me of my first comics which made me laugh.

Edited by Reckoner

Majhost sucks