Exo Suit Hit 10k on Cuusoo Two Weeks Ago

I guess we dropped the ball on this one. Never let it be said, however, that BZPower failed to give recognition where recognition is earned: Peter Reid's Exo Suit hit 10,000 supporters on Cuusoo around two weeks ago, making it the second original fan-made model to land a spot in the next review stage! After the current two in the queue, I mean. Go ahead and send him your congratulations on the Cuusoo page. Better late than never, right?http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=5929]View the full article[/url]

I hate CUUSOO being used to get "popular MOCs" made into production sets. It just seems egotistical and not in the spirit of the program.

That's kind of the point. If ten thousand people will vote for it, then there's a good chance that it'll sell well. Most of what TLC does is for profit in the end.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I hate CUUSOO being used to get "popular MOCs" made into production sets. It just seems egotistical and not in the spirit of the program.

That's kind of the point. If ten thousand people will vote for it, then there's a good chance that it'll sell well. Most of what TLC does is for profit in the end.

Eh, the point of CUUSOO is to explore new "LEGO set concepts". Things like "make this as a theme" or "a tribute to this film or series" makes an amount of sense, but saying "this is a popular MOC of mine, I want TLG to sell it" rubs me the wrong way.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Eh, the point of CUUSOO is to explore new "LEGO set concepts". Things like "make this as a theme" or "a tribute to this film or series" makes an amount of sense, but saying "this is a popular MOC of mine, I want TLG to sell it" rubs me the wrong way.

While that is the case with a lot of projects, I think it works all right if the MOC itself is demonstrative of an concept TLG hasn't worked with. In this case, the Exo-Suit is a much different style than any mecha that have appeared in official sets, with lots of greebling. If TLG can echo that sort of aesthetic using sturdier, more reliable building techniques, then it should still be possible to remain true to the concept behind the MOC itself.Now, what's wrong is if someone posts a MOC of theirs and the AFOL community gets upset when it gets changed for the final product. Because as you say, Cuusoo is about ideas, not about simply taking models and releasing them as sets. As such, no model should be posted to LEGO Cuusoo if the creator's intent is that it be released as a set in its current form, with no alterations.

You have to know Lego isn't going to slap a label on this and call it good. They will look at this as a concept. People clearly want exo suits of this design and complication. But like I said, a lot of these pieces are obsolete, and I imagine it uses a few of Lego's "illegal" designs. They will have to put it through a redesign, at the very least.

Or they'll just reject it because of all the things I just said.

Either way, I highly doubt anyone at Lego will greenlight this at face value.

EDIT;

Also, it's a little disingenuous to imply this entry hit approval because "it's popular", don't you think?

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Also, it's a little disingenuous to imply this entry hit approval because "it's popular", don't you think?

No, the builder said in his project that he put it on there because it's his most popular MOC on Flickr. It just seems outside the spirit of things to say "this is my most popular MOC on flickr, therefore, I should put it on CUUSOO and have TLG sell it."

I don't like that and I hope TLG turns it down to discourage that in the future.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

That may have been his intent, but it's certainly not the reason it passed the first step.

I honestly could not care less if the builder is arrogant or modest. You and I both know that's just a thing that comes with the territory.

I have mad love for you, but to toss out a great idea purely to 'send a message' is dumb. And also because I want to buy the everloving nonsense out of something like this.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Its cool, but I am annoyed at the lack of caring of the designer toward Lego. I mean, the Exo Suit hit 5k on 2012.07.26 and Lego even said,

"design team will need to address the complexity of this build and the techniques used, to see if it is feasible to maintain the essence of the model while ensuring it uses legal techniques, is cost effective, buildable, and playable".

Also Lego said,

"Check out #2 on the post Cheat Sheet: How to Pass the LEGO Review with Flying Colors."

And what did PeterReid do?! Nothing except congratulate himself. Now it will never hit the shelves, even if it would of had to been a lesser version of the original ...

Its cool, but I am annoyed at the lack of caring of the designer toward Lego. I mean, the Exo Suit hit 5k on 2012.07.26 and Lego even said, "design team will need to address the complexity of this build and the techniques used, to see if it is feasible to maintain the essence of the model while ensuring it uses legal techniques, is cost effective, buildable, and playable". Also Lego said, "Check out #2 on the post Cheat Sheet: How to Pass the LEGO Review with Flying Colors." And what did PeterReid do?! Nothing except congratulate himself. Now it will never hit the shelves, even if it would of had to been a lesser version of the original ...
Once a model is posted and has reached a large number of supporters, the options of the original designer are limited. What did you expect him to do? Change it? Not only would that potentially invalidate the support of many of its early supporters, who might have liked it for some facet that the simplified version no longer had, but it might not accomplish anything since nobody but TLG's employees have complete awareness of what it would take to make this model meet design standards and still be profitable. Better to leave that part of the design process to TLG, and be prepared to walk away if it turns out that they can't make the concept any simpler than you could.Overall, I think the creator of this model had a lot to be proud of. Popularity isn't something to be ashamed of, and posting a model because you know that it's popular isn't a purely selfish decision if the model has unique qualities that you'd like to see TLG use in sets.I think it's foolish to write off this model's potential for success just because it received a warning. As the Cuusoo message said, "design team will need to address the complexity of this build and the techniques used". In other words, they were fully expecting the simplification process to fall on TLG's designers, not the original creator of the proposal. That's not laziness on the part of the creator; it's the way LEGO Cuusoo is expected to work in the first place, whether they're dealing with a popular MOC or just a tablescrap that demonstrates a certain concept or subject.

No, the builder said in his project that he put it on there because it's his most popular MOC on Flickr. It just seems outside the spirit of things to say "this is my most popular MOC on flickr, therefore, I should put it on CUUSOO and have TLG sell it." I don't like that and I hope TLG turns it down to discourage that in the future.
It appeared in the Lego Book. Surely Lego likes it.

DevBannerwithInterests.png

I must have missed this entire thing. I never saw this on CUUSOO. Well congrats to it. Let's see how it does in review. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.