X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

Heavy ethics debate here.

Applying "social evolutionism" is most certainly a crazy idea. It pushes the idea that we're all subjected to whatever is stronger. And that ties into the freedom thing because that's an offense against freedom itself.

Now I wouldn't go "playing god", but attempting to work toward morals and freedom above evolution and "natural balance" is something we all can and should do.

It's not the circumstances beyond our control, like our genes, size, strength, or surroundings that define us. It's going against all the trouble that comes our way, and doing it for the right reasons. With just enough luck to survive and make their way there, an ordinary human could find a way to defeat a mutant 1v1, possibly without a firearm, provided they don't give up and die. (Sure, in my RP I tend to go with a character who's strong to begin with, but that's just because it's more fun.)

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I've got another question.

How do immortal/really old beings like Jace, Lynae, Luz, Morrison, etc. get passports, ID, and all that sort of stuff? If one had to keep a low profile but he practically lived forever, how would he get his papers?

It's not as hard as you think to create a fake ID.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Heavy ethics debate here.

Applying "social evolutionism" is most certainly a crazy idea. It pushes the idea that we're all subjected to whatever is stronger. And that ties into the freedom thing because that's an offense against freedom itself.

Now I wouldn't go "playing god", but attempting to work toward morals and freedom above evolution and "natural balance" is something we all can and should do.

It's not the circumstances beyond our control, like our genes, size, strength, or surroundings that define us. It's going against all the trouble that comes our way, and doing it for the right reasons. With just enough luck to survive and make their way there, an ordinary human could find a way to defeat a mutant 1v1, possibly without a firearm, provided they don't give up and die. (Sure, in my RP I tend to go with a character who's strong to begin with, but that's just because it's more fun.)

what are you doing here, again?

:D

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Law. Liberty. Community.Your liberty is kept safe by preventing that human nuke down the road from threatening you.Where can I sign up?

Local offices are opening now!

Join and protect humanity from the rise of a Mutant ruling class!

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

How do immortal/really old beings like Jace, Lynae, Luz, Morrison, etc. get passports, ID, and all that sort of stuff? If one had to keep a low profile but he practically lived forever, how would he get his papers?

On a more serious note, it's pretty simple. Faking a passport and ID is possible, and that's all they really need. Think about it. Most of them don't get sick, so they don't need to worry about hospital visits or insurance. Most of them don't have jobs, so they don't need to worry about anything for that. All they really need is a birth certificate, an ID, and maybe a passport. All of which can be faked.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Quicksilver has near complete control over any weapon the average joe might wield. Magnitude can crush an apartment block.

I don't see the average human doing well against them without some sort of weapon. They are threats to humanity as whole. They would be threats even if they were peaceful. How could mere humans compete against that? We would become a lower class.

I refuse to let that happen. The mutants must be removed for humanity to prosper. A terrible price, but one that must be paid. I would see a hundred alien worlds burn, I would see millions of mutants die, before I allowed humanity to be threatened.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Silly bug, you know that you stand no chance of-ASARDIN! Didn't I tell you not to break the fourth wall?You have to remember that humans are only a strand in the web of life; we aren't the masters. Just because our intelligence surpasses that of other creatures doesn't mean that we're separate from nature. Anything we do to damage the web of life will come back to us. Heck, we've pretty muched ran through the web with a machete already. Perhaps mutants are nature's way of fighting back (see the Ents destroying Isengard).

Silly bug, you know that you stand no chance of-ASARDIN! Didn't I tell you not to break the fourth wall?You have to remember that humans are only a strand in the web of life; we aren't the masters. Just because our intelligence surpasses that of other creatures doesn't mean that we're separate from nature. Anything we do to damage the web of life will come back to us. Heck, we've pretty muched ran through the web with a machete already. Perhaps mutants are nature's way of fighting back (see the Ents destroying Isengard).

Unlike Isengard, we have flame throwers to deal with pesky Ents. Nature can bite it for all I care. By virtue of our technology and our intellect, we and no other are the masters of this world. If it must die for humanity to reach the stars, then I will see it dead. If it must live, then I will see it live.

The web of life is a usless concept. Keeping ecosystems intact is well and good, but if I have to choose between a forest and colony ship, that forest is going down. Progress is the only true watchword.

We build levies to hold back floodwaters, and we make sure our buildings are able to withstand earthquakes. Heck, when forest fires threaten our homes, we fight them. We resist when nature threatens us. More importantly, we humans harness nature's power. And are capable of doing so in sustainable ways. If mutants are a force of nature, it would be unconscionable not to control them and develop ways to mitigate their potential dangers.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

lolbro

he sticks with people long enough that they think he's their pet or something and won't give him up whenever he needs to go somewhere

or like

he swims

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

While I agree that we shouldn't bow to ecosystems and all that, what reason is there that we are the supreme race in the universe? Sure, we're the only sentient race on Earth, so we're all kings here, but if we were to meet aliens of equal sentience, why should we slaughter them for our sake?

I mean, if they attacked us, sure. Nuke the place. Taking our lives and taking our freedom are much the same, and people who take freedom lose theirs. But if they did nothing willingly and directly to us, what would make us any better or more important?

The fact that they aren't humans, and the fact that we aren't them, are both beyond any of our control. What say or choice do we have over our birth? And so, we can't, in good conscience, act on these things. I'm not up for suicide, but unless they attacked first, we would have no right to kill aliens or mutants for our sake. It would be wrong. It would be evil.

Kill the mutants who attacked humanity. Don't lay a finger on the X-Men.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

While I agree that we shouldn't bow to ecosystems and all that, what reason is there that we are the supreme race in the universe? Sure, we're the only sentient race on Earth, so we're all kings here, but if we were to meet aliens of equal sentience, why should we slaughter them for our sake?

I mean, if they attacked us, sure. Nuke the place. Taking our lives and taking our freedom are much the same, and people who take freedom lose theirs. But if they did nothing willingly and directly to us, what would make us any better or more important?

The fact that they aren't humans, and the fact that we aren't them, are both beyond any of our control. What say or choice do we have over our birth? And so, we can't, in good conscience, act on these things. I'm not up for suicide, but unless they attacked first, we would have no right to kill aliens or mutants for our sake. It would be wrong. It would be evil.

Kill the mutants who attacked humanity. Don't lay a finger on the X-Men.

I don't condone the indiscriminate slaughter of other races. I'm not a bloody monster. If they make war on us or threaten us, we remove them. Simple as. They want to be friends, we can be friends. But if they threaten our interests our response must be swift and horrible. The universe doesn't give a darn about us. It doesn't owe us anything. So we're going to have to mug it to ensure we, as a species, survive and prosper. Humanity doesn't have any claim to the universe, but by the same token, no one else does. Leaving it to the strongest and most innovative.

Mutants are a threat in our own backyard. They will upset the social harmony, upset the law and order that keep us united and strong. What happens if a Mutant decides he doesn't like the local police? Or gets drunk and loses control? No. They are a risk. Too big of a risk to take. They must be removed, one way or another, to ensure we can continue on as a species.

Edited by Basilisk

TNG, or whatever you used to be called, I ask you this:

What species has ensured its survival without subduing or destroying any other species that does not show them a benefit? If no benefit is to be shown, it is a threat; if a benefit is possible but it has harmed you in the past more than helped you, it is a threat; as such, you remove it.

profiles i guess

But some of them, about a third judging by the X-Men fiction I've seen (I'm not very up to date or well-versed in it, please excuse my noobishness) have no desire to hurt us.

I'm glad we agree that we can have war or peace with aliens depending on their actions, and that the universe most certainly is not for or against us, but I can't support elimination of mutants simply because of risking accidents.

If a mutant gets drunk? Depends on just how much destruction he caused. Decides he wants to kill police? Kill him, no question about it. But if we get all genocidal, we're no better in any way than Magneto and his crowd of freaks.

Otter, I don't give a slag about what humanity does to animals that show them no benefit. They aren't sentient. But as for other sentient beings, if they were there, the answer to the question is much the same as the question of races.

We can't kill anyone unless they willingly and intentionally try to take our lives or our freedom.

What you are saying is that if we have no use for someone, we kill them. Is there no neutral area? Is it kill everything that doesn't help you? That disgusts me.

I would rather die than live by that philosophy.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I'm pretty sure that, unless Basilisk has been dropping me real hints over PM lately and I just haven't been taking him seriously enough, nobody in this discussion topic ever plans on taking another life.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Honestly, if it concerns the survival of the species, I'd rather conquer/destroy some potentially-dangerous alien race than leave them alone until they decided that we were a nuisance.

That's how things generally work. Either whatever it is you're ignoring dies, or it gets stronger and you get forced into a potentially greater danger when you have to protect yourself from them.

Also: You do realize there are quite a few animals out there who don't give us any benefit at all and yet we leave them alive, right? Simply because we want to preserve life? Well, they aren't a threat to us plain and simple.

Something sufficiently advanced as to be on-par with us, or past us in terms of sophistication?

They are a threat.

profiles i guess

But some of them, about a third judging by the X-Men fiction I've seen (I'm not very up to date or well-versed in it, please excuse my noobishness) have no desire to hurt us.

I'm glad we agree that we can have war or peace with aliens depending on their actions, and that the universe most certainly is not for or against us, but I can't support elimination of mutants simply because of risking accidents.

If a mutant gets drunk? Depends on just how much destruction he caused. Decides he wants to kill police? Kill him, no question about it. But if we get all genocidal, we're no better in any way than Magneto and his crowd of freaks.

Otter, I don't give a slag about what humanity does to animals that show them no benefit. They aren't sentient. But as for other sentient beings, if they were there, the answer to the question is much the same as the question of races.

We can't kill anyone unless they willingly and intentionally try to take our lives or our freedom.

What you are saying is that if we have no use for someone, we kill them. Is there no neutral area? Is it kill everything that doesn't help you? That disgusts me.

I would rather die than live by that philosophy.

Let me turn this around for a moment. Mutants very existence threatens the freedom of humanity as a whole. They might not intend it, but it does. Intentions change nothing. Many tyrants and monsters intended to do, in their own view, great good. I don't need to name names here do I? I think we can all come up with a list of such people.

If a Mutant with control of fire gets drunk and burns an old lady and her family alive in her house because he lacked control, well, what are we to do? It's not like a gun. It's part of him. Removing it is the only way to deal with it. We must be proactive, if someone is walking around with the power to level a city, but assures us he has no intention of doing it, well, I'm not going to sleep any better at not. He is a threat to my life, the lives of my dear friends, and to my freedom. We don't let citizens drive around with battle tanks, so why should we let him walk around with powers? He can submit, have those powers removed one way or another....or be removed himself. There is no middle ground.

The needs of the many, the freedoms of the many, have and always will, outweigh the needs of the few. Mutants are walking murder sprees waiting to happen.

....I am speaking in RP terms of course. This is a moral debate. Nothing more.

Edited by Basilisk

We shouldn't let citizens walk around armed like Dirty Harry, either. Anti-mutant violence is just a credible a threat: de-arm both sides, and we have a winner.

-Tyler

Well, that is why we have the Enforcers and the army. Enforcing the law is for, well, law enforcement.

TNG, your logic is extremely flawed.This isn't just about "taking out the people who attack us first". Even the "good" factions in this game have all, at some point, attacked government groups or representatives. Sometimes just for doing what they were supposed to do.And you'll note that not even in Xmen fiction are they usually out for "genocide". They ask people to register as mutants. If they did that, then yes, they would most likely be persecuted. But history has shown us time and time again that that can be overcome. By refusing to register they prove themselves hostile to what is, if we're being brutally honest, for the good of society.also, srsly. join or get out. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

That's not going to stop some backwoods anti-mutant bigots from grabbing a couple AR-15s and blowing away a mutant and his family, even if no one else has powers. If you strip mutants of their latent ability to defend themselves, you leave them open to the crazies.

Not that I don't agree with some of your points, but still. It's not as black and white as you people are looking to make it.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

That's not going to stop some backwoods anti-mutant bigots from grabbing a couple AR-15s and blowing away a mutant and his family, even if no one else has powers. If you strip mutants of their latent ability to defend themselves, you leave them open to the crazies.

Not that I don't agree with some of your points, but still. It's not as black and white as you people are looking to make it.

-Tyler

The former Mutant can still buy a gun y'know. Won't prevent every tragedy, but nothing can.

Maybe nationalize all pro-mutant corporations, set up former mutants with jobs and house them in guarded compounds. For their own safety and the safety of others....in case the cure didn't take.

-Tyler

The former Mutant can still buy a gun y'know. Won't prevent every tragedy, but nothing can.

Maybe nationalize all pro-mutant corporations, set up former mutants with jobs and house them in guarded compounds. For their own safety and the safety of others....in case the cure didn't take.

sssssh i'm trying to get rid of the guns pls stahp

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Black and white morality is the soul of general oratory, my friend.

When things get grey, that's when we start ending up like lawyers. And nobody likes lawyers.

heyleave my uncles out of thisor we'll sue you

fK5oqYf.jpg

Probably.

I'm just going to declare this a resounding victory for the Humanity Front.

Law. Liberty. Community.

The Humanity Front, looking out for you, the average man.

I understand that not all mutants can control their powers, and yet still constitute a threat, but remember that no one is unteachable. No one, anywhere. Disabled people have learned martial arts to a degree.

Why help us and hurt them when we can help both? All mutants had to train, whether a lot or a little, to use their powers in combat like they do. Train the mutant to full control and strength.

And then, if they choose willingly to harm us, that is when we rip his head off.And if we made peace with the X-Men and openly allied with them like common sense dictates, that would be a lot easier, which removes even the risks of that!

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is only sometimes applicable. Should one man sacrifice himself to save a people? Absolutely. I'd do it if needed. Should we exterminate a group because they might accidentally blow something up? My response to that contains too many swear words for BZP, followed by a very loud "No."

Why do we think against each other when peace is possible? And with peace between each other, we're strong enough to stop what little threat remains. Now does anyone have an even better solution? Hm?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I understand that not all mutants can control their powers, and yet still constitute a threat, but remember that no one is unteachable. No one, anywhere. Disabled people have learned martial arts to a degree.

Why help us and hurt them when we can help both? All mutants had to train, whether a lot or a little, to use their powers in combat like they do. Train the mutant to full control and strength.

And then, if they choose willingly to harm us, that is when we rip his head off.And if we made peace with the X-Men and openly allied with them like common sense dictates, that would be a lot easier, which removes even the risks of that!

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is only sometimes applicable. Should one man sacrifice himself to save a people? Absolutely. I'd do it if needed. Should we exterminate a group because they might accidentally blow something up? My response to that contains too many swear words for BZP, followed by a very loud "No."

Why do we think against each other when peace is possible? And with peace between each other, we're strong enough to stop what little threat remains. Now does anyone have an even better solution? Hm?

No need to get so hostile. The answer is easy if you look at it rationally. Let us take a tally:

All Mutant groups, have at one time, attacked Law Enforcement personal. The X-Men allied with bloody terrorists. Mutants are stronger then baseline humanity and are by and large, unwilling to register, unwilling to submit to authority. Should we kill them all out of hand? No. They will be given a chance to surrender. To have their powers removed and to live out the rest of their lives with a job, a secure home and with comfort. If they still resist and attempt to cling to the advantages they need to bully others, then we will have to remove them. Detaining them would be preferable, and then removing their powers. But some, like Quicksilver, are simply too dangerous to be left alive.

I don't bloody well care if the man driving a battle tank up my driveway is trained to do so. There is still a battle tank coming at my house.

The needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few is always in effect. It is the math by which humanity will advance. We cannot save everyone. So we must settle for saving as many as we can. Doing what we can, where we are, with what we have. Mutants would seek to rule over us, the Brotherhood is but one example of this. And the 'good' mutants will not always be able to stop them. The math is easy, we must act now, while the Mutant population can still be removed, to save the future of our children. To save the future of our species.

Edited by Basilisk

mother of

god freaking

gahhhhhh

-Tyler

I think some healthy debate is good for the topic honestly. Makes people think instead of beating up straw men.

:P

Edited by Basilisk

tngdudey u here. you're not even in this game, and yet, you're coming in to my discussion topic and stirring up already finished debates.

i have to monitor these, you know. to make sure everyone's behaving.

shame on you

:D

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg