X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

Except you're pretty much chalking it up to "a mutant is like every problem in the world, except the problems are BIGGER" and it's coming off as paranoia at this point by registering all the stuff mutants could do. I mean, seriously. I could set a huge fire with a good bit of kerosene and the right match, just like a pyrokinetic. Sure, it takes less effort, but the point is that most sane, rational people aren't going to set the fire in the first place. Ditto for playing the stock market, which no one wants in on even if they can read it because then there definitely will be government suits watching you. Yes, left unchecked, mutants could be a problem. But not as big of one as you're making them out to be at this stage of the argument. -Tyler

Hypothetical scenario:A normal human child CAN set a fire with a bit of fuel and a match. A mutant human child may spontaneously have his powers activate during a school field trip and disintegrate the kids he touches, or accidentally turn a campfire into a firestorm when he gets scared over a ghost story, or psychically fry those he gets angry with, or turn the swimming pool to acid, or-.The problem with the management of mutants is the unknown factor. We don't know when their powers will activate, nor do we know what those powers will be. You might end up with a kid with horns (harmless) or an adolescent that spontaneously generates a field of decay.Despite the risks, genocide is unethical and the government should not even remotely consider taking such steps. There are better ways with dealing with the mutant problem. Unfortunately, the simple system of registration, while a good start, is not the best way to deal with such potential dangers (nor is it the best way to see mutant gifts integrated into society). Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

Getting rid of the Mutant gene would be a good start. Cyro-freezing everyone with the gene until a cure could be found is another if that isn't viable.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

We need a better President in this game.

Wink. Wink.

-Tyler

....Does that mean what I think it means?

*Grabs radio*

WE ARE A GO. Commence! Commence!

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Getting rid of the Mutant gene would be a good start. Cyro-freezing everyone with the gene until a cure could be found is another if that isn't viable.

*cough* Integration into society. Not elimination. Integration means careful management, a structured approach which makes use of the useful, tolerates the harmless, and eliminates that which is irredeemably harmful.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

... we have cookies

I think the problem becomes where do you draw the line. Even the most basic of mutants can be deadly to normals; all it takes is a a bad argument between a mutant and a normal and the normal is significantly disadvantaged in the ensuing fight. A mutant of dairy products could be murderous in the appropriate circumstances.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

And what you guys are suggesting is unethical.

A good number of mutants don't want to be 'cured'. They like having powers. Madara is right, if you start trying to eliminate a factor in the genetic code of a person (if you may, a genetic disease, which is incurable by any science), that's a stride into a person's personal rights. National security or not, that's illegal, and immoral. Of all the possible solutions, integration is the best, and least violent solution. Sure there'll be wrinkles, but the other options would result in nothing short of mass uprisings, war, and genocide.

What's better? Forcing the mutant population to carry IDs, or wear power dampeners all the time? Or causing a war that would definitely wipe out one of the two species?

Unethical? You are the one who said that evolution should be a guiding force, that brother should set against brother.....

Seems a bit odd. A big thing about rights-you have rights provided they don't threaten the rights of others. Like the right to life.

I have mood swings =/

It would be far too easy for politicians to pass a law forcing all mutants to wear power-dampeners.

Although, with current events, I have a feeling that a push to a racewar is all too close... Time to find out who's right I guess. =/

P.S. I think it's weird that "racewar" isn't auto-correct by safari... Maybe apple's trying to tell us something...

Wrong actually. There have been studies proving that units with larger amounts of men have less losses. More men, more people to watch your back.

War is a number games and there are six billion of us.

The result isn't in doubt.

*cough* 7 Billion. That's the total population of the Earth. Which includes mutants.

And unless the humans managed to get their hands on a humongous amount of WMDs, biological, radiological, nuclear, and chemical included, and had lots of Mutates and Magicians on their side, the Mutants could still do heavy damage to them. For every drop fo mutant blood they spilled, they'd lose a gallon.

Edited by Constructman

I think you underestimate the ability of the nations of the world to think on their feet, CM.

Humanity survives. It always does. It'd come at a price, but last time I checked, mutants weren't exactly united or organized in any sort of serious fashion. The X-Men, the Brotherhood, they're all smallfry compared to a more global situation. The militaries and police forces of the world, however, are quite organized.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

*Musing*

All you need is a scapegoat after all... Most of the general public will agree with anything the governments of the world say if they're all saying it. A few would smell a rat, but they'd never be able to convince the governments of the world to stahp a racewar once it get's going...

I like this. Let's see where it goes...

And, if you didn't expect it...

Rapture's still alive. Imprisoned with no chance of escape, but alive.

Edited by Varren Rehn

*Lowers glasses in a near-impossibly smug manner*

The prosecution rests your honor.

/Arrogantsouthernlawyervoice

Edited by Basilisk

Ok, I can't stay out of this. Argh.

Look, if you can extract the X-Gene from mutants, can't you replicate it and pass it around? Think about it. This way, the playing field is leveled, with the variations in human strength being about the same as they are in real life.

No genocide, no racism, no prejudice, everyone's a mutant and equal in rights.

Sure, stronger mutants could rise up as dictators, but humans among other humans have done that too, and if that happens, mutants will stop the mutant dictator.

And as an added bonus, rather than suppressing humanity's evolution, you drastically accelerate it.

Now that ought to make both of you happy, Basilisk, Varren.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Evolution doesn't work like that-*gets slapped by Marvel pseudo science*

Personally I don't feel like getting mutant powers. Too mainstream. I'm a hipster when it comes to things like that.

voidstars.png

Well, it may not be evolution per se, but if the X-Gene is present in the majority of humanity, soon humanity would become an extremely powerful species. Every child born would have it!

I think, Basilisk, that it would be a betrayal of your own species not to do that.

But Alex, being hipster is becoming mainstream. Now doesn't that mean you'd have to become mutant to avoid being mainstream? XD

All right then...someone please give me an overview of the situation. Not a plot summary, just the current one.

I'm joining this thing.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well, Mutant Growth Hormone is a popular drug in the Marvel universe. Gives you temporary powers.During the civil war, a unit was also formed of celebrities, who signed contracts and were given powers for one year. The contracts had codes of conduct and other waivers. If a person broke the agreement (in one case, by drinking alcohol), the initiative would take away their powers.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

... we have cookies