• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

X-Men: Discussion Topic

X-Men Marvel Superheroes

• Please log in to reply
1784 replies to this topic

#681 Offline Infamous Ironic Iguana

Infamous Ironic Iguana
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,833 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 07:38 AM

SUMMARY OF SITUATION ON FIRST PAGE OF MAIN TOPIC SOLDIER. SECOND FLEX POST, I BELIEVE. TEN HUT!Good spawning points, eh, the mansion, las vegas, New York someplace away from the telepaths...

"They're smarter, faster, and stronger than us. Fantastic."

#682 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 10:21 AM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]I believe the word you are looking for Basilisk is 'neutron bomb'. Very quick burst of neutrons, destroys all organic life and leaves the buildings completely untouched. Radiation wears off in about a week, assuming you go with the clean version.[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]I would however suggest the robots hide in some sort of lead box, as their sensitive electronics could be... hurt.[/font]

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#683 Offline Hatty Hattington

Hatty Hattington
  • Members
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,159 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 10:28 AM

And this is why I hate machines.

BZPRPG Characters | Midnight City

Oh why you so sad?
What have they done?
Forget those mindless baboons
They're off playing god
Copycats in cheap suits
All playing it safe
While cannibals with their bad news
Consume the parade

Is it so... Wonderful?

Marvel, Rebirth Characters | FTL

#684 Offline The Otter

The Otter
  • Members
  • Voya Nui Discovered

• 12,423 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 10:43 AM

Basilisk, don't forget the other plan.

#685 Offline Zyke the Space Biker

Zyke the Space Biker
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:07 PM

Guys, I was thinking, and judging from the current situation in the RP, do you think it'd be a good idea for either SHIELD or the Enforcers to have a covert/clandestine ops division? A group of soldiers trained for operations too immoral/illegal for the big organizations to carry out in the limelight? It'd be a more conventional special operations team.

That...

That actually isn't a bad idea. Although, since the former Weapon-X spec-ops group is currently allied with the Enforcers (or so I've been led to believe), we may already have one.

Edited by The Zytrix, Mar 10 2013 - 03:09 PM.

brokenmr.jpg

#686 Online Last Son Amakusa

Last Son Amakusa
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:17 PM

So one for SHIELD then? It would operate on missions too controversial for public SHIELD agents to work on (ie sabotage  assassinations, framing, deep enemy ground penetration, etc). It would be both more controversial and more high tech (Halo-y) than the Enforcer Spec Ops due to the nature of their missions and their equipment respectively. Definitely a far cry from the Avengers and Pantheon.

Also, due to the growing number of mutant threats, I've got a new weapon in mind. It would be a portable power dampener, worn as a harness over a suit of powered armor, creating a circular power dampening field with the soldier as the center. If the wearer is a mutant, it'll cancel out their power as well.

Edited by Constructman, Mar 10 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#687 Offline Simon the Digger

Simon the Digger
  • Members
  • Floating Support

• 11,571 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's worth noting, CM, that there really is no such thing as a "public" SHIELD agent. Nor are there public teams. The Avengers, though known to the public, do not hand out their every move. In fact, every SHIELD member on that team has functioned in a spec ops capacity throughout their career. James and Brando's continued references to missions in Asia, for instance.The Pantheon, while less publicly known, have similar capacities. So, while it is not a bad idea, SHIELD doesn't really need a spec ops team. They already have two, and most members of their organization are capable of spec ops anyway. Just because a team is known does not mean they are recognizable, or even noticeable when they work. I should also point out that only two members of the Avengers, and none of the Pantheon members are well known. Nor does either team have any footage or still images of them out there save for some distant shots. Only Noel and Stark are well known or identifiable amongst them.

The best comparison I can make is knowing an assassin exists. You know they exist, but you don't know when, where, or even if they will strike.

gallery_93554_146_615.jpg

Red Skies, an FTL Prequel (Updated 7/13)

#688 Offline The Otter

The Otter
  • Members
  • Voya Nui Discovered

• 12,423 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:51 PM

Erin hasn't done anything spec-ops in his life.

#689 Online Last Son Amakusa

Last Son Amakusa
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:54 PM

Well, I was thinking something even more cclandestine than average because of its controversialness. There would be no "hero" aspect to it; the people involved would be doing all of the dirty, morally questionable work.

#690 Online Brooklyn Pace-Carlisle

Brooklyn Pace-Carlisle
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • BZPRPG Staff and OTC RPG Judge

• 11,226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:55 PM

"every SHIELD member"

That's James, Brando, Noel and Ares.

-Tyler

~who is this sassy delight getting reported so much~

#691 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 03:57 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Since when was SHIELD strictly moral anyways? They were pretty nasty in some of the Civil War story arcs.[/font]

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#692 Offline The Otter

The Otter
  • Members
  • Voya Nui Discovered

• 12,423 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 04:00 PM

Don't they technically all count as SHIELD members, though, now that they're a part of the Avengers?

Hmm.

Wait.

I can't remember anymore.

Edited by The Otter, Mar 10 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#693 Online Last Son Amakusa

Last Son Amakusa
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 04:00 PM

By morally questionable I mean taking the Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Convention, ripping both apart, and eating the pieces. I'm talking about the darkest possible for the "good" guys.

Edited by Constructman, Mar 10 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#694 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 04:11 PM

Bah. In a world like this, the only thing the moral high ground is good for is a position for a spotter.

For the biological warfare missile

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#695 Offline Simon the Digger

Simon the Digger
  • Members
  • Floating Support

• 11,571 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 04:16 PM

By morally questionable I mean taking the Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Convention, ripping both apart, and eating the pieces. I'm talking about the darkest possible for the "good" guys.

That doesn't really exist.To be perfectly blunt, in this game, there are no real heroes. There are no spotless, kind hearted individuals who never have to make controversial choices. The X-Men are supposedly the good guys. But when you actually think about it, they're techincally a terrorist organization that makes use of child soldiers.The Enforcers are a government agency meant to keep the peace, by enforcing registration acts. But mutants and pro-mutant protesters see them as the embodiment of mutant prejudice. The Brotherhood has lofty goals, of a society where mutants are at the very least treated fairly. And in truth, their most fanatical member is Quicksilver himself. They could be the most heroic group, were it not for their methods and their leader's insistence on mutant superiority. SHIELD is a group dedicated to protecting the US, and if you'd payed attention to them around the time of Brando's "death", you'd see that they have no qualms about doing whatever they have to.They already have spec ops capable agents, and they clearly have no regard for morals, and in Marvel canon, not even the law is necessarily enough to stop them from doing what they need to. By your own described standards, there are no heroes because every organization in the game violates every moral and ethical rule there is. Thus, there is no logical reason to make a team specifically for controversial events.

Edited by The Snark Knight, Mar 10 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#696 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 04:21 PM

In sum: welcome to the world of no right answers.

Enjoy.

Edited by Basilisk, Mar 10 2013 - 04:21 PM.

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#697 Online Last Son Amakusa

Last Son Amakusa
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hm, good point. I was thinking Punisher-level dark but from that point of view, the game's pretty dark already.

#698 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:04 PM

In the grimdarkness of the third millenium, there is only war.

Edited by Basilisk, Mar 10 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#699 Offline Simon the Digger

Simon the Digger
  • Members
  • Floating Support

• 11,571 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:06 PM

We had a guy kill his son (Granted, he got better) so he wouldn't try and stop him from killing his girlfriend so an all-powerful abomination wouldn't be unleashed upon the world again. We had an organization fake one of their agent's death, and let themselves be hacked so a coming issue might be prevented. Heck, we have a character whose entire known backstory consists of forced combat to the death.I'd say we've gotten pretty dark, yeah.

#700 Offline Hubert

Hubert
  • Members
  • FFM The Order Winner

• 3,530 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:11 PM

In this world, Demonic Possession is one of the lighter things.

#701 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:13 PM

In this world, Demonic Possession is one of the lighter things.

And the side that would commit genocide if given the resources and no other option is considered morally ambiguous, if not outright good. By comparison to what is on the other side.

This setting is pretty freakin dark.

Edited by Basilisk, Mar 10 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#702 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:14 PM

...you have seen the RPGs title right? :D

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

the_ultron_imperative.jpg

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#703 Offline The Otter

The Otter
  • Members
  • Voya Nui Discovered

• 12,423 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 05:19 PM

just wait until I give you -all- of Grigori's plans

#704 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 06:39 PM

We should really take a grimdark tally at some point. Between the Lovecraft elements, fridge horror, the massive increases in military power (the sentinals were evidently an internal project)....

Edited by Basilisk, Mar 10 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#705 Online Last Son Amakusa

Last Son Amakusa
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm really itching to get Knower back into the field. I need to develop his dark side but I can't have him go all Punisher if he isn't doing anything. Argh...

#706 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well. I've found the perfect statement to describe the RPG currently.

"It's not the end of the world...but you can see it from here."

#707 Online Last Son Amakusa

Last Son Amakusa
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,208 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 09:06 PM

Knower's gonna steal that quote. Just warnin' ya.

#708 Offline Zyke the Space Biker

Zyke the Space Biker
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 09:46 PM

fridge horror

You mean like what happens when you keep your milk past the expiration date?

brokenmr.jpg

#709 Offline Madara: Mangekyou Master

Madara: Mangekyou Master
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 10:27 PM

fridge horror

Either that or Space Lobster... doing that makes quasi-slime monsters... *shudders*

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master, Mar 10 2013 - 10:27 PM.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

#710 Offline .:The Abysswalker:.

.:The Abysswalker:.
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 74 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well. I've found the perfect statement to describe the RPG currently.

"It's not the end of the world...but you can see it from here."

I have great love for the song with pretty much the same title.

fridge horror

Well, that too, but more accurately, it's when you finished watching, reading, playing or experiencing something, and a few hours later, or even days, or possibly years, you're looking in your fridge, and suddenly realize how horrible the implications or actions, or events of what you experienced actually were/could be.

artoriassig.jpg

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

#711 Offline Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Mata Nui Resurrected

• 18,030 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 06:01 AM

Giant piloted robots fit perfectly within the Marvel Universe.

Shogun Warriors

Now with Brave Raideen Raydeen, Combattler V Combattra and ... Dangard Ace.

Also, Godzilla.

gallery_107889_133_3220.jpg

#712 Offline Zyke the Space Biker

Zyke the Space Biker
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 09:41 PM

I was reading a book about superheroes and zombies today when an idea came to me: what if we had a strength rating scale similar to the system we use to rate telepaths in this game? It would certainly make it easier for characters with superhuman strength to go through the approval process.

brokenmr.jpg

#713 Online Brooklyn Pace-Carlisle

Brooklyn Pace-Carlisle
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • BZPRPG Staff and OTC RPG Judge

• 11,226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 09:43 PM

I don't like numbers

-Tyler

~who is this sassy delight getting reported so much~

#714 Offline The Otter

The Otter
  • Members
  • Voya Nui Discovered

• 12,423 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't like numbers

-Tyler

none of us do

that's why you just trust the players to be smart about it

instead of making them conform to some rigid system

fight the powah

#715 Offline Zyke the Space Biker

Zyke the Space Biker
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well, that's the point. Some players *coughShawncough* can't be trusted to know their own characters' strength. Maybe a rigid rating system isn't in order (I wasn't saying it would be rigid), but I think some sort of system to gauge the strength of characters should be used in favor of the "well he/she might be able to lift this much or this much depending on how badly I want to beat this other character up" approach.

Edited by The Zytrix, Mar 11 2013 - 10:12 PM.

brokenmr.jpg

#716 Offline Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime
  • Members
  • Lehvak-Kal Launched

• 4,833 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hmm. A scale...

(checks scale)

IT'S OVER 9000!

#717 Offline .:The Abysswalker:.

.:The Abysswalker:.
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 74 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 01:00 AM

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of a rating system. I suppose I would have to see it in action before I truly said it didn't work, though. That aside, I'm gonna take a second to disagree with the notion that Shawn couldn't be trusted to know his own character's strength. Aside from the one time in the beginning of the RPG when he held on to that pole while everything and it's mother was hitting him, he played well within the established boundaries of his character.

artoriassig.jpg

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

#718 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,652 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 05:19 AM

Given that the scale used on telepaths has the highly accurate "make it up" system of doing it, what would be the point in one for strength? I mean what exactly does being a 'level 9 telepath' allow Ashlynn and Rapture to do better than someone who hasn't bothered specifying a rating, like pretty much all the other psychics?

Edited by Lord of Adders Black, Mar 12 2013 - 02:49 PM.

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

the_ultron_imperative.jpg

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#719 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 10:35 AM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Besides, it isn't that hard to say "this dude can bench n amount" or somesuch for a rough idea of strength.[/font]

voidstars.png

#720 Offline Simon the Digger

Simon the Digger
  • Members
  • Floating Support

• 11,571 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of a rating system. I suppose I would have to see it in action before I truly said it didn't work, though. That aside, I'm gonna take a second to disagree with the notion that Shawn couldn't be trusted to know his own character's strength. Aside from the one time in the beginning of the RPG when he held on to that pole while everything and it's mother was hitting him, he played well within the established boundaries of his character.

Weeeeeeell.... There were other instances than that, but that's neither here nor there. Part of the issue is that there is no set concept for super strength, so it basically amounted to whatever the user thought it should be. Which in Shawn's case, was at times not what everyone else thought it should be.

Given that the scale used on telepaths has the highly accurate "make it up" system of doing it, what would be the point in one for strength? I mean what exactly doing being a 'level 9 telepath' allow Ashlynn and Rapture to do better than someone who hasn't bothered specifying a rating, like pretty much all the other psychics?

Also, pretty much this. Telepathy, though possessing a relative scale at times, doesn't have a set ability scale. So why should strength have one?

If someone abuses their power beyond what they should be able to, the staff can deal with it. While an actual scale could be helpful, it just seems like more trouble than it is actually worth, and it really would just reignite the whole "Profile says" debate again, which would the the third or fourth time now.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users