X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

So where should the group meet?

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Name: Tomi "Tommy" OyamaCodename: TenguAge: 33Gender: MaleFaction: M.A.C.E. (formerly Enforcers)Power(s): Tengu has no natural powers, but has inherited his mother's cybernetic healing factor, thanks to the nanites in his body. Lady Deathstrike infused adamantium into some of bones and connective tissue in his skeleton, and layered Olympian adamantine on his skull. Telepathic Immunity - Thanks to the Olympian adamantine metal which lines his skull, Tengu's mind is completely cut off from psychic attacks or telepathic contact. Enhanced Durability & Reflexes - Tengu has a measure of enhanced durability and reflexes, thanks to the nanites which have integrated into his body and nervous system. Cybernetic Healing Factor - As a result of inheriting the nanites used by Donald Pierce on his mother. Tengu is able to repair damage done to his parts within a relatively shot period of time. However, the nanites that fuel the healing factor run on careful calculations. Minor injuries and wounds are not repaired by the nanites, so long as they are calculated not to seriously interfere with Tengu's operational efficiency. While the nanites cannot be used to directly regrow lost limbs, his cybernetic healing factor can be used to re-attach limbs. It has also acted as an internal defibrillator. Appearance: Tommy Oyama is of Eurasian descent, being the son of Yuriko Oyama and an American member of the Hand. He has dark brown hair and deep brown eyes. When wearing glasses, he is likely to be identified as an Asian. When not wearing glasses, he is more likely to be identified as Caucasian. When on undercover missions, he tends to wear dress shirts or turtlenecks and trench coats. His skin is very pale, and he stands at about 5'11. He is reasonably good-looking, which facilitates his job as a public liaison and field commander for M.A.C.E.Weapons: Tomi's weaponry is customized for nonlethal suppression of mutant elements, and for dealing with mutants with healing factors and toughened skin. He carries a small customized flechette pistol, designed to fire specialized ammunition. The barbed carbonadium flechettes lack the stopping power of a bullet. However, they are ideal for use against mutants with healing factors, as carbonadium has the tendency to slow down their rate of healing. The flechettes have some piercing power. The bottom of the barrel holds an attachment that can be used to fire rounds of artificial webbing based off of technology produced by Horizon Labs, for non-lethal restraint and suppression. Tomi's preferred form of confronting renegade mutants is through close-quarters combat, he tends to use a pair of specially forged ninjato-like swords. The blades are made of adamantium, and have been inlaid with carbonadium. An energy projector is installed in the hilts of each sword, which are used to sheathe the swords with a dampening energy field. This field allows the swords to be used without completely dicing apart his targets. In order to detect mutants, Tengu has a special pair of sunglasses that have been embedded with X-gene detecting technology. The shades are connected with the national mutant database, via technology purchased from a certain large web company. He is able to cross-reference mutants he detects with the database. He also carries a briefcase with the US government's standard X-Gene suppressing armlet. The device clamps firmly around the mutant's arm, and is waterproof and shielded from external electrical energy. Injectable tracking chips and a syringe are also carried in the briefcase. Skills: Having been raised by a member of the Hand, Tengu is well versed in close quarters combat, shadowing people, and infiltrating locations. He is a capable lockpick, and regularly carries a set of picks with him. He is skilled at evaluating the powers of mutants. Personality: Tomi Oyama is a generally sheltered young man. However, he tends to be a fairly 'Zen' fellow, with an air of warm professionalism when on the job. Due to his strict upbringing, he has a fascination with the cuisine and drink of the masses. He is very loyal to his teammates, and to the cause of mutant control.Weakness: Despite his cybernetic healing factor, Tommy has the senses and needs of a normal human being. While his durability and reflexes have been enhanced by the nanites in his system, Tommy's strength and stamina are limited to that of a human who regularly engages in intense physical exercise. Furthermore, while his cybernetic healing factor heals serious injuries, the nanites often do not quickly repair minor injuries, so long as they are calculated not to seriously interfere with Tengu's operational efficiency. As a result, he does not enjoy wearing kevlar body armour, as the severe bruises left by bullet impacts tend to heal more slowly (and cause much longer discomfort) than actual bullet wounds. Harsh electrical shocks are able to temporarily shut down his nanites, which briefly put him into a catatonic state while the nanites reboot. Bio: Son of Lady Deathstrike and an American member of the Hand, Tommy was raised with anti-mutant sentiments, and given the appropriate treatments in order to make him an effective anti-mutant enforcer. He joined the Enforcers at the age of 21, and worked his way up to a reasonably high rank. When the Enforcers and key military units were folded together in order to create M.A.C.E., Tommy was given the role of a field commander and public liaison. His primary task is to engage mutants, both registered and unregistered, with the new mutant control legislation, and evaluate the risks associated with their abilities. Resistance is usually met with either capture or execution.

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

You guys forgot rapture had wings...On psychic dampening, I always went by three rules. Psychics can block, so can those with psychic training, and that adamantium is a natural psychic dampener, that telepathy cannot breach without enhanced powers.On characters, I mostly believe in Hubert's (or whoever said it) mantra of "letting the game shape your character, don't make a complicated backstory". Take that as you will.Ps. Making a backstory can also be fun to do.

What's the difference between a psychic and those with psychic training? Aren't they the same thing, because you need training to hone your psychic skills?EDIT That works for some characters. But for others, especially older characters, you need a big backstory, otherwise they start becoming "RandomBobs".

Edited by Constructman

Psychic training with no psychic powers is merely for defense and possible in-your-own-mind retaliation against those with actual psychic powers.

AKA: You can repel and attack anybody who comes in your mind, but only so long as they're in your mind for the second part. The first part would be rather constant provided you don't get super-distracted somehow.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

Psychic training with no psychic powers is merely for defense and possible in-your-own-mind retaliation against those with actual psychic powers. AKA: You can repel and attack anybody who comes in your mind, but only so long as they're in your mind for the second part. The first part would be rather constant provided you don't get super-distracted somehow.

So if that's the case...Can you get psychic POWERS through psychic TRAINING?

Psychic training with no psychic powers is merely for defense and possible in-your-own-mind retaliation against those with actual psychic powers. AKA: You can repel and attack anybody who comes in your mind, but only so long as they're in your mind for the second part. The first part would be rather constant provided you don't get super-distracted somehow.

So if that's the case...Can you get psychic POWERS through psychic TRAINING?

I just explained the whole thing in the most basic terms possible and you ask that question. I don't know if you're trolling or not.

I give up.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

CM, I'm going to break this down to you, because I have nothing better to do.

Psychic training would allow a character to better defend their own mind from any invasive abilities, save those otherwise noted. You could put up a decent fight against a medium level telepath, maybe even repel a low level telepath, and last more than a second against a high level telepath. You might even be able to detect subtle invasion, if you're good enough. But you will never gain any psychic abilities yourself, and will forever be restricted to your own mind.

Telepaths have those abilities from the get-go, even if they are not well trained in using them, and are also capable of acting outside of their own mind.

In short, trained people can defend themselves semi-effectively, and that's it. Telepaths can do it all.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Psychic training = Mental Shields. you know Training yourself to defend against psionic attacks, whether it be mind control or simple telepathy. seriously What's so hard about that?

All of that was written in English. One word out of place, and all of a sudden, it means something completely different.Edit: on a the last new president post, Nicole was controlled by flex, and now flex is gone. What dark magic do you plan to use to get this to work? Edited by Varren Rehn

Hmm, I hadn't anticipated that. But that's alright! :D Tengu and possibly a partner from the military go to the school to have a cordial discussion with whichever X-Men are left. If Nicole isn't there, she isn't there. At the very least, he stays at the school to maintain surveillance for a little while. If she's a student at a mutant boarding school, the usual assumption is that she'd be at the boarding school.

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

Hmm, I hadn't anticipated that. But that's alright! :D Tengu and possibly a partner from the military go to the school to have a cordial discussion with whichever X-Men are left. If Nicole isn't there, she isn't there. At the very least, he stays at the school to maintain surveillance for a little while. If she's a student at a mutant boarding school, the usual assumption is that she'd be at the boarding school.

Guess this means I need a profile for Stevens now right?

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I tried. When I conquer the world you can't say I didn't try to make it a challenge for myself.

You'll see. You'll all see!

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.