X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

Yeah, but see, letting a human nuke walk around with nothing to keep him in control is just asking for trouble. The leaders of the nation would have to be braindead to allow such a thing.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Braindead national leaders. Comrade Putin would never stand for this.

Mutants must be controlled. Regulated.

They must accept this.

Or face the results.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Yeah, but see, letting a human nuke walk around with nothing to keep him in control is just asking for trouble. The leaders of the nation would have to be braindead to allow such a thing.

It has been canonically (Well, XMDD canon) that many countries outside of the US have no issues with mutants. Because unlike the US, they didn't have the whole "prejudice" problem to create these conflicts in the first place. They regulate themselves, by having mutants integrated into society. Including the police force.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

You'd be the one person in this RPG who would move in with a SWAT team and arrest Dallas Green while he tried to make a speech calming everyone down.

That's not a good thing.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

....Yeah. The world doesn't work that way. At all.

No prejudice in other nations?

I'll be over here. Laughing.

Russians are actually pretty darn racist. As are the Japanese, the Koreans....every nation has problems with prejudice. Europe/Asia/Whatever isn't some magical utopia.

Not seeing them reacting well to mutants.

EDIT: Law and order must be upheld. Humanity must be protected.

Edited by Basilisk

Considering Russia's pretty steamed that America's mistreating kids brought over for adoptive purposes, how do you think they'd react to a Russian citizen - a legal adult - being mistreated on American soil?

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I didn't say there was no prejudice.

But I think you'll note that many European nations in particular have comparatively few issues regarding prejudice. Rather than the huge issues the US had with mutants in the nineties, some nations made an attempt to integrate them into society. And in some cases, it worked.

How do you control a living nuke? The same way you control actual weapons. Balance of power. For every criminal mutant, of which there are relatively few, there's at least one in the police.

Iceland, by Humva's request, is one such nation.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

....There was a massive march in France against Gay Rights recently.

Also, anti-Muslim prejudice.

This is just magical thinking on it's worst and justification for some far-off and illogical happy ending to the whole issue. I'm sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_in_Europe

Heck, look at this article. Europe would be just as bad, if not worse, then America on this.

Edited by Basilisk

I think you might also note that those are based on reasons not based around race, but rather, religious issues. Now, we're starting to veer into non-BZP appropriate topics, so I'll close this by directing you to the above explanation.

There are countries that have integrated mutants into society effectively.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Oh dear. Not the g-word and religion. D:The most important thing is that the Brotherhood attack was at a UN convention centre, in a room packed with foreign diplomats. The world has some understanding on how to deal with criminals. Also... diplomatic immunity isn't a blanket over all of a country's citizens. As a visitor to a country, you are subject to its laws, and just as likely to be prosecuted as Joe the Plumber. I would cite cases from Thailand and Singapore, but they might not be entirely appropriate.

Edited by Madara: Mangekyou Master

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

...That makes no sense. At all. You didn't even read that last article. Racism of the normal kind is very very common in Europe.

This is utterly unrealistic.

Oh dear. Not the g-word and religion. D:

I am sorry, but I do not make the BZPower rules. I just obey them. Religion is a distinctly banned topic of conversation.

EDIT: Basilisk, I suspect this is a topic we will not agree on. But there is preexisting evidence in XMDD canon, evidence that I cannot simply cast aside.

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

Also... diplomatic immunity isn't a blanket over all of a country's citizens. As a visitor to a country, you are subject to its laws, and just as likely to be prosecuted as Joe the Plumber.

It was a Lethal Weapon 2 joke.

EDIT: Plus, if Aleksandr's a legal Russian citizen and doesn't have permanent citizenship in the US, then he's not subject to the same anti-mutant laws as bona fide American citizens.

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I guess I'll just have to conquer the world then. Because that appears to be the only way to draft sensible policy for some nations.

Edited by Basilisk

Oh dear. Not the g-word and religion. D:

I am sorry, but I do not make the BZPower rules. I just obey them. Religion is a distinctly banned topic of conversation.

Hence my reaction to the Islamophobia article. D:

I mean this with the utmost respect, but please, shut up. Like I have said, I do not create the BZPower policy. But I must obey it. If I ran this site, it would not be a banned topic. But I don't, and it is.

EDIT: I misread your post. Apologies.

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

I removed the links. 'Cept the wikipedia one, which specifically covers only race. As mentioned in the first few sentances.

It's quite the massive list.

Basilisk, your concerns have been noted. But as I have stated, there is precedence in the game to be followed. Specifically, the nature of mutant politics in other countries that has been covered a few times in-game, as well as outside the game in conversation with several players.

And it is not something I can simply disregard, or retcon away.

fK5oqYf.jpg

All of those were based on a worldview that is so utterly black and white in it's viewpoint that it could be mistaken for a certain flightless bird.....

Gah. Research isn't hard people.

This is a bit of a unique case because to my knowledge there's only two or three non-North American mutants; one of them is Humva's, and Iceland is apparently one of these countries that has been assimilated due to his personal request. The other is Aleksandr, and Russian/American politics are nowhere near the stage where Russia would let anything happen to one of its citizens on American soil, mutant or no.

The foreign policy on mutants doesn't really matter much in the long run, anyway, Basilisk. I think you just need something to conquer and bend to your whims at this point. :P

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

You mean reality?

Yes.

Because I have some objections to the way it is running currently.

Edited by Basilisk

All of those were based on a worldview that is so utterly black and white in it's viewpoint that it could be mistaken for a certain flightless bird.....

Gah. Research isn't hard people.

Research becomes significantly more difficult when it deals with cases that do not actually exist, and in a world where the entire last four decades has played out completely different than how they have in the real world.

Plus, if all countries had adopted the standards you have been working towards, there would be no unregistered mutants left. They would all either be fugitives, registered, imprisoned, or dead. And since that isn't the case, laws have to be significantly more lax in other countries.

fK5oqYf.jpg

We're in a game with giant mecha run by a totalitarian anti-mutant police force, world leaders being decapitated in the biggest hive of Secret Service and government activity in the world after five minute speeches from a two-bit psychopath, countries and islands that never existed but are being carpet bombed anyway, and a world in which 51 percent of America elects a Republican to lead them.

And you want reality.

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

.....I fail to see how those things negate the historical and present attitudes certain nations have torwards prejudice. Or the problems they have with it.

Plus, if all countries had adopted the standards you have been working towards, there would be no unregistered mutants left. They would all either be fugitives, registered, imprisoned, or dead. And since that isn't the case, laws have to be significantly more lax in other countries.

Ah. So they can't adopt my policies because they'd work too well.
Edited by Basilisk

We're not dealing with certain nations because they don't matter. We're in America. We're staying in America.

Aleks is a unique case because he's a Russian national and doesn't have American citizenship. It stands to reason that the Russian government wouldn't let something as high-profile as one of their mutant citizens being abused stand. That's all.

This whole argument is irrelevant, and I'm not sure why it got this far.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Basilisk, it is late, so I apologize if I am not making myself clear. I will rectify that now.

I am saying that your policies cannot be in effect, because if they were, the in-game world would be radically different. Since it is as it is, those policies are clearly not in effect. Second, when you introduce a variable as significant as mutants into the world, and you end up changing four decades worth of history, you end up with something radically different than what you would expect.

fK5oqYf.jpg

No sell here. Historical attitudes are built over centuries. Norms don't change quite that fast. I've had classes on this.

Racism, you'll note, is still a massive problem despite the civil rights mo-whatever. I'm done.

Posting for approval.

Name: First Lieutenant Samantha C. Stevens
Codename: None.
Faction: Mutant Activities Control and Enforcement (MACE)
Powers: None.
Appearance: A young African American women, Samantha is in excellent shape, as fits her status as a soldier within MACE and a former member of the vaunted United States Marines Corps. Her eyes are a bright emerald green, her hair is black and she sports the typical military buzz cut. When on the job with MACE, she typically wears a camouflage uniform appropriate for the environment she’s working in, sometimes this will include a gasmask, and sometimes it won’t. The uniform will, as is standard with MACE, have Kevlar and other protective elements incorporated into it, such as rubber to deal with electricity hurling mutants, fire retardant materials to deal with fire mutants and such as.
Weapons: Typically, she carries a Heckler & Koch HK416 assault rifle, a combat knife and a Heckler & Koch HK45 pistol. She also carries an Arc Caster for nonlethal takedowns. However, the load out will vary mission from mission. Certain weapons work better against certain mutants and only a fool would try to use an assault rifle against a mutant made of stone.
Skills: She has gone through extensive training in the USMC and is, for all intents and purposes, an expert when it comes to combat, survival and other such things. She is an excellent physical condition, is extremely skilled with fire arms and in melee combat. In short, she is exactly what one would expect of a soldier chosen to defend the common people from the horrible threat the Mutants pose to the world. She is also well-read, she particularly enjoys military Sci-Fi, feeling that the future is always fun to speculate about…..mix that in with explosions and drama and you have a winning tale.
Personality: Samantha protects people; she views it as her calling. She protects her nation, her soldiers and if she has any strength left for it, herself. She joined the USMC because she felt she had to step up, had to do something about the **** the world was becoming. She has served with distinction. Her bravery and courage has never come into question. She is dedicated to her job and her cause, realizing full well the threat the mutants pose. She doesn’t want to kill them, and will avoid it if she can but if they go hostile, she sees no problem with putting them in the dirt. She will not, however, fire on unarmed civilians. Those are the people she’s supposed to be protecting and ordering her to do so is a good way to lose your teeth.
Weakness: She is a normal, albeit extraordinarily brave, human in a world of mutants and magic. Without her weapons, a fight against a mutant has little chance of going well for her.
Bio: Samantha joined the army at a young age and has more or less made a career out of it. She attended college during her spare time and is currently the proud owner of a BA in English….which means she’ll be in the armed forces for a good while yet, considering the economic situation. She doesn’t mind this however, viewing the opportunity to do some good in the world as one well worth taking. When her unit was folded into MACE, she went with them. She currently commands a platoon of men and is stationed in New York city until new orders filter through. The promotion was appreciated as well.
Edited by Basilisk

See all that discussion accomplished was making me want to make a French Brotherhood member. He'd have some sort of portal based power since thats a running-away-based power. Yay stereotypes! :P

Incidentally, did you want to get an actual teacher on the increasing aggression? Since Tyrone has the qualities of being big, bulky and bullet-proof he could be ideal

7AOYGDJ.jpg

See all that discussion accomplished was making me want to make a French Brotherhood member. He'd have some sort of portal based power since thats a running-away-based power. Yay stereotypes! :P Incidentally, did you want to get an actual teacher on the increasing aggression? Since Tyrone has the qualities of being big, bulky and bullet-proof he could be ideal

That would be excellent. Just a conversation would be ideal. Tengu really isn't here for a fight.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies