The time before time?

I'm pretty sure it just means 'a long time ago', emphasizing that it was, well, a really long time ago.

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Keetongu was described as being hidden since the Time Before Time, when I think it was only a few hundred years. So I think it's just a colloquial term for 'a long time ago' or 'who-knows-how-long ago'.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I believe it means before Mata Nui first awoke 100 000 years ago. Though for the purpose keeping the Matoran's origins secret on Mata Nui (island), the turaga used it to reffer to pre great cataclism.I suppose it could reffer to any time before the current era. E.g.: during the reign of the barraki anything before their rise would be the time before time. Now anything before the melding was in the time before time ( which is almost all of Bionicle).

I believe Greg once implied it referred to the time before the Great Cataclysm, but that isn't really plausible since Nuju claimed in Web of Shadows that Keetongu has not been since the Time Before Time -- which was, at the time, only a few weeks ago at most.

The Bahrag claim to seek to make Mata Nui as it was, in their own words, in the Before-Time. Combined with other hints, it probably means pre-Shattering.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Perhaps it was before Mata-Nui was built by the Great Beings.

-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

It seems to me that those who use the expression refer to the time they consider to be "before" the current era. The exact definition can vary.On Mata Nui, the Turaga seemed to mean pre-Cataclysm. The Bahrag appeared to use this as the baseline as well, since the "before-time" of the island would be when it was still barren, and it was only created right after the Great Cataclysm in the first place. Within the Toa Metru's stories, however, "Time Before Time" is even further back, either back to the point where none of them even existed (as per their telling of the Great Beings) or at least as far back as anyone can remember (Keetongu's disappearance, in one case).It'd be interesting to know if this particular expression stems from the Great Beings, if they used similar terms to describe their "eras".

Guest Takua the Chronicler7

I think it means the time before the current time in the Bionicle universe. I know this is not canon, but I watched the 4-minute retrospective video and the narrator, at the beginning, said:"In the time before time, six canisters washed ashore", referring to the Toa Mata.

Guest CharlemagneXVI

The phrase "time before time" stopped being used in 2006. This could mean that everything before the Matoran's return to Metru Nui was a flashback/story by the Turaga, and that everything after 2005 is the "present".

A part of me wonders if it could literally mean the time before the creation of the Mask of Time, at which point the status quo in Metru Nui was forever altered, and Makuta's plan to put Mata Nui to sleep was put into action. However, it's more likely to simply mean "the time before what the Matoran of Mata Nui remembered," or in a sense, prehistory.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think it's fairly clear that the "time before time" refers somewhat nebulously to the period before any written historical records, whenever that is for the person speaking. For the Matoran of Mata Nui, the "time before time" was the period before the Great Cataclysm, since as far as they knew (and as far as the Turaga would tell them) the only record of what had transpired before they arrived on the island was the oral tradition of the Legend of Mata Nui. For those living on Metru Nui, it was some time far earlier. So as Lyi says, just a more flowery way of saying "prehistory".

According to BS01, Keetongu hid on Metru Nui after his people were wiped out by Visorak. That was '1300 years ago', so around 300 BGC. That's definitely not prehistory. But since only rumors were known about him, those rumors could be twisted into legends of him being seen long ago.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

• 3 weeks later...

I believed the "Time Before Time" actually means before the reformation of Spherus Magna & Turage Vakama is telling the story of Bionicle to the Glatorian and Agori. This means the Lego Movie Trilogy is not him telling the Matoran and Toa, but those they have decided to live together with on their "Island Paradise."

I think it initially was used to mean the time before the Great Cataclysm, but later on was used to describe the period before Mata Nui was first awakened. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) in the second film, Vakama once talked about the events of the film as happening in the time before time.

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all."
- Tahu

I always thought it was "time before humans existed." Our time. But since Bionicle has nothing to do with humans as confirmed by Greg, not.

Probably more logically, it means "time before we knew time existed." It would refer to the time before the Matoran attained sapience.

Pre-mindwipe I think it referred to before the MU was created/completed, as Keetongu could very well have been placed there from the very beginning, and there would have been no recorded history prior to that point. Post-mindwipe, on Mata Nui, the Turaga used it to mean pre-mindwipe times to the same effect, as the Matoran had no memory of their lives on Metru Nui. So basically, "The time before time" means "Before any history we know of".

aouROFb.png

Pretty sure it was pre-MU. "The Great Spirit descended from the heavens..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

That happened 1,000 years ago, not 100,000. 100,000 is the MU beginning.

But that begs a question too, does that mean the matoran of Voya-Nui were living on the surface of Mata-Nui while they were in space?

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Pretty sure it was pre-MU. "The Great Spirit descended from the heavens..." Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

That happened 1,000 years ago, not 100,000. 100,000 is the MU beginning. But that begs a question too, does that mean the matoran of Voya-Nui were living on the surface of Mata-Nui while they were in space?
The Great Spirit is the MU. So 100,000 years is correct. And about your question, Voya Nui was not on the surface, it was floating on Aqua Magna, with water between them. And that's not really "in space". Aqua Magna is in space, but technically Spherus Magna and the MU (after it was launched) were always in space.

So the MU had its own atmosphere while in space?

Im referring to when Mata-Nui was floating in space before he dropped

Yes, it did.

I am more willing to believe the descension of Mata-Nui was the time before time though, since that's as far as the matoran knew.

Yes, for the Mata Nui Matoran who lost their memories, anyway.