• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

XML Code

Q&A Confusion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,541 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2013 - 11:30 PM

Okay, I looked for the answer for it in the Q&A Compendium but I can't find it. So I was wondering what this code does. It's the only code that I don't understand, unlike the rest of them. So if you know what it does, it be a great help for me.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#2 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,066 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jan 23 2013 - 06:40 AM

XML is one of the most useful coding languages in application and web development, in my opinion. Though it is often used most significantly for RSS feeds (like BZPower's), it can be used for many other things. Though it is similar to HTML, XML is designed to carry data across web pages—not to display it. Also, XML tags are not predefined, so you need to define your own tags when coding in XML. More or less, the one thing most people don't understand about XML is that it pretty much does absolutely nothing. All it does is store, carry, and transport information. Nothing XML will ever be visible on a web page, and it won't do anything beyond its sole purpose. That sole purpose is what makes it helpful in application development though, but you will still need your basic coding languages: HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

XAML is much like XML as well, but used exclusively for applications. XHTML is also much like HTML, but more or less just extends the  capabilities of normal Hypertext Markup.

If you would like to learn XML, I recommend you use this tutorial.

Edited by Meiko, Jan 23 2013 - 02:17 PM.

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#3 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Book Badger

• 1,042 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jan 23 2013 - 07:14 PM

Meiko's done a better job of explaining what XML is than I could. :P

BZP's XML tag is used to display XML code with proper coloring for the syntax.  A quick example I scrounged up from Google:

<!-- Example-->

<note>

<to>Tove</to>

<from>Jani</from>

<heading>Reminder</heading>

<body>Don't forget me this weekend!</body>

</note>

Realistically speaking, you probably won't find much use for the tag on BZP -  I think it's just a default IPB tag.

#4 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Literally Kagome

• 5,521 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jan 23 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies! Yes, despite its inclusion in the special BBCode list, it's not something you have to worry about. I do believe, however, that the answers above are sufficient for those with curious minds.

Question answered, topic closed!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users