XML Code

Makuta of Time

XML is one of the most useful coding languages in application and web development, in my opinion. Though it is often used most significantly for RSS feeds (like BZPower's), it can be used for many other things. Though it is similar to HTML, XML is designed to carry data across web pages—not to display it. Also, XML tags are not predefined, so you need to define your own tags when coding in XML. More or less, the one thing most people don't understand about XML is that it pretty much does absolutely nothing. All it does is store, carry, and transport information. Nothing XML will ever be visible on a web page, and it won't do anything beyond its sole purpose. That sole purpose is what makes it helpful in application development though, but you will still need your basic coding languages: HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

XAML is much like XML as well, but used exclusively for applications. XHTML is also much like HTML, but more or less just extends the capabilities of normal Hypertext Markup.

If you would like to learn XML, I recommend you use this tutorial.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Meiko's done a better job of explaining what XML is than I could. :P

BZP's XML tag is used to display XML code with proper coloring for the syntax. A quick example I scrounged up from Google:

<!-- Example-->
<note>
<to>Tove</to>
<from>Jani</from>
<heading>Reminder</heading>
<body>Don't forget me this weekend!</body>
</note>

Realistically speaking, you probably won't find much use for the tag on BZP - I think it's just a default IPB tag.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42