Onua Mistika

Crunchyn

I drew Onua Mistika before, wasn't quite happy with it [it's that darn mask!]

Actually when I was starting over here with the mask design, I do understand why and how they chose that design for a functional aerodynamic feel. This is a new one I decide to do, mostly changing some aspects of the Mistika design. I knew that I wanted Onua to be the heavy gunner type of the Toa, so I gave him a BIG GUN :D and made him more of a support Toa hence the hovering. I played with the idea of adding gyros to the gun as well as a stabilization gimmick [hey carrying big guns all the time is tiring!] though it probably wouldn't work in real life as it would mess with the whole firing from the hip aspect :P That officially finishes off my list of Mistika drawings [Tahu, Gali, Onua DONE!]

onuamistika2.png_thumb.jpg

LINK

Prismacolor Cool Grey Markers, PITT pens, while gel pen on grey paper

Previous Drawing of Onua Mistika

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I like this. Like, a lot. The mask design, did you change it? It looks like the Onua Mistika we know but better, more nostalgic. That I like. You're a fantastic artist, and I think you should keep drawing stuff like this. Throwing your own spin on old favorites, because from what I see here, you're sure to impress.

- Gideon

Thanks! What I did in designing was that that I started with the standard Pakari [i've forgotten about the Nuva version and just realized that after I uploaded the art] and I tried to alter it from there to see how I can make the mask look more aerodynamic. The Pakari is pretty flat originally and when trying to alter the angle of the front, I think that's how the original Mistika mask was designed as well from my own opinion. That's why I love doing redesigns, it makes me think how and why the sets were designed the way they were.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Very, very cool. I particularly like the mask redesign, and your coloring style is great as always.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Impressive. Though it's easy to miss, you captured his mask quite well, no easy feat. Although, I was expecting a full-body view like you did with the others, so that you could show the leg rockets. But I suppose that you wanted to mix it up with Onua, since you gave leg rockets to Gali. Now if only we could get the Phantoka...

Edited by Jovan2

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

Impressive. Though it's easy to miss, you captured his mask quite well, no easy feat. Although, I was expecting a full-body view like you did with the others, so that you could show the leg rockets. But I suppose that you wanted to mix it up with Onua, since you gave leg rockets to Gali. Now if only we could get the Phantka...

I don't know if I want to do the Phantoka, I actually do like their designs, well... except for Pohatu. And I'd imagined their roles to be the same as I thought the Mistika would be: Tahu/Lewa are the close-quarters, Pohatu/Onua are the Heavies, and Kopaka/Gali are the long-range support.

Right now I'm starting back school taking a 3D modeling course, but I think next on my list would be the Federation of Fear, or a Drew Struzan-inspired poster.

I actually clicked on this website's URL by accident. Don't get on anymore. I'm glad i did click. Found this topic randomly. I've always loved the Olda masks. Glad to see you utilized it in this piece of art. Like you said, aerodynamics. Heh. You'd think that a returning to their original characters, Lego would have used more similar characteristics to the original style.

Edited by ~Takumo~

Remembering the OACP. 

Back in my day, we created amazing wondrous fictions within the Bionicle Universe.

Really, really nice work here.

There's so much I could say, but I'm not sure where to begin...

Well, first off is Onua himself. The way you adapt the set form into something much more believable is quite amazing. The alterations of the Pakari was executed very well, a smooth combination of the Adaptive-Armor and normal Great version that works quite well for the rest of his design. His armor itself is streamlined, but really keeps that sort of "high-tech" feel that the Mistika sets had. The inclusion of propellers (or perhaps levitation disks? :P ) was a nice touch, seeing as his little leg-jets never seemed like enough to lift the guy into the air.

The only "negative" thing that I can see is that his shield is a bit... small. But then again, his gigantic gun compensates for that a bit, huh? xP

Coloring is simply superb, excellent highlighting on the piece as whole. His pose seems natural, somewhat relaxed and “I've got a bit gun”-ish. Love that.

I'd probably just start repeating myself if I went on for any longer. Amazing art (again!) CrunchbiteNuva.

Approximately how long did it take you to create this awesome thing?

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Really, really nice work here.

There's so much I could say, but I'm not sure where to begin...

Well, first off is Onua himself. The way you adapt the set form into something much more believable is quite amazing. The alterations of the Pakari was executed very well, a smooth combination of the Adaptive-Armor and normal Great version that works quite well for the rest of his design. His armor itself is streamlined, but really keeps that sort of "high-tech" feel that the Mistika sets had. The inclusion of propellers (or perhaps levitation disks? :P ) was a nice touch, seeing as his little leg-jets never seemed like enough to lift the guy into the air.

The only "negative" thing that I can see is that his shield is a bit... small. But then again, his gigantic gun compensates for that a bit, huh? xP

Coloring is simply superb, excellent highlighting on the piece as whole. His pose seems natural, somewhat relaxed and “I've got a bit gun”-ish. Love that.

I'd probably just start repeating myself if I went on for any longer. Amazing art (again!) CrunchbiteNuva.

Approximately how long did it take you to create this awesome thing?

I worked on and off for a week or so but I probably spent around 3 hours total. I think I have to agree with you on the size of his shoulder shield, now that I look at it, it's the same size as a standard Inika shoulder. I wasn't thinking of Leviation disks!!! OH MAN, that's something I should have considered! The concept sounds so epic and it would be a nice throwback to the good ol' Metru days *nostalgia trip* especially how they made Vakama's disk launcher into a jetpack eghhhh you just gave me the best idea ever, I wish I had heard it sooner Thanks for the review! :D

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

I worked on and off for a week or so but I probably spent around 3 hours total. I think I have to agree with you on the size of his shoulder shield, now that I look at it, it's the same size as a standard Inika shoulder. I wasn't thinking of Leviation disks!!! OH MAN, that's something I should have considered! The concept sounds so epic and it would be a nice throwback to the good ol' Metru days *nostalgia trip* especially how they made Vakama's disk launcher into a jetpack eghhhh you just gave me the best idea ever, I wish I had heard it sooner Thanks for the review! :D

Haha, no problem. The Leviation Disks was something that just kinda clicked for me, a sort of "Oh, that's neat." moment. ;)

I still can't get over the armor design, really reminds me of some kind of high-tech jet plane or something of the like. You've really got something good here, kudos to you.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -