Legend of Zelda Topic

MetaStriker

And Nintendo released this:

zelda-wind-waker-hd-wii-u-pic-2.jpg

This is your opportunity to discuss The Legend of Zelda video game series, including WWHD, the unnamed LoZ game for the Wii U (what do you want from it? what are your views on the released news?), Hyrule Historia, the older games, and what else you want in the future(MM remake anyone?)

How about starting with the picture above? Personally, I am very happy they are releasing a remake to The Wind Waker, especially because I never got to play it on the GCN. It doesn't look too cel-shaded though...but hey, at least it's not Link's Epic Yarn!

~LTT~

Edited by Makaru
The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I'm as interested in Wind Waker HD as much as I am in the all-new Zelda game. "Rethinking" the very structure of Zelda games is VERY intriguing. However, I still want to play Wind Waker HD when it comes out, as it would give me the opportunity to play it since I didn't play the original version. I have been a Legend of Zelda fan for a long time, and I doubt any of the games will disappoint me for a long time.

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Having missed out on Wind Waker, I'm eager to play Wind Waker HD. I know some people are up in arms about them changing the art style slightly, but I think both styles have their merits. And meanwhile, Wind Waker is my main barrier to entry on the DS Zelda games.

The upcoming Zelda game sounds interesting, too. It seems it'll be less a reinvention than a return to form; namely, a return to the more open, less structured, less guided adventure that the original Legend of Zelda contained. I'm a fan of both approaches, but it will be interesting to see how this approach translates to a totally modern game.

I also picked up Hyrule Historia last week, and it gives an interesting perspective into the development of the games. Sadly, it focuses more on the more recent games; I don't know whether that's due more to the larger modern games requiring grander and more fleshed-out concepts, some of the original art for the earlier games being lost or destroyed, or an emphasis on games which are currently for sale in order to move more product, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were some combination of the three.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't have Hyrule Historia yet, but I plan to get it one day or another.

I'm not sure if I like the nonlinear idea, actually. Perhaps it's because I only got into Zelda in Fall 2012. I do think TP was way too linear, whereas SS was a little more open with the Song of the Hero quest. I wish they'd done the hunt for the Sacred Flames this way as well, which makes me wonder if I really would like a nonlinear game.

I'm kinda bummed that I can't find WW even in Gamestop, and on Amazon it's over $100. I do want WW HD, although not so I can play the DS games (I haven't seen these around either). I also want OoT 3D, should I get this or not?

~LTT~

Ocarina of Time 3D. Seriously. THAT should be your next purchase. I've played the GameCube version and it's amazing. Only two reasons I don't own it: (1) sibling has a copy I can play, and (2) I don't have a 3DS. I am, however, currently saving up for one.P.S., I don't know about your GameStop, but the one where I live no longer carries older games(sucks, it does), and if your's is the same; that's probably why you can't find copies of those games. Try Play N Trade.

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

Oh no, it does carry old games, just very little of them. Trust me, if I do find it in a GameStop, I'm not giving up that chance :P. Of course, I'd still get WWHD, just to get a taste of what the next Zelda will be.

And I'll probably end up getting OoT 3D, although my cousin does have the LoZ Collector's Edition on GCN, I doubt he'll let me have it (he doesn't even like Zelda!). I've never played OoT on the N64 (5 min. trial on SSBB, and I loved it) so I really want this.

Haven't played MM either, do you think that'll come out for the Wii U or 3DS?

~LTT~

It is rumored that there'll be a Majora's Mask on the 3DS, but nothing official. I sure hope it happens though, because I have yet to play the original, and since I'm already saving up for a 3DS, being able to get Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask right off the bat sounds very appealing.On a side note, Wind Waker HD will be pretty much the same as the GameCube version, albeit it's HD. So you won't be getting any hints on the upcoming Zelda game's gameplay.

metroid.gif

I'd like to get OoT 3D, but I'm still only halfway through OoT (okay, a little more than halfway, last thing I did was beat the water tempke) on the VC, and I'd like to get the original N64 cartridge first. And I've had MM on N64 for over a year, still haven't beaten the first dungeon... I never have enough time to actually get there , and I don't like how the only way to save (besides owl statues) is by going back to the beginning of the first day, and losing all of your rupees/ammo...

I'd like to get OoT 3D, but I'm still only halfway through OoT (okay, a little more than halfway, last thing I did was beat the water tempke) on the VC, and I'd like to get the original N64 cartridge first. And I've had MM on N64 for over a year, still haven't beaten the first dungeon... I never have enough time to actually get there , and I don't like how the only way to save (besides owl statues) is by going back to the beginning of the first day, and losing all of your rupees/ammo...

You know about the playing the song of time backwards doubles (Or something like that) the time you have, right? Also, if your at the first dungeon, then you have the song of soaring, which you can use to warp to the nearest owl statue. Although yeah, backtracking can be annoying. It took me a while to get into it too, but once I did, man, was I hooked. OoT3D is amazing. It's one of my favorite 3DS games (Not many 3DS games out but still)

@Link: I say you should wait on Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, for remakes. Now I'm not 100% sure on the MM remake, but I feel pretty sure Nintendo will get to it eventually. SS felt pretty linear to me, actually.. You had to do the flames in a certain order, right? The new non-linearity I have no problem with, but I'm worried about difficulty. Usually a game starts out with easier difficulty and ranks up to hard, yeah? So they'll have to balance it out, hopefully tipping onto the harder side.

Anyways, you should get OoT3D. The graphics are pretty good, I'm a new enough Zelda fan that I've never played the original (Or GCN) version of OoT, but OoT3D was definitely worth the $40. Wind Waker is really awesome, but I think it'd be worth the wait for WWHD. I'd satisfy yourself with OoT3D if you really want a Zelda game.

Anyways I'm a huge Zelda fan if it's not obvious enough already. :P

I've played through most of the games, but I've been pretty slow on the GBC top-right games, and I'm working through A link to the past, I'm kind of stuck, but I think I just needed a little break. I hope to get back to it soon, but IDK. I've played Minish Cap, it's my favorite non-3D Zelda game. Capcom did an amazing job on it, it's a little short, but it's all fun. I also got Hyrule Historia recently and finished reading it a couple days ago, that was a pretty good book, though the Skyward Sword stuff was a little dull, having played through the whole game and not learning much as a whole. I really enjoyed the concept art from the older games and the manga in the back, though. And the history was interesting to read.

I'm pretty sure playing through A Link to the Past will change your mind about your favorite top-down Legend of Zelda game. I love Minish Cap, but A Link to the Past is just that good, in my opinion.Also, I'm sure you'll enjoy the GBC games, good thing you're already playing them. The interchangability of the Oracle games was great. Overall they're not the best Zelda games; but they're still great.

metroid.gif

I just can't seem to get into the Oracle games, I got into Link's Awakening for a while, I think I'm stuck at the Eagle's Tower or whatever though. Whatever the second-last dungeon is, I think. I can't remember because I keep losing interest and coming back but keep getting discouraged.

Just because I'll say this:

Oracle games Original GBC

A link to the past - Wii Virtual Console

Link's Awakening - 3DS Virtual Console

Minish Cap - Original GBA

I'm not sure why I like Minish Cap so much.

Do you guys think they'll add the "missing dungeons" into the WW remake? I don't think so, but I'd love to see it happen. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda, but it needed more dungeons.

I would also like to see them change the triforce quest, but not take it out completely.

I'm a dinosaur! Rawr.

Do you guys think they'll add the "missing dungeons" into the WW remake? I don't think so, but I'd love to see it happen. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda, but it needed more dungeons.

I would also like to see them change the triforce quest, but not take it out completely.

Nintendo has tended in the past to take on remakes somewhat conservatively, not changing much except the graphics and minor gameplay tweaks (like the removal of crippling glitches, or the streamlining of difficult segments). Whether they add content or not doesn't especially matter to me, since I never played the original Wind Waker and thus it'll all be new to me either way.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, I don't think they'll change much. It'll be my first time playing WW, and I want to play the real game, not a revised version.Here's a thought to think about though...Do you think that a remake of TP (the first Zelda game I ever played) or any other "new" game will be rereleased for its tenth or higher anniversary? Nintendo did OoT for its 13th, WW for its 10th so far. Which game do you want remade (2D or 3D, so the original TLoZ is an option)?I personally want a remake of MM, because I've never played it and it looks cool (I've played TP, which has a similar dark tone to it). ALTTP remake sounds cool too; it seems to be the most famous out of the first four games. ~LTT~

Yes, I'm in complete agreement with that last statement. I just loved A Link to the Past(it was actually the first LoZ game I played), and a remake(be it 2D or 3D; top-down or third person) would be great, as long as the story remained the same. I wouldn't mind a few extra details, but I want it to stay at least ALMOST exact, story-wise. It would be great.:)

metroid.gif