Magic: the Gathering

With Gatecrash just released a few days ago, anyone here play MtG?

I have a 60 card Selesnya deck focused on making indestructible Knights and 8/8 tokens like crazy. Also have a Myr deck that can make infinite mana loops, and create a billion 4/4 Myr creatures.

Just recently bought a box of Gatecrash with my fiance. I got quite a bit of foils, and got a Domri Rade.

Post your decks and any stories or cool pulls.

Flies.

vft.png

Om Nom Nom.

Yes! Yes!! Yeeeessssss!!!!!!!! A Magic the Gathering topic!!!! (can't believe I didn't do this already...)I play, have entered multiple tournaments(Gamaday tournaments mostly, and 1 prerelease event, nothing higher tier or FNM mainly because FNM starts 6:00 at my local card store, so [because of my age] I can't stay out that long; and I have a relatively low budget, keeping me restricted as to what decks I've built.I've also attempted to run a standard Myr deck before, utilizing the Myr Galvanizer/Palladium Myr combo to play, equip, and kill every opponent one after the other with a Heavy Arbalest. I also used Heartless Summoning and Myr Superion.As for stories of amazing pulls, I honestly have never had any good luck when it comes to money rares and Mythics, but back on Friday a friend of mine pulled the Orzhov shockland(can't recall it's name), and a FOIL Domri Rade!!(which he proceeded to trade in for [roughly] $26 and bought another deck, and pulled pulled ANOTHER shockland. He then traded that in[bad idea IMO] and bought a THIRD deck, this time without any really great pulls, but still that was pretty cool.)

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

I played back in Junior high and High school, then again between a year or two ago. I still enjoy the game, but I can't afford to buy new decks.

I tend to like cards that cost very little to play.

My favorite deck is a Black/Green agro deck made up of mostly 1 cost cards and cheap infect creatures. It's designed with a turn 2-4 victory in mind. If I don't win by then I'll probably lose.

I've also got a greatt deck using Questt for the Holy relic and some 0 cost creatures. I can't necessarily win on turn one, but with the right opening hand I can't lose.

My burn deck uses Pyromancer's Ascention, Iscocron Scepter and Chandra to abuse red cards costing 1-2 mana.

For multiplayer I have a few decks, but the one I really like is my grave pact deck.

I'm working on a new multiplayer deck to abuse Urza's Armor which prevents me from taking any damage from last laugh. I build a bunch of tokens, then kill one off. Last laugh clears the board and kills off every player except me thanks to Urza's Armor. Quite possibly the best idea I've ever had, assuming I can find a way to quickly generate the necessary tokens.

Is it strange to be annoyed that other people are using my color?

Y'all know who you are.

califlag.png

Isn't Last Laugh an Unhinged/Unglued card?

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

Yay, an MTG topic! I haven't joined any competitions, not even FNM, and my DCI number had some issues with it so...

So yes. I'm a noob, seeing as my player group is extremely, utterly, small, and my deck lists consists of one Mid-Range Aggro deck, one compltely Aggro deck and one deck who requires lots of ramp for 8/8 creatures.

Hey, who told you Aggro and Midrange decks were bad? They're great; you just have to build them right.Same with a Ramp deck. Actually, it's that way for all of Magic, that's one of the best things about MtG; nothing is truly BAD, you just have to know how to build/use it.

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

That sounds really fun.:)I'd say I'm pretty lucky as well, considering all 5 of my siblings are Planeswalkers themselves. That and I like to bike or walk a half of a mile or so down to my local card shop.You know, I still can't shake the feeling when I run into a new player that they'll think I'm some noob because of my age. But I've actually been playing for a good 5 1/2 years. Shadowmoor had just come out, but I actually learned to play with Tenth Edition and...Invasion. Why? Mainly because my older brother got his cards from friends who didn't want to play anymore, so his collection was quite varied. But because of that I did get a good feeling of nostalgia when I saw Multani again on M13's printing of Rancor. It's nice to see that they'll keep older artwork like that.:)

metroid.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I play this sometimes. my friend really likes commander and I decided to make a deck based off Chainer- Dementia Master. Since I mostly proxies as there is no reason not to because of where I live everyone is okay with that since it's only for fun.

Gamers rise up, not down

Sometimes, after my brother and I get back from Magic: The Gathering (We go to Cobblestone Hobbies and Crafts for MtG, btw), he would ask me if I would have a match with him. I'm not an expert, but I'm getting used to playing the game. My bro taught me how to play it, and I'm getting better at it. Btw, what's up, everybody? I'm Kyla, Toa of Peace, and it feels great to finally be here on Bzpower! XD

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else hoping for a possible return to good ol' Dominaria? I mean, we still have no idea about what's happened since the Mending. If they keep up the pattern of every-other block being a "Return" set, after the next block, they should be making a heading for the Song of Dominia. It would be great, nice and balanced. I just hope it doesn't turn out like an extra-large Core Set, though - That would be disappointing.

metroid.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Nope, you're not alone there. But, I currently can't afford the prerelease, which sucks. Really. That doesn't mean I can't get boosters, though, so I've got a shot at that Planeswalker-from-my-favorite-guild.

metroid.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Say, what decks/guilds does everyone use?

I use Simic, Gruul and an Ally Red.

I've been a huge fan of Magic for about three years now, and at lunch in school I have about six people who play and we constantly fight each other.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

• 2 weeks later...

My guild is also Izzet. I've actually been building red/blue for a while now, and that really got me excited when RtR was finally announced.

metroid.gif

Well, I have joined the majority of people on here who use Izzet. Just got the Izzet vs. Golgari duel decks, and I found out that the Golgari is a Dredge deck, not a Scavenge. The Dredge mechanic seems like it needs some skill/get used to to play it well, so any tips on how to play it?

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

Don't play dredge myself, so I can't help you there, but the reason it's not a Scavenge deck is because it was released before Return to Ravnica came out. The only reason it had cards from RtR was because it had 8-12 preview cards. I split the decks with my brother a while back(I got Izzet, which is why I'm not used to playing dredge).

metroid.gif

I love watching people play Magic, even though I can't afford a collection of my own (no, seriously, trust me...my LEGO addiction is expensive enough :P ). I've tried playing once or twice, but never had time for a full game. For me, though, there's a joy in watching that's different and, for me, more fulfilling than the actual act of playing. That's just me, though.

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

(You like seeing people utterly destroyed, don't you...?)You know, if you want to get started(even if you don't plan on spending much), check you're local card store and ask if they have any free half decks; most card stores that carry them will hand them out for free, but only to new players. And if you decide to get some, you could just get an Intro Pack. They're only $15 and you get a full deck(normally 2 colours) a rule book & 2 Booster Packs. It's a great start, and, if you're just playing casual with some friends, it's not that weak. Just don't expect it to fair too well against competitive-level decks.

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

I know why it is not RtR, but I was surprised at first.

Alternatively to buying a cheap deck, you can get Duels of the Planeswalkers. I'm pretty sure it has at least one free deck and the method of play is nearly identical to normal, real gameplay. Its available on Steam for the PC and the App Store for the iPad, the app itself is free.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! A stable M:tG topic.

Let's see here... I specialize in green, I love artifact decks (I've got a green-white deck that focuses on indestructible). My primary deck is a red-green Eldrazi (Yes, I know, nobody likes Eldrazi/they are too overpowered blah blah blah) deck that is really good at generating lots of Eldrazi spawn tokens (it even has an infinite token combo: 2X Parallel Lives, and Spawnsire Of Ulamog), which, when coupled with Raid Bombardment, showers my opponents with unblockable damage. I have plans for a deck that uses Mimic Vat, Perilous Myr, Mortarpod, and a few other cards to do much the same thing. I am a member of the Izzet Guild, and I have a red-blue counter-burn deck centered around.

I hope to learn about more hilarious combos in this topic.

I once played a lifestacking deck that spawned creature that had the attack/defense equal to the amount of life the player had. When the opposing player reached 300 health, I was told by the throng of spectators I should quit before I lost.

I won the game via unblockable (Blighted Agents? I know they're blue, and from the New Phyrexia set. I haven't gone through my cards in awhile, so I can't recall the name...) infect creatures.

It was a tri-colour (Blue, black, white) lifestack/creaturespawn vs. a Multicolour (including colourless artifacts and artifact creatures) Phyrexian deck.

To-date, it was the most interesting game I've played, and my single victory against the best player that I know.

Nice. My best win was with my Counter-Burn deck, versus an artifact deck with board sweepers.

I won by playing a Psychosis Crawler and using unblockable (via Distortion Strike) creatures like Surrakar Spellblade to draw cards and deal damage, then dealing damage because I drew cards.

I'm usually the first to go when I play my Eldrazi deck, because everyone turns on me when I play it, ever since they let me keep to myself until I built up my forces and stomped on everyone. That was a fun game...

Hmm... Good/funny combos? I do have one.

It was a 3v3 match. Blue/Black Artifact/Nicol Bolas's deck from the Ajani vs. Bolas Duel Decks/My Dredge Golgari against Extort Orzhov/Scavenge Golgari/One deck I can't remember. Life started at sixty.

The Orzhov deck made it so that at one point, we had a twenty or so life disadvantage.

The guy with the Nicol Bolas deck had out two H*llfire Mongrels. I had a Sadistic Hypnotist out. I started to sacrifice stuff to activate it's ability, and we actually won through the damage H*llfire Mongrel did.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?