• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Legendary Platinum Avohkii Shines On Ebay

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 16-July 01
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 05 2013 - 11:38 PM

Though the Buy It Now price on the Ebay listing is equal to that of quite a nice car, the long desired object at last has an owner who is interested in selling. Some hope should be gleaned from the purposefully included "Make Offer" button. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and as always with such a valuable item; buyer beware.http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=5947]View the full article[/url]

#2 Online TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 06-April 10
  • 1,710 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 06:36 AM

29,000 bucks for a Lego piece.

I can't think of a better way to waste money.

soundtracks.jpg

#3 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 06:38 AM

Let's see... college, or LEGO. I choose college, sorry. Interesting to see if somebody does buy it though.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick
LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset
Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#4 Offline Cadper

Cadper
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 05-September 09
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, okay. Let me just go sell a kidney, my spleens, my right knee, and one and a half of my lungs. I'll be sure to buy it right after.

#5 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • World's Only Gnomish Hylian

• 28-January 10
  • 1,281 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:07 AM

Most expensive Lego piece ever.  For real.  I'll have to watch this.  It looks like the price is a bit more than most of the fans who would really appriciate is could offer, plus you have to meet him in California.  It's still nice to see it available, though.

Posted Image

#6 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 31-July 05
  • 11,164 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:57 AM

[color=#990000;]As awesome as it must be to own it, you have to be crazy to spend that amount on a mask. And with all due respect, but demanding that high of a price is quite impertinent in my opinion.[color=#000080;]-Gata Posted Image[/color][/color]

Edited by Gatanui, Feb 06 2013 - 09:01 AM.

- Gata signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

#7 Offline Kumata

Kumata
  • Premier Member
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 26-April 03
  • 3,837 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 09:17 AM

It doesn't even look that nice. I prefer my nice smooth plastic surface to a rough metal one.

#8 Offline King of Dust

King of Dust
  • Premier Member
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 28-June 12
  • 1,380 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 10:03 AM

THE CONTEST WAS TO PROMOTE THE NEWLY RELEASED MOVIE "PLATINUM MASK OF LIGHT".

MOVIE "PLATINUM MASK OF LIGHT".

"PLATINUM MASK OF LIGHT"

lulwhut?

#9 Offline Angel Beat

Angel Beat
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 02-April 03
  • 4,665 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 10:32 AM

Ah, USA only it seems.

...Not that I have that kind of money to start with, nor would I spend it on a LEGO piece. :P

~Everybody wants to rule the world.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

tailgunner001.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

#10 Offline The Renegade Emperor

The Renegade Emperor
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 08-December 10
  • 515 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 11:10 AM

Dear lord... There goes my faith in humanity...

Seriously, how would someone want to throw away 29,000 dollars for some rare piece? It's unconcievable, IMO. It may just be me, though.

I think this is an offense to those who struggle evry day to get food to their houses.

Incredible. Just incredible.

halo4-spartans.jpg

#11 Offline Kohaku

Kohaku
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Record-Setting Speed Builder & Senior Staff

• 17-May 03
  • 2,416 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 11:18 AM

Seeing as there was only one made I would expect there to be some sort of certificate of authenticity. This seems really fishy to me.

tl;dr

SEEMS PERFECTLY LEGIT

Posted Image

#12 Offline Eeko

Eeko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 31-August 08
  • 4,288 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 11:45 AM

[color=#991111;]Oh man, I'm so glad I have 29,000 dollers lying on my desk over there.I'll get right on that.[/color]

jlovfkk.jpg

#13 Offline I Am A Walrus

I Am A Walrus
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 09-April 10
  • 5,552 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 12:21 PM

Even with the price of this mask being so high, I bet someone will still buy it. Just watch. It won't be me of course, because I don't have a spare $29,000 lying around. But someone will probably buy it.

What's up? I'm a Walrus now. B-)

Check out my Bionicle short stories The Agori and A Skakdi Horror Story.

Also check out my comedy series Adventures of the Bara Magna Sets!

#14 Offline Sular

Sular
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 13-October 07
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just if I had the money, then again, probably better ways to use it.

I'm pretty sure someone will buy it, though.

Xvyt26j.gif}
Toa Sanic Inika, Toa of Fast

#15 Offline Tomaku

Tomaku
  • Members
  • Toa

• 14-October 11
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 02:20 PM

I think 29000$ for that mask is too CHEAP, to me it is worth much more than that.

#16 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 11-January 07
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 02:22 PM

All I can say is Want

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickstein 11.gif

Even when things look there worst. And the shadow of evil is upon us. Remember that as long as we hope for the best. Light will appear and overcome the darkness.

Please check out my projects on Lego Ideas.9.gif
https://ideas.lego.c...kstein/projects

I'm looking for an Inkay or Malamar with its event move Happy Hour. Pm if you have one I can borrow to breed and pass the move down so I can have an Inkay with the move for myself.

Friend Code- 0216-0827-9119

#17 Offline The Dandy Automaton

The Dandy Automaton
  • Premier Member
  • FFM Bionicle Winner

• 26-March 07
  • 8,008 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 02:42 PM

There's way too much negativity in this thread. Were the seller able to ship it to the UK, I've no doubt I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But then, I am absolutely hopeless with money so who am I to talk?

But no, seriously. That's just silly. I love how they even added "Museum quality", as though that was enough to entice me. I mean, come on, what museum's going to display a hyped up bit of toy jewellery? 

shadowofthisredrock.png

Chapter four - Desire

Coming soon!

Short Stories: The Commute ~ Rasinov ~ In Your Absence ~ Hunter's Game ~ Suchia (Coming soon)

Epics: The Best Kept Secrets (Chapter 27: The Shadow Walker coming soon) ~ The Shadow of this Red Rock

#18 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 03:18 PM

Looking back at old BZPower posts, found one from the owner of this mask:

And to all those interested, I am considering selling it some time soon.

To be honest, $29000 may seem a bit high, but I went through the trouble to find the price of platinum. As I post this, platinum is worth 1732.00 USD/oz. Assuming the piece weighs ~11oz (just an estimate), the price on this is quite good—only a tad bit overpriced (around 30% inflated), but it is a collector's item.

Edited by Meiko, Feb 06 2013 - 03:19 PM.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#19 Offline Dual Cee

Dual Cee
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 22-October 12
  • 1,306 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 03:32 PM

He said himself the weight is 3 troy ounces, so converted to grams is 93 grams then multiply with 58 to know the full price for the platinum in USD wich is: 5394 $ So the super high price won't solely rely on the platinum itself.

I'm back!

#20 Offline Baron Von Nebula

Baron Von Nebula
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 25-July 08
  • 573 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 04:06 PM

Man, that's... a lot.  If no one buys it, the seller is crazy, if someone does, he's a great businessman :P

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!
The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."
-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

#21 Online Makuta Luroka

Makuta Luroka
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Co-President of the Oligarchy of MOPE

• 21-June 08
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 04:12 PM

Matrix, There is also the cost of manufacturing it, maintaining it, the original owner could've marked it up for profit, and the current seller could also have marked it up for profit. Material in the final product is not the only factor in determining its cost. Also, I agree with automaton that there is too much argument about the high price of the mask. The topic is that the mask is for sale, rather than its price.

--:m::a::k::u::t::a: :l::u::r::m_o::k::a:

card_newmat.png
biofighter_banner_platform.png
Read my epic, Hydranus' Log

#22 Guest_Takua the Chronicler7_*

Guest_Takua the Chronicler7_*
  • Guests
  • --

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 04:58 PM

How soon depends on some of the offers I'm still waiting on. I know it's a lot, but I wanted at least 4k for it.

Got from this article. I mean, $4000 and $29,000 is a big difference, he should of said "I wanted at least 25k for it"(just kidding).

I don't even have $29,000, even if I wanted it a lot.

I just can't believe this is on sale, though. I mean, if I won something VERY rare, I would keep it.

Edited by Takua the Chronicler7, Feb 07 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#23 Offline Pantera

Pantera
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 06-November 10
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 05:03 PM

O.K. guys, believe it or not, I have actually placed that latest bid on it. I agree it's quite the astounding price, but... it's a...

Platinum... Avohkii.

To dedicated Bionicle fans like us, this is like the Ark of the Covenant, or the Crystal Skulls, or... ya get it. :P----

Now that I have your attention, I was joking about my bid on the Avohkii. It would seem ridiculous for a person to bid the price of a car for this (and ridiculous for me to have the money XD).

Edited by Pantera, Feb 06 2013 - 05:15 PM.

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

#24 Offline Andrewnuva199

Andrewnuva199
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 16-March 03
  • 1,889 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm surprised the original winner was even willing to sell it.

And yeah, the price is a bit much. The original commercial the guy even linked to said it was only worth $7,000.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

#25 Offline -TD-

-TD-
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 19-July 06
  • 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 05:36 PM

If I had that much money, it would be way more well spent on a nice sportscar of some sort. That's just my opinion though, because it is a piece of Bionicle history after all!

- Tanma Dude

#26 Guest_sinewav_*

Guest_sinewav_*
  • Guests
  • --

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 06:09 PM

Never thought I'd see the day that a Bionicle mask would ever have that as an asking price. 

Don't get me wrong this is a very very cool find if true, just wow. 

#27 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 06:26 PM

He said himself the weight is 3 troy ounces, so converted to grams is 93 grams then multiply with 58 to know the full price for the platinum in USD wich is: 5394 $ So the super high price won't solely rely on the platinum itself.

Keep in mind its a one-of-a-kind mold in platinum, therefore being a collector's item. It's pretty much the same story as this—the car only would have cost around $25000-$35000 to make—yet it sold for 4.6 million dollars.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick

#28 Offline Baron Von Nebula

Baron Von Nebula
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 25-July 08
  • 573 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 07:18 PM

Keep in mind its a one-of-a-kind mold in platinum, therefore being a collector's item. It's pretty much the same story as this—the car only would have cost around $25000-$35000 to make—yet it sold for 4.6 million dollars.

Granted, not many besides fans of Bionicle would recognize the Avohkii, and I'm not sure how many of us have that much money laying around. :P

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!
The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."
-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

#29 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 07:42 PM

Granted, not many besides fans of Bionicle would recognize the Avohkii, and I'm not sure how many of us have that much money laying around. :P

I'm fairly certain we'll see people going for that. The biggest thing about only one in existence is that the person who has it can ask however much money they want, so there is always the strong chance of profit, since the person who buys it for $29000 will be able to sell it for $30000 if they want, then somebody will be able to buy it and sell it for $31000. Sure, as the price gets higher less people will be able to afford it, but there is almost always a person who will have both interest and money. Even people who aren't Bionicle fans who do some research (like most people involved in collecting things of value) will be the people to buy and resell at higher prices, because this kind of thing is what makes big bucks. Collectibles are good that way, especially when rare. ;)

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick

#30 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • World's Only Gnomish Hylian

• 28-January 10
  • 1,281 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just so long as we know where it is and it doesn't get melted down for the platinum, I'm happy.

Posted Image

#31 Offline Bfahome

Bfahome
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • DJ Kumo

• 01-February 08
  • 6,031 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:12 PM

Silly Fives, The Avohkii isn't a Legendary Kanohi.

Oh the hero comes I can hear the drums and the horses drawn to the kingdom come through the pale moonlight
Our hearts ignite to the call
bionicle_hero.png
Claim your prize for a crown of stars in the name of love be the sacrifice you and I will stand and fight
Our backs to the wall

#32 Offline Makuta Luroka

Makuta Luroka
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Co-President of the Oligarchy of MOPE

• 21-June 08
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:35 PM

You forget... this is the platinum avohkii.

--:m::a::k::u::t::a: :l::u::r::m_o::k::a:

card_newmat.png
biofighter_banner_platform.png
Read my epic, Hydranus' Log

#33 Offline ~garnira returns~

~garnira returns~
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 02-June 08
  • 839 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:58 PM

So... Does anyone have an extra 29,000 laying around, I might want to borrow it. :P

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

My website: http://arra41.wix.com/zaro-nui ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

#34 Online Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 10:06 PM

Guys, $29000 is the Buy it Now price. The actual amount this ends up (or doesn't end up) selling for will probably be much less. Most eBay BIN prices are grossly overinflated, and part of this is to encourage bidding.

#35 Offline ~Takava Nirhii~

~Takava Nirhii~
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 06-November 06
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 11:47 PM

This is crazy. I'd rather buy a nice car with that kind of money than blow it on an expensive collectible that I'd probably lose anyway, be it standard misplacing, massive house fire, freak teleportation accident, etc. :P

But seriously, I hope that whoever buys it is a big Bionicle fan with enough money to be able to afford it...if such a fan exists...

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

#36 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,801 posts

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 06:41 AM

This is crazy. I'd rather buy a nice car with that kind of money than blow it on an expensive collectible that I'd probably lose anyway, be it standard misplacing, massive house fire, freak teleportation accident, etc. :P But seriously, I hope that whoever buys it is a big Bionicle fan with enough money to be able to afford it...if such a fan exists...
You know, something of this sort is probably not that difficult to insure. Of course, that requires an additional investment on top of buying the thing in the first place, but if someone were to buy it with the intent of keeping it then that's par for the course.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#37 Offline Kumata

Kumata
  • Premier Member
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 26-April 03
  • 3,837 posts

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 08:48 AM

What would bug me if I owned this piece is that there are no other platinum Bionicle parts. So no matter what kind of MOC I made to wear it, it'd stick out. =(

#38 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 01-April 07
  • 3,088 posts

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 09:05 AM

This is crazy. I'd rather buy a nice car with that kind of money than blow it on an expensive collectible that I'd probably lose anyway, be it standard misplacing, massive house fire, freak teleportation accident, etc. :P

But seriously, I hope that whoever buys it is a big Bionicle fan with enough money to be able to afford it...if such a fan exists...

If you put it in a safe place like other collectibles should go, then you shouldn't have to worry about losing it. As for a house fire, unless the house is being burned in oil, I don't think there is a risk of the mask melting. Platinum's melting point is 3,215°F (1,768°C). And teleportation hopefully isn't a concern. Plus, like Aanchir said, it can be insured.

--
Meiko - @georgebarnick

#39 Offline Tomaku

Tomaku
  • Members
  • Toa

• 14-October 11
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 09:22 AM

What would bug me if I owned this piece is that there are no other platinum Bionicle parts. So no matter what kind of MOC I made to wear it, it'd stick out. =(

So you are saying that if you owned this platinum piece you would try to use it in a MOC?

#40 Offline Kumata

Kumata
  • Premier Member
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 26-April 03
  • 3,837 posts

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 12:13 PM

So you are saying that if you owned this platinum piece you would try to use it in a MOC?

Well yeah and I'd try to play with said MOC too. It's a construction toy right?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users