LEGO Cleans Up at Toy of the Year Awards

This morning the winners of the Toy Industry Association's 2013 Toy of the Year (TOTY) awards were announced. LEGO Friends won the overall Toy of the Year award, in addition to awards for Activity Toy of the Year and Girl Toy of the Year. LEGO Architecture won the TOTY for Specialty Toy of the Year. It's interesting to note than no other company won more than one award. You can read the full press release here. Congrats LEGO!http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=5953]View the full article[/url]

Congratulations LEGO! I have only one Friends set, and it's pretty cool—just as cool as a LEGO City set really. I also love LEGO Architecture though I haven't gotten all the sets from that line that I want (yet). :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait... FRIENDS won overall Toy of the Year?.. Oh my...(call me biased, I guess)
Why wouldn't it? It's a phenomenal theme. Lots of wonderful detail that you typically don't get in other LEGO themes, great, harmonious color schemes, diverse characters and play scenarios, and an overall positive message to both consumers and the toy industry at large ("girls can enjoy building toys just as much as boys can").To some companies, making toys for girls is a chore. For The LEGO Group, it was an opportunity to pack in lots of great design characteristics their core audience of your boys might not be as willing to pay extra for. The new Dolphin Cruiser set is a great example. It's very livable, with showers, beds, and a well-furnished living room. Likewise the new Heartlake High set has a café, lockers, two classrooms, and bathrooms. Generally in the past these were the kind of details you can only find in AFOL-oriented sets; certainly not details typical of the City theme.This year's LEGO Friends lineup shows that the theme isn't going to just stagnate and depict stereotypically "girly" activities like getting your hair done or cooking. It's got scenes including a karate dojo, a soccer field, a high school, and a stage for magic tricks... along with of course some tried-and-tested girls'-toy standards like a pet salon, a pool, and a yacht. It's also depicting more boy characters (previously it only had Olivia's dad; now there is are two new boys in the high school and Dolphin Cruiser) and several tasteful color schemes.This isn't regular LEGO painted pink, nor is it just a Polly Pocket toy broken up into a handful of different pieces-- it's a legitimate LEGO theme focusing on grounded, slice-of-life storytelling. And I think that fills a void in previous offerings much better than any other attempt at a girl-oriented theme (by LEGO or any other building toy brand) has done.