Toy Fair 2013: Friends, Games, and More

This year's Friends sets look fantastic. I find it hard to get excited by the board games until I know how they're played, and the Chima microfigs seem less impressive than the Ninjago ones from two years ago for some reason. Probably the fact that they represent generic tribe members instead of specific important characters.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

When I first saw the Helm's Deep game, I thought it was a new Heroica set. Then I noticed the Uruk-Hai. :no: Oh well, it looks like the board and figures will be easily integrated.

I think that it uses the same rules from Heroica too. Just look at the die. The only difference is the Ring tile. I will definitely pick it up, and probably the Batman one too, but I want to know how it plays before I commit to it.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

When I first saw the Helm's Deep game, I thought it was a new Heroica set. Then I noticed the Uruk-Hai. :no: Oh well, it looks like the board and figures will be easily integrated.

I think that it uses the same rules from Heroica too. Just look at the die. The only difference is the Ring tile. I will definitely pick it up, and probably the Batman one too, but I want to know how it plays before I commit to it.

It's very hard to judge what the level of enjoyment of the LEGO games will be before owning them. For instance, the Ninjago board game somewhat exceeded my expectations, but the collaborative (rather than competitive) nature of it cut into its replay value a bit, since there was a lot less uncertainty than there perhaps should have been.From what I hear the best LEGO games are generally the non-themed ones which focus on creative expression and a variety of challenges versus a very particular sort of gameplay. Creationary has a lot of replay value, as is to be expected of something that's more or less a Pictionary clone with LEGO bricks, and I imagine LEGO Champion is also pretty fun. With that said, I think the LEGO game from this year most likely to have lasting appeal is LEGO Story Mixer, though I don't entirely understand what its gameplay is like.The Legends of Chima game is quite clever in its design, but whether that carries over into its gameplay is hard to judge just from the board layout.This year's LEGO Friends stuff is stellar. The sets continue to be packed full of detail while exploring an ever-wider range of subjects. The Dolphin Cruiser and Heartlake High are my favorite sets-- naturally, since being the largest sets of the year they are able to pack in the most detail.

In my opinion, the Lego Games are more fun to build than play after a while. It depends on the game, because I have the Harry Potter one (it was pretty boring) but other games look more fun, especially the newer games (like the Hobbit and LOTR) look pretty cool to play (I googled it because the link still wasn't working).

This year's Friends sets look fantastic. I find it hard to get excited by the board games until I know how they're played, and the Chima microfigs seem less impressive than the Ninjago ones from two years ago for some reason. Probably the fact that they represent generic tribe members instead of specific important characters.

I like that about it... I really want to get the Chima game. The gameplay looks interesting, and the pieces are nice (as are most LEGO games sets).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.