• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Errors in the Comics

errors comics

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Watcher on the Walls

Watcher on the Walls
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 05:52 PM

I've noticed some (minor) errors in the comics/graphic novels and would like to share them. Most of you probably noticed, and could be done on purpose but I'll post them anyway as I found some funny. Just going to put them in spoiler tags if you hadn't seen the pics yet.

1. http://www.brickshel...bsdj/img007.jpg

Spoiler

2. http://www.brickshel...bsdj/img008.jpg

Spoiler

3. http://www.brickshel...bsdj/img009.jpg

Spoiler

4. http://www.brickshel...bsdj/img010.jpg

Spoiler

5. http://www.brickshel...bsdj/img011.jpg

Spoiler

#2 Offline Aiwendil

Aiwendil
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 630 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 06:04 PM

...Pahahahhah! number two is just too funny. Malums all like "hey guys, I got some cordak blasters that weren't supposed to be invented for a ANOTHER THOUSAND HUNDRED YEARS!!". 

76561198084895102.png

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong;
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

#3 Online Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,844 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 06:15 PM

Some of these I wouldn't class as errors so much as stylistic decisions. #3 is definitely an error, and arguably so is #4 (though there's no reason to automatically assume Bota Magna and Aqua Magna were round when they first split from Bara Magna; they could have changed in shape over time). However, in #1 Vakama's Huna simply appears to be stylized, #5 may have been a deliberate decision since fans who weren't around for the 2004 comics and sets might be more familiar with Dume's movie depiction, and #2 may just be because the artist was asked to use a projectile weapon and liked the Cordak Blaster's design (just looking identical doesn't at all mean it's supposed to be the same weapon; there are dozens of weapons in the BIONICLE sets and story that are identical to other unrelated weapons)."Inaccuracy" would be a better word than "error", since "error" implies something accidental/unintended. There are plenty of other inaccuracies in the comics, such as the Toa Metru not having the same eye colors as their set depictions and lacking chest plates (since they were based on prototypes). But the number of actual errors is much smaller.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#4 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,320 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 08:35 PM

• I would say this is just a simple case of artistic license.
  • It just looks like a Cordak- it actually isn't one.
  • This is actually an error.
  • Gravity turns random chunks of mass in space into spheres.
  • Dume looks more recognizable in his movie form.

Those are my explanations for the errors.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#5 Offline AdaptingChaos

AdaptingChaos
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 409 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 08:50 PM

1. I believe it just to stylize, as stated above.

2. I always wondered that when I saw the graphic novel! I always thought that the artist just made a mistake.

3. Maybe just to signify that the figure was Mata Nui?! 

4. I never really noticed that in the novel, nice find! But maybe once again it was a mistake, like stated above.

5. I guess that could also be a mistake.

r34TEbW.png

Youtube: Adapting Chaos    A.K.

#6 Offline ~The 1st Shadow~

~The 1st Shadow~
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,201 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2013 - 10:44 PM

Most of them are probably due to the artist not being familiar with some of the figures and concepts of the sets/story. For example, once back in Metru Nui, the Nuva's adaptive armor should have reshaped to look more like their '02 form; Dume looks like that for the same reason--the artist did not have the model on hand to get a clear idea of. Greg already explained the MN thing--the artist was only familiar with the MN set, not the robot form.

But on #1, there's something a little more worthy of note than the shape of Vakama's mask--Look at what the Tahnok-Kal wrote on the cave wall. The word "Kal" is written not in Matoran, but in the English Alphabet. Pretty sure they don't use written characters from Earth languages in the MU.

Posted Image

askcyrahk2.jpg

Credit to Shattered Mask Productions for the signoff!

#7 Offline Meta-Mind

Meta-Mind
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 471 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 22 2013 - 12:42 AM

In order:1. This was probably a stylistic decision made by the artist. It's extremely minor anyhow, really.2. ...Malum with a Cordak Blaster? you know what this means gaizmalums a time lord3. The artist probably wanted to make the robot more recognizable to more casual purchasers, who would be familiar with the set but not the robot.4. This was likely to either be an oversight or a stylistic choice to emphasize the "violent explosion" effect.5. As likely as not, the artist was unfamiliar with the Dume set. The more obvious error (an intentional error, since the purpose was still to market the 2009 sets) here, though, is that the Nuva should be in armor resembling their 2002 forms.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades. It's good for self-defense if you're attacked by something big.

BZPRPG Profiles

#8 Offline Kooler186

Kooler186
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 48 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 23 2013 - 08:08 AM

Spoiler

#9 Offline Snubby

Snubby
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Armored Protector

• 317 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 09:55 AM

1. I believe it just to stylize, as stated above.

2. I always wondered that when I saw the graphic novel! I always thought that the artist just made a mistake.

3. Maybe just to signify that the figure was Mata Nui?! 

4. I never really noticed that in the novel, nice find! But maybe once again it was a mistake, like stated above.

5. I guess that could also be a mistake.

I think that...

Spoiler

Edited by Maranui, Apr 20 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Onepu's legacy lives on!

#10 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,949 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 02:56 AM

While the other "errors" can be explained away or credited to artistic license, #3 made me lol, not as much at the "giant Mask of Life" bot but at the robot's gravity defying hands and shoulder plates. That must have been some protodermis the Great Beings were using. :P

Edited by fishers64, Mar 19 2013 - 02:56 AM.

14126183966_9690cb0da3_z.jpg

#11 Offline Euphrates

Euphrates
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Tohunga

• 30 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 20 2013 - 04:48 PM

Some of these are definitely inaccuraccies but yeah like a lot of users are saying, the likelihood of the Shattering exploding into three perfect spheres is very low: that probably happened over time as a result of gravity.

I remember there being a lot of pretty egregious errors in coloring between 2003-2005 though. Nothing you could really consider a continuity error, but lots of characters in the wrong color, colors spilling out into the wrong section of armor, etc. Does anyone remember this at all or am I just inflating these occurrances in my head?

#12 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 966 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 05 2013 - 07:27 AM

That's pretty funny.

Though which comic is #3 in? I think I must be missing it (somehow).

Although some of them (#5 for example) are, as said before, just stylization, but #4 seems like a rather big mistake.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#13 Online Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,844 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 05 2013 - 01:49 PM

That's pretty funny.Though which comic is #3 in? I think I must be missing it (somehow).

It's from "All Our Sins Remembered", a comic which exclusively appeared in Graphic Novel #8, Legends of Bara Magna. It was never published as a single-issue comic.

#14 Offline Nidhiki of the Shadows

Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Members
  • Jailer of the Pit

• 17,235 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 12 2013 - 06:47 PM

[color=#008000;]Most of these aren't mistakes but more stylistic choices and/or reference items used because the artist could not find a source to illustrate off of. So in the case of Malum - Stuart, the artist, probably was told to have Malum roam the wastelands with a separate weapon, and he thought the Cordak Blaster design could work. Also, maybe he had not seen an image of Robo-Mata Nui. All inconsistencies, but it doesn't really have to do with mistakes. [/color]

[color=#008000;]-NotS[/color]

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows, Apr 12 2013 - 06:49 PM.

gaim_banner.png

#15 Offline Rooster Nui

Rooster Nui
  • Members
  • Toa

• 187 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 07:27 PM

I find number two and three funny, but i think you'll find their mostly just the artist decisions when making the comic as said above.  :) 

#16 Offline Indigogeek

Indigogeek
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 438 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 20 2013 - 01:56 PM

haha #3. The guys over at The Three Virtues were cracking up at that one in their podcast. It's like they didn't even try.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

#17 Offline gunconvoy

gunconvoy
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 75 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 25 2013 - 03:39 PM

I just find the second one down right funny. I mean really, why on earth does he have that.But the rest i'll just let slide, i mean animatoin errors happen. Its not that big of a deal. Its just fun to see.

485585_528817960493060_1878734144_n.jpg

#18 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,540 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 25 2013 - 07:52 PM

The third comic up in the first post, is showing how Mata Nui will look like in his form on Bara Magna. That cannot be the Mata Nui robot, since it has no face and is much taller than that.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It is an error.

Edited by Flaredrick: Forgotten One, Apr 25 2013 - 07:54 PM.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#19 Offline Atamai

Atamai
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 30 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:03 AM

The more obvious error (an intentional error, since the purpose was still to market the 2009 sets) here, though, is that the Nuva should be in armor resembling their 2002 forms.

I knew I wasn't the only one!

firesword.gif

#20 Offline Athmos

Athmos
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,804 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 09:19 AM

I never noticed those.

I noticed the errors where the speech bubbles were pointing at the wrong person. That annoyed me to no end.

WIP

#21 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,320 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 02:36 PM

The more obvious error (an intentional error, since the purpose was still to market the 2009 sets) here, though, is that the Nuva should be in armor resembling their 2002 forms.

Well, not really. They should actually be in a form that has never been seen before, one adapted to a city. Not only that, they pretty much just arrived in Metru Nui. They haven't had time to adapt.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#22 Offline Aiwendil

Aiwendil
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 630 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well, not really. They should actually be in a form that has never been seen before, one adapted to a city. Not only that, they pretty much just arrived in Metru Nui. They haven't had time to adapt.

but remember, when Artahka teleported them to Karda Nui, they adapted nearly instantly.

76561198084895102.png

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong;
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

#23 Online Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,844 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 26 2013 - 06:00 PM

Greg confirmed years ago that their Adaptive Armor forms on Metru Nui are identical to their classic Nuva armor. Though of course that was really just a "sure, why not" on behalf of the fans.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users