The Official Star Trek Topic

Xinlo

After watching through the 2009 version, I felt uneasy about the unwarranted scene with Kirk and green lady. The plot line itself was both unoriginal and uninteresting. Oddly enough, however, I have high hopes about Into Darkness... :P

:s:

It wasn't just that scene...but anyway, I would rather not talk about that. :no:

I think Into Darkness might be better because the trailers imply that Kirk is going to get a moral comeuppance, and also because the story is free of the college-kid stuff. It seems we will see more of Kirk on the bridge fighting bad guys (what he's good at) instead of being messed up.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess I'm not going to watch the new movie. The last one already annoyed me enough; the thing is, I am not all too happy with the new timeline, and the movies' action level is just too high for me to be able to watch them without a voice at the back of my mind going all "this isn't Star trek, this isn't Star Trek..."

Although of course, the series are already kinda old, and back when things were different. Storytelling was different. And from what I've heard about the new movies I guess they fit in with todays' story telling methods. Generally, I feel movies have become more violent, whether that's a good thing or not I don't know, I just don't like how different the approach is to modern story telling. Then again, a movie with a story line like "We're now going to save everyone diplomatically in spaaaace." would maybe be 'boring', and not really work these days, who knows. :shrugs:

~~~

Voyager, from what I've watched, is essentially watered down TNG with less interesting characters, more techno-babble and a psychopathic madwomen for a captain. It's not a bad show, not really, but neither is it a good one.

... I liked Captain Janeway a lot. :/

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I've heard that the new movie is pretty good, or at least passable. While I didn't much care for the 2009 one, I still plan on seeing it in theaters if I can.

Modern movies tend to focus on fancy graphics and exciting, action-packed scenes. Star Trek didn't focus so much on action as it did on being thought-provoking; some of the most famous episodes are the ones that make you sit back and think once the episode is done. I guess the average person doesn't find that very entertaining anymore.

I thought Voyager was pretty good. My favorite, though, was DS9.

• 8 months later...

I think it's time to give this old gal a bump. Any new STO players on here at all? I've been playing for about a year now and it's a really fun (if glitchy) game.

Also rewatched all of Enterprise and I loved it. Season 3 was fairly awful (I only made it a few episodes in then just wiki'd the "important" episodes, plot-wise, and just watched them) but all the other seasons, especially the first and fourth, were brilliant.

Shame they never got the chance to implement the NX-01 refit plan for season 5 to bring it closer to the TOS Enterprise. Just got a model kit of that ship, and it would have looked so awesome in the show.

I have also been slowly collecting the Voyager DVDs; I've got seasons 2, 3, and 4 so far. They're both hard to find and extremely expensive.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Yes I found you online the other day at the tailor. :P

Meant to ask, a few friendsand I want to make our own fleet and we need a fifth person. Would you be willing? You don't need to actually be in the fleet once it's made, we're just short one person to start it.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Ah yes, the tailor. One of my favourite pasttimes. :P

Sure, suppose I could help out if I can find an unfleeted character. :)

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I waste tons of time messing with outfits too lol... and all my officers need to match, so yeah. It doesn't help that my computer likes to crash when I use the tailor, though.

Awesome, thanks. Hopefully we can all get on at the same time at some point

E8c8QpP.jpg

• 5 months later...

Not me, nope. Dumb show.

so I am just about done watching through all of TOS... only 5 episodes left I think. I liked the first two seasons a lot - I went in expecting it to be full of old-timey sexism and all that amazing stuff but it surprised me in being pretty diverse and letting women actually do stuff. But the third season seems to have abandoned all that and I'm really struggling to get through it (not that it hasn't had a few good episodes).

Anyway after having seen almost every Trek episode excepting TAS (I'll get to that) I can offically say my ranking would be Voyager > DS9 > Enterprise > TNG/TOS.

I've also been pretty busy on Star Trek Online recently, finally getting a tier 5 ship and working on my build so I'll actually be useful.

also also been trying to get all the seasons on DVD... currently at 17/29 :P

E8c8QpP.jpg

I finished watching every episode of Star Trek not too long, all 720-ish. All I have left is the first seven movies, and I'll have seen it all c: (and then I can finally make an accurate judgement on the 2009 reboot, which is why I started TNG in the first place :P "I have to know what came before," I told myself. 3.5 years ago. I am a fool :P)

I love STO but I haven't played it in a loooong time, unfortunately.

DS9 is my favorite, 'cause I'm a sucker for crazy continuity and loads n' loads of characters and stuff, and it had the best humor, in my opinion. Then come TNG, TAS, VOY, and ENT. I dunno, Voyager just kinda... the fun of it is that you can do whatever you want with it because of the great characters and just watch it for that, but the writing just bothered me throughout. Maybe if I went into it without having heard about "how terrible" it is for years, I would've liked it more. I did get sucked into it by the end though, unlike Enterprise, which dragged on. That opening theme though, oh gosh. Ear worm. And that last season was pretty great. I love 'em all more or less equally, really, but DS9 was the funnest and TNG was my first. Cried like a baby 'cause of both. A lot :P And I looooove the Abrams movies 'cause I don't care how wrong they got the characterization and all the lack of anything but action, they are gorgeous and incredible to watch c:

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

• 3 weeks later...

I finished watching every episode of Star Trek not too long, all 720-ish. All I have left is the first seven movies, and I'll have seen it all c: (and then I can finally make an accurate judgement on the 2009 reboot, which is why I started TNG in the first place :P "I have to know what came before," I told myself. 3.5 years ago. I am a fool :P)

[...]

That's cool! Did you watch the series chronologically? :)

Hm, I see. I suppose watching TOS and ENT simultaneously might be a bit of a contrast. ^_^ Never really liked Captain Archer much, sadly.

Speaking of it, favourite/least favourite captains? My favourite is definitely Janeway.

Edited by Fairy Knight

Janeway here, too. I like them all but I'd probably rank them Janeway > Sisko > Archer > Kirk/Picard

• Upvote 1

E8c8QpP.jpg

I started Voyager with the whole "worst series evar" attitude so her voice completely shattered my ears but I got used to her and I actually really like Janeway now. I really loved all the captains, and while Archer was kinda plain he was the most approachable, like, he seemed like a cool guy who you could hang out with and talk to and it wouldn't be weird. If I really have to rank the captains I guess I'd go Picard > Sikso > Kirk > Janeway > Archer but the first three are all sooooo close and the last two aren't far behind. I would've put Sisko above Kirk and Picard, buuuttt.... you're not allowed to do that. They're Kirk and Picard. You don't mess with that :P

DS9 is amazing, yes. And Dukat was probably my favourite villain in anythig ever. I'm not seeing the bad writig in voyager though? I mean the first season was eh and there were some plot holes and lazy episodes but Enterprise and TOS suffered from those twice as much. Voyager was 90% on point IMO and had the most identifiable and fleshed-out characters.

Edited by The Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

Hey look, there are Star Trek fans around here! I'll throw in my two cents.

TOS and DS9 are essentially tied for my favorite; they're different enough I think it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. TOS has the awesome Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio and brings up lots of interesting philosophical/moral/social issues. DS9 has a really well-developed cast of characters across the board (who were allowed to grow and change as the years went by) and has one of the first multiple-season story arcs on TV. TNG is third, and I haven't seen enough of the others to comment.

Favorite captain is Kirk. He's the perfect decision-maker. Sisko comes close, though. Picard is cool too, but I think I like the actor more than I like the character, if that makes sense.

I would've put Sisko above Kirk and Picard, buuuttt.... you're not allowed to do that. They're Kirk and Picard. You don't mess with that :P

What can I say, I'm a rebel. :P

DS9 is amazing, yes. And Dukat was probably my favourite villain in anythig ever. I'm not seeing the bad writig in voyager though? I mean the first season was eh and there were some plot holes and lazy episodes but Enterprise and TOS suffered from those twice as much. Voyager was 90% on point IMO and had the most identifiable and fleshed-out characters.

It just felt like they were exploring instead of being stranded and helpless. The only time the situation was dire was in Year of . If you contrast it with DS9 which had a lot of story arcs and character development, Voyager didn't. 

AΨ 94

Voyager had the Species 8472 arc, which was pretty cool in my opinion. I also have no problem with the episodic approach either, especially when done in a way where the events of one episode two seasons ago are remembered in a newer one. Not an arc but better continuity than can be said for many shows. I will agree that DS9's writing was superior overall, I just think Voyager was a mildly better show, all things considered.

E8c8QpP.jpg

And yet you never really feel Voyager is under the stress and fear from being stranded in the Delta Quadrant, except for Year of which IIRC was resolved by a jump back in time.

Sure there is the time that Janeway can't get her coffee, but the Intrepid class ship looks brand spankin new 7 years later and so does her crew.

DS9 also tackled a lot of controversial topics from race, xenophobia, homosexual relationships, etc. The only thing that comes close in Voyager was the question of artificial life forms, and that was already somewhat addressed in TNG to a lesser extent. It also says a lot when episodes focused on secondary characters like The Doctor or 7 are more interesting and well liked than those about the main characters.

AΨ 94

I'll admit you have a point with the ship lookin new after all it went through. However the premise of star trek is much different from, say, Stargate Universe. Universe was gritty and edgy and people were terrified of being lost and all that but with Voyager you've got some the best of a military organization (whose sole purpose is to learn about the new and strange) who're trained and prepared for all sorts of things. I can't see them panicking in the same way as the civilians of SGU.

Star Trek has always been about people being better to eachother and all that as well, so the infighting of aforementioned show or Battlestar Galactica would be far less common I'd think. And even given all that, Janeway and Kim in particular often struggled with being lost. The other characters (Paris, Torres, Seven, Neelix, etc) had nothing really to go back to (so out in the middle of nowhere is as good a place as any) and Tuvok was a vulcan and chakotay was chill. It just wasn't the kind of roster that lends itself well to random fear and panic. .

As for the "meaningful" episodes, I will again concede you have a point. However I don't think the show can or should be judged on that alone as Enterprise tackled even more issues than DS9 and was clearly still not as good.

[/end rant]

Edited by The Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

I'll admit you have a point with the ship lookin new after all it went through. However the premise of star trek is much different from, say, Stargate Universe. Universe was gritty and edgy and people were terrified of being lost and all that but with Voyager you've got some the best of a military organization (whose sole purpose is to learn about the new and strange) who're trained and prepared for all sorts of things. I can't see them panicking in the same way as the civilians of SGU.

Star Trek has always been about people being better to eachother and all that as well, so the infighting of aforementioned show or Battlestar Galactica would be far less common I'd think. And even given all that, Janeway and Kim in particular often struggled with being lost. The other characters (Paris, Torres, Seven, Neelix, etc) had nothing really to go back to (so out in the middle of nowhere is as good a place as any) and Tuvok was a vulcan and chakotay was chill. It just wasn't the kind of roster that lends itself well to random fear and panic. .

As for the "meaningful" episodes, I will again concede you have a point. However I don't think the show can or should be judged on that alone as Enterprise tackled even more issues than DS9 and was clearly still not as good.

[/end rant]

DS9 broke the mold of the utopia that TNG had with the Dominion war and all of the darker episodes that dealt with things like war crimes (Into the Pale Moonlight). Voyager could have further continued this instead of making everything butterflies and flowers.

Yes they were trained, but this wasn't the cream of the crop. It was just an Intrepid class ship that was stranded in the Delta Quadrant by themselves. The hardships were never really explored, and they kept using the Holodeck as a cop out for episodes set elsewhere.

I'm not saying they should have panicked like chickens, but have at least acknowledged this wasn't Starfleet's perfect world anymore. 

AΨ 94

• 3 months later...

So I've finally gotten the whole TOS on Blu-ray (the Full Journey box set), and I can start watching them all through. I'm particularly grateful that they still give the option to watch either the original or enhanced effects too; believe me, you haven't experienced the originals unless you've seen it with the classic VFX.

~ CHTrilogy

Thankfully I grew up with TOS, and my dad recorded reruns in the 80s on VHS so we had the whole show in its original version. The remasters are simply additions for me, the originals will always be fond memories. It is a shame that some people may not have seen how it was.

also going back ages to defending Voyager again, I really think the crew of that ship would have been some of starfleet's best. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but it was one of the first ships of its very experimental type and I don't think they're gonna give it to just any old crew.

E8c8QpP.jpg

It is a shame that some people may not have seen how it was.

They may still... at least with the Blu-rays, they have that choice. (Unlike some I could mention!) That said, I always like to switch the angles and see what's been changed!

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, I've started getting into Star Trek Online - it's only my first day there and I've already bought the Original Series pack which includes the uniforms and classic Constitution-class ship! Admittedly I do stick out a bit, but it's a lot of fun. I've also considered getting the TMP uniforms and ships, but I dunno, I've already spent more than my usual limit...

~ CHTrilogy

I've played Star Trek Online for almost two years now, great game. I don't play much currently due to school but I have spent way too much money on it to completey give it up lol.

E8c8QpP.jpg

I've bought like 3 uniform sets with money, but I currently have about half of them collected from giveaways haha. I love when they roll around and I get more free stuff.

E8c8QpP.jpg

I haven't played in a looong time.. only money I ever spent was for the Excelsior-class ships. I can't remember if I get a Level-50 version of the ship when I reach that or something; I hope I do, 'cause I love that ship a lot. I think I was experimenting with a Defiant sort of ship last time I played? And I think I was around level 40. It's such a great game, I just didn't have the time for it is all. Modeling my crew after my friends really made it a memorable experience, and much more entertaining when they inevitably die a hundred times on away missions (the most frustrating part of the game, I really should've just switched to easy mode for those and gotten it over with every time. I guess I'm a sucker for better loot opportunities) :P

I have pretty much all outfits so far.

I, ah, tend to be a fashionista/tailor addict. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I waste hours in the tailor as well. All my crew need to be stylish and matching, and go through a major overhaul every few weeks/months for believable time progression :P

Also free ships today, good for the new players!

E8c8QpP.jpg