weird event from the GBA game, tales of the tohunga

banana92

so this happened to me not to long ago, i was playing the game again, and as i went through ga koro with a new character, i jumped on to a rock to get across a gap, and a crab came from the water, i killed the crab, and a key popped out, it's happened to me several times in the same place, but the key disappears quickly, any idea if this is of any importance, i've found no place in the game that needs a key i wish i could post a picture of it or something, if it happens again, and i have my camera on me i will if it doesn't disappear, it lasts for about 2-3 second if i remember right.

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

Moving to Digital Discussion.

I've played it but so long ago I have no memory of any such thing.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

i killed the crab, and a key popped out, it's happened to me several times in the same place, but the key disappears quickly, any idea if this is of any importance

Are you sure it's an actual *key* and not just a fragment of the crab's body?

I'm sure if the makers were planning to have an item for the player to collect, they wouldn't have it disappear. What reason would there be for it to do so anyway?

You know what -- I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier -- you're almost certainly seeing an infected mask falling off. You don't "kill" Rahi; you free them from the masks. At least I assume the GBA game included that feature since storywise that was the case on the island at the time. I can see how with the low resolution you might confuse a mask for a key.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

You know what -- I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier -- you're almost certainly seeing an infected mask falling off. You don't "kill" Rahi; you free them from the masks. At least I assume the GBA game included that feature since storywise that was the case on the island at the time. I can see how with the low resolution you might confuse a mask for a key.

I rmember this... yeah, I noticed that too. But I guess I just made the connection for some reason... why it didn't occur to me....

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

No, I am 100% sure it is a key, weird thing is when this happens, the crab disappears and the key pops out, rotates like any item (about the size of a staff) and disappears about 2 seconds later, then a new crab comes out of the water like nothing happened, now I have a picture (and short video), but it is from my iPod touch, so it is low quality, and also the game does include masks falling off dead rahi (and off your character as he dies) I am, a bit of an obsessionist, and perfectionist, as well as very detail oriented, also the key is silver in color unlike the other (to my knowledge, green) items. (oh and lastly, the crab is based on a model from the 10023 master builder set, originally dubbed the ussal crab before the pewku set came out, and it wears no mask, just a tidbit for you all, the game is accurate on what rahi wear masks and what rahi don't, except the hoi turtle, which wears an orange ruru which it is infected, and the pakari on it's back is not infected.) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=523663

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

That is quite interesting. The key would appear to be identical to the one that you must retrieve from the infected Maha later in the game to save Vakama, save for the fact that it is silver, not green. I would theorize that Nokama was originally trapped in a cage such as Vakama is, and that this key would have freed her. If that were the case, the developers probably intended to remove the key completely, but somehow missed out on the fact that it still appears momentarily. The Ga-Wahi Ussals can be difficult to track down, so its possible that it is just a case of no one noticing the problem during testing.

I would like to try this out on my copy of the game and see if it happens to me as well. Could you possibly describe what area of Ga-Wahi this occurred in?

EDIT: I found the area where it occurred, based on your photographs. My Nokama theory might be out, since the area is part of the path to Ga-Koro, not the path to the Makika cave where Nokama is kept. The key may have had something to do with a different, removed mission, though. It is even possible that, even though the map the key is in is used on the way to Ga-Koro in the final game, it was originally designed as part of the Nokama rescuing area.

In any case, I have tried attacking what I assume to be the same Ussal as yours, but it only flips onto its back like any other one. Perhaps we own different versions of the game, or your may even be experiencing some sort of glitch. Do you know if there is any particular item you attacked it with (e.g. Madu Cabolo, a disk, snowballs), or a specific place in which you stood? I am still hoping I might be able to recreate the event somehow.

Thanks!

Edited by Tazakk

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

No, I am 100% sure it is a key, weird thing is when this happens, the crab disappears and the key pops out, rotates like any item (about the size of a staff) and disappears about 2 seconds later, then a new crab comes out of the water like nothing happened, now I have a picture (and short video), but it is from my iPod touch, so it is low quality, and also the game does include masks falling off dead rahi (and off your character as he dies) I am, a bit of an obsessionist, and perfectionist, as well as very detail oriented, also the key is silver in color unlike the other (to my knowledge, green) items. (oh and lastly, the crab is based on a model from the 10023 master builder set, originally dubbed the ussal crab before the pewku set came out, and it wears no mask, just a tidbit for you all, the game is accurate on what rahi wear masks and what rahi don't, except the hoi turtle, which wears an orange ruru which it is infected, and the pakari on it's back is not infected.) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=523663

Does the Ussal look like the one in MNOG? If it does, then those are Ussal, Pewku's just an enlarged one (from what I remember).

Yeah, "Ussal" is still the official term for a type of crab. "Pewku" is that one crab's given name, like you are a "human" even though you have your own name. Pewku isn't enlarged as far as I know; the later set is just a different interpretation; both sets are only representative of the actual creature anyways. The most official form of Ussal crabs is Pewku's movie design, which is inspired by the original set, and the Pewku set imitates the movie shape.

There may have been other crab Rahi besides Ussal, though; my faulty memory seems to say so. But that's probably an Ussal. Anywho.

I'm convinced that's no mask. Definitely looks like a key. I'd go for the glitch idea, myself. It could simply be that some code that later makes a key appear was accidentally triggered here.

They might also have planned to have item drops be a common feature of the game? I don't recall if they were or weren't, actually. But it's a common feature of similar games, like Zelda games. So the key could have been meant to open anything including a bonus level they never got around to making, etc.

Yeah, "Ussal" is still the official term for a type of crab. "Pewku" is that one crab's given name, like you are a "human" even though you have your own name. Pewku isn't enlarged as far as I know; the later set is just a different interpretation; both sets are only representative of the actual creature anyways. The most official form of Ussal crabs is Pewku's movie design, which is inspired by the original set, and the Pewku set imitates the movie shape. There may have been other crab Rahi besides Ussal, though; my faulty memory seems to say so. But that's probably an Ussal. Anywho. I'm convinced that's no mask. Definitely looks like a key. I'd go for the glitch idea, myself. It could simply be that some code that later makes a key appear was accidentally triggered here. They might also have planned to have item drops be a common feature of the game? I don't recall if they were or weren't, actually. But it's a common feature of similar games, like Zelda games. So the key could have been meant to open anything including a bonus level they never got around to making, etc.

Well, Pewku is actually older than most Ussals thats why he is so big :)There are other crabs,the only on I can think of is the rock ussal from Voya-Nui and of course the Manas.Your theory about a secret level is probably right, that could explain the strange color of the key.

I'm back!

In any case, I have tried attacking what I assume to be the same Ussal as yours, but it only flips onto its back like any other one. Perhaps we own different versions of the game, or your may even be experiencing some sort of glitch. Do you know if there is any particular item you attacked it with (e.g. Madu Cabolo, a disk, snowballs), or a specific place in which you stood? I am still hoping I might be able to recreate the event somehow.

Thanks!

well this is mainly by luck and many tries. I think, if it comes out of the water, and you hit the crab 3 times in a row before it retreats to the water (though i think it must be over the water when it dies) and use berries from the nearby trees, than it may work, also i would avoid contact with it, i think it has to be on your first attempt, if you can collect the key, than let me know lol, i haven't successfully picked it up. and i don't think where you stand matters, but if you have room to move around to dodge attacks, that may be helpful, disks might work as well, as there are 3 in the game. and no need to aim.

--"Yeah, "Ussal" is still the official term for a type of crab. "Pewku" is that one crab's given name, like you are a "human" even though you have your own name. Pewku isn't enlarged as far as I know; the later set is just a different interpretation; both sets are only representative of the actual creature anyways. The most official form of Ussal crabs is Pewku's movie design, which is inspired by the original set, and the Pewku set imitates the movie shape. There may have been other crab Rahi besides Ussal, though; my faulty memory seems to say so. But that's probably an Ussal. Anywho."-- bonesii

(surely this is the wrong way to quote more than one person, but on my lack of blogging knowledge, i digress.)

indeed, i know that Pewku is the given name of takua's ussal crab (originally from orkahm of metru-nui) and as far as other crabs go, i know of the manas, mana co (manas combonation) keras (a 2 bohrok combo), and the hannah crab of mahri-nui as well as the pewku set, these are the only crabs i remember off-hand.

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

well this is mainly by luck and many tries. I think, if it comes out of the water, and you hit the crab 3 times in a row before it retreats to the water (though i think it must be over the water when it dies) and use berries from the nearby trees, than it may work, also i would avoid contact with it, i think it has to be on your first attempt, if you can collect the key, than let me know lol, i haven't successfully picked it up. and i don't think where you stand matters, but if you have room to move around to dodge attacks, that may be helpful, disks might work as well, as there are 3 in the game. and no need to aim.

Thanks, I'll give it another try. If anything of note happens, I'll post again or edit this post.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I still had this game... All I can say is, The object in those photos is most definitely a key. I'm gonna buy the game and try this out for myself.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

There may have been other crab Rahi besides Ussal, though; my faulty memory seems to say so. But that's probably an Ussal. Anywho.

Keras.

Anywho, this is an interesting happenstance, and I own a copy of the game, so I might try it was well.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)