Kanohi duration

Katuko

Something that has bugged me for a while regarding mask powers is the following: At least some of them have been stated to have a duration. In particular, the only difference between a Great and Noble Huna is the duration of their invisibility.The first thing I am wondering about is how this duration is measured. Is it a set time, or does it still depend on the user's willpower even after the initial Great/Noble difference?If the former, does the mask need to recharge/generate more power for itself? Can it then be activated while half-charged, for a shorter duration? If the latter, does the power simply become harder and harder to control as the duration increases due to your own mental fatigue? Would a user more easily lose focus after a certain amount of time?Personally, I lean towards the former, since Noble Kanohi are confirmed to have less power total, and so it doesn't make sense to me that they would wear your mind out quicker.The second thing I wonder about is if every mask has a duration. Now, if the duration limit comes from the user's fatigue forcing them to let go of the power eventually, then it would make sense that every mask has a limit. Tahu had trouble keeping the Vahi in check, for example, but to me that seemed more like the danger of losing control rather than the inability to keep the mask going at all. Losing control of the Vahi could cause a lot of crazy stuff to happen, while losing control of a Huna would likely just make the viewer visible again.If the duration is inherent to the mask and the energy it uses, then we have the question of how long any mask can be sustained. A Ruru (night vision) would likely draw very little power, since it just allows your eyes to more easily sense light. The Great version can shine like a flashlight when used to its full extent, though, so we must consider that this additional power usage could potentially make the "batteries" (of either the mask or the user's mind) run out quicker. :)We also have such things as the Nuva masks, which have greatly expanded capabilities, at least in the sharing aspect. Sharing a power would naturally use some extra energy (and extra mind power), but would it shorten the duration, or is the Nuva masks capable of sustaining themselves just as well even when used at full power?I don't expect the answers to be readily available (or else I wouldn't ask :lol:), but I find it interesting to discuss the exact limits of Kanohi usage.

I think it depends on the user's concentration, and they lose it if they are suddenly attacked, such as in one of the Bohrok Kal comics Tahu's shield fell when Nuhvok Kal used its gravity powers and pulled Tahu to the ground. And maybe using the masks uses body energy, and Great Kanohi can take in more energy than Noble Kanohi. Of course, that's just my theory so it can't be fully true.

I believe it depends on the power, there are some masks which are harder to control than others like the Vahi because time is really powerful, so let´s say a Miru is easier to control than a Tryna, I also agree that the user may face a fatigue after using a kanohi power too much, like when you have to concentrate in order to solve a math problem, after a while you feel tired and need a rest.

Other than the powers that are described as "always on at a low level", they all probably have durations, yes.

As for how long each would be, it's the sort of thing I tend to avoid worrying about in fanfics and the like. But I imagine those that seem to have more "oomph" would have shorter durations, where powers like the Mask of X-Ray Vision could last a long time in continuous use.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I also agree that the user may face a fatigue after using a kanohi power too much, like when you have to concentrate in order to solve a math problem, after a while you feel tired and need a rest.

Didn't Matoro get tired from trying to sustain an army of dead sharks against one the Barraki (I forgot which one)? If that was the case, then I definitely say the greater the mask power, the more of a wear it would put on the user. Would also explain why Toa Nuva are the only ones capable to use Kanohi Nuva, having greater mental and physical strength to do so.

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar

Hm, yes, mental ability does indeed play a role in how effectively a wearer can use the mask power, and some powers are more stressful/taxing than others. I suppose my question is more if you had the mental capacity to keep your mask going for days, could you, or would you have to switch it off at some point due to the mask itself needing a recharge? Since a Noble Huna lasts shorter than a Great Huna, and both have the exact same effect (full invisibility), then I can't imagine a Toa being mentally worn out quicker from a Noble than a Great Mask power.

Hm, yes, mental ability does indeed play a role in how effectively a wearer can use the mask power, and some powers are more stressful/taxing than others. I suppose my question is more if you had the mental capacity to keep your mask going for days, could you, or would you have to switch it off at some point due to the mask itself needing a recharge? Since a Noble Huna lasts shorter than a Great Huna, and both have the exact same effect (full invisibility), then I can't imagine a Toa being mentally worn out quicker from a Noble than a Great Mask power.
Correction on that one. The Huna doesn't give full invisibility, it gives invisibility to just the body, not the shadow, so you can't see the body but you can see the shadow if there's light.

it seems that the Duration is how much mental force you put into it. maybe the Noble version needs more power than the Great, like how a laptop seven years ago would probably have to stay on outlet power all the time, while today you have computers going on for hours without needing to be charged. they both have the same basic function, but the older laptop/noble Huna needs more charge.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

it seems that the Duration is how much mental force you put into it. maybe the Noble version needs more power than the Great, like how a laptop seven years ago would probably have to stay on outlet power all the time, while today you have computers going on for hours without needing to be charged. they both have the same basic function, but the older laptop/noble Huna needs more charge.

I never thought of it that way before, but that is a good way to put it, and that was similar to my theory as well.

Here's an example: Toa Jovan wore a Great Kadin, You know what the Great Kadin can do. Turaga Jovan wore a Noble Kadin, which basically allowed him to fly for short periods of time, but he can't stay flying for as long as a Great Kadin user could, because it's power just doesn't last that long. Hope that answers a question.