• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Proto squad?

Proto MOC 2014 2013 2000

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 10:03 PM

What is the proto squad? In the old Bionicle sense of the word not the bzp meaning (if there is one)

#2 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Literally Kagome

• 05-February 03
  • 5,611 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 10:16 PM

Moving to LEGO Discussion.

#3 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 10:30 PM

Moving to LEGO Discussion.

thnx bro

#4 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 05-July 10
  • 5,923 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 02:25 AM

I don't think there is a Bionicle meaning. 

16028406952_a8c31f0bfe.jpg15838451978_fa70afcd66_m.jpg

#5 Offline Voxumo

Voxumo
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lord of the Dancing Fikou

• 08-January 07
  • 3,344 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 04:44 AM

yeah i never heard of a proto squad in actual bionicle

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu-Vrina-Voulge-Kidona-Chivinix-Celis-Darvin-Draeverian 'DJ'-

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Home Grown Alaskan Sprites. Your one-stop shop for the most organic sprites

"Nightmares cease to exist when you come to the realization that even they can be an escape from the horrors of reality."

#6 Online Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 14-April 02
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 06:27 AM

If anyone is wondering, the Proto Squad was a group of Bionicle fans, chosen by Lego in 2002, who got rare merchandise and sneak peeks. If I remember rightly, this 'elite' group - some of whom were members on here - caused quite a bit of resentment amongst the rest of the fanbase.

The Squad was forgotten or disbanded by Lego sometime in 2004.

#7 Offline Voxumo

Voxumo
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lord of the Dancing Fikou

• 08-January 07
  • 3,344 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 06:36 AM

ah ok. 

If anyone is wondering, the Proto Squad was a group of Bionicle fans, chosen by Lego in 2002, who got rare merchandise and sneak peeks. If I remember rightly, this 'elite' group - some of whom were members on here - caused quite a bit of resentment amongst the rest of the fanbase.

truly did not know they existed

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu-Vrina-Voulge-Kidona-Chivinix-Celis-Darvin-Draeverian 'DJ'-

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Home Grown Alaskan Sprites. Your one-stop shop for the most organic sprites

"Nightmares cease to exist when you come to the realization that even they can be an escape from the horrors of reality."

#8 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 01:40 PM

hmm how did they get on the squad? and what did they get?

#9 Online Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members

• 14-April 02
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 08:10 PM

hmm how did they get on the squad? and what did they get?

All the information would be available if the news pages were currently reachable. Obviously it was all quite a long time ago. All I can remember is that they got to see comic scripts, set prototypes and other treats. There was also a website that had a password only revealed to them, which added to their elitist image. I don't know what was on the site, or if any of it is still around.

I don't recall how the members were chosen, though it was definitely exclusive to America. I don't know if any of the members are still active on here; I'm sure they could tell you far more than I can.

#10 Offline Gengar

Gengar
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 16-February 13
  • 2,192 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 10:18 PM

I never heard of anything like this before. I thought it would have something to do with the storyline but I was not even close. I wonder if any BZP members were in it, though.

#11 Online Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members

• 14-April 02
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 01 2013 - 06:55 AM

I wonder if any BZP members were in it, though.

I've already said that there were.

#12 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 31-July 05
  • 11,160 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 12:13 PM

[color=#990000;]If I am not mistaken, the so-called GPKK (Grey Plastic Krana Kal) were among the items given away to the members of the Proto Squad. They are, however, extremely hard to come by, in fact even more so than VMKK (Vacuum Metal Krana Kal) or WMKK (White Metal Krana Kal). In case that you are not familiar with those collectibles, this photo from Sidorak the Hunter's Brickshelf gallery may be a good image reference.[/color][color=#000080;]-Gata[/color] Posted Image

Edited by Gatanui, Mar 20 2013 - 05:25 PM.

- Gata signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

#13 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ah I see I wonder I some have them for sale or something of the other

#14 Offline PyroLizard Prime

PyroLizard Prime
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 08-March 13
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 08:58 AM

I wish I could have gotten into the proto squad. They got Gpkk and Vmkk! My two most desired collectables! 

"I am proud... to have called you brother... Vakama..."- Toa lhikan, the best character ever created by LEGO...

"Toa... So dramatic"- Nidhiki, another one if the best characters ever created by LEGO...

Remember them...

enax_the_epic_big.pngENAX WILL HAVE YOUR SOUL... Or your mask... Or maybe both...      :tohu: 

Sprite credits go to Katuko and Strack. Great job, guys!  :D            Help Enax win the golden mask! 15587719315 (Or don't)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#15 Offline Gengar

Gengar
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 16-February 13
  • 2,192 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:40 PM

I wish I could have gotten into the proto squad. They got Gpkk and Vmkk! My two most desired collectables! 

Who doesn't, really?

#16 Offline T.B.O.C

T.B.O.C
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 21-April 07
  • 2,370 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 07:32 PM

GPKK and VMKK have been sold here before, though not very recently due to the very low amount of them that exist. Used to be more popular a few years back, them being sold.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

#17 Offline PyroLizard Prime

PyroLizard Prime
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 08-March 13
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 10:48 AM

Who doesn't, really?

Good point.

"I am proud... to have called you brother... Vakama..."- Toa lhikan, the best character ever created by LEGO...

"Toa... So dramatic"- Nidhiki, another one if the best characters ever created by LEGO...

Remember them...

enax_the_epic_big.pngENAX WILL HAVE YOUR SOUL... Or your mask... Or maybe both...      :tohu: 

Sprite credits go to Katuko and Strack. Great job, guys!  :D            Help Enax win the golden mask! 15587719315 (Or don't)

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#18 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 03:02 PM

How would one recieve theese special items? And most of all is there a proto squad with say other Lego themes ?

#19 Offline Gengar

Gengar
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 16-February 13
  • 2,192 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 05:47 PM

They probably(most likely) got it via mail.

#20 Offline Tahmira

Tahmira
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 30-March 13
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2013 - 08:26 PM

And most of all is there a proto squad with say other Lego themes ?

Well if there are any similar groups they are most likely not called proto squad since the name most likely came from either the term Protodermis or Proto-piston(Toa Wehnua's tool) but will most likely be called something els if they ever have another similar group.

BZPRPG Characters
Tahmira

#21 Offline PyroLizard Prime

PyroLizard Prime
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 08-March 13
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well if there are any similar groups they are most likely not called proto squad since the name most likely came from either the term Protodermis or Proto-piston(Toa Wehnua's tool) but will most likely be called something els if they ever have another similar group.

No, there isn't a Proto-squad style club for anything else lego-related. P.S. the proto-piston belongs to Onewa, not Whenua. 

Remember them...

#22 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 12:44 PM

darn so where does all the lego treasure/pirate booty go to?

#23 Offline Tahmira

Tahmira
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 30-March 13
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 12:45 PM

Onewa? Wow well I guess it just goes to show you what a day without sleep does to you head...I can't believe I mixed that up...

Edited by Tahmira, Apr 01 2013 - 12:45 PM.

BZPRPG Characters
Tahmira

#24 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 08:48 PM

soo if the proto squad was named after onewas protopistons, then how was it named the proto squad in the bohrok era?

#25 Offline Gengar

Gengar
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 16-February 13
  • 2,192 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 01 2013 - 09:20 PM

Most likely after protodermis. And that seems like the most suitable choice, it's more well known than just weapons.

#26 Offline Heir of the Chronicler

Heir of the Chronicler
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 13-January 03
  • 2,715 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 03 2013 - 01:35 PM

I am one of BZP's Proto-Squad members, and yes, the name presumably comes from Protodermis, as this was right after the Toa became Nuva. The "Proto Squad" was a promotional effort Lego began at the end of 2002, as Kohran said. They held a contest at the where the fans were asked to draw and mail a BIONICLE-related picture. The Proto Squad lasted until the end of 2004, at which point us members just stopped receiving stuff. We got a free Bohrok Kal, a free Toa Metru, as well as posters, comic scripts, mini-disks and of course, the Grey Plastic Krana Kal and Vacuum Metal Krana Kal.

The GPKK and VMKK were created before LEGO decided to make the White Metal and Sterling Silver Krana Kal instead, and so they sent the now-purposeless GPKK and VMKK to the Proto Squad members. I held onto mine for years, before finally selling them to other BZP members for approx $100 each. Figured they were better in the hands of a collector who appreciated them, rather than sitting in a box stashed away on a shelf in my room.

So, no, there isn't any in-Universe "Proto Squad", but I remain proud of my membership... sending pics of the stuff I got was the first of only two times I've ever been on the front page :P

- Heir

vffsigbanner5.png

#27 Offline toa electro

toa electro
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-February 12
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 03 2013 - 10:32 PM

I sir admire that you got to be a proto squad member

#28 Online Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members

• 14-April 02
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 04 2013 - 04:37 PM

I am one of BZP's Proto-Squad members, and yes, the name presumably comes from Protodermis, as this was right after the Toa became Nuva. The "Proto Squad" was a promotional effort Lego began at the end of 2002, as Kohran said. They held a contest at the where the fans were asked to draw and mail a BIONICLE-related picture. The Proto Squad lasted until the end of 2004, at which point us members just stopped receiving stuff. We got a free Bohrok Kal, a free Toa Metru, as well as posters, comic scripts, mini-disks and of course, the Grey Plastic Krana Kal and Vacuum Metal Krana Kal.

So, no, there isn't any in-Universe "Proto Squad", but I remain proud of my membership... sending pics of the stuff I got was the first of only two times I've ever been on the front page :P

- Heir

Ah, a member who was actually in it and can expand on what I've said. I hoped one would show up at some point. Thanks for the information.

Do you have any memory of what you submitted for the contest?

#29 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,781 posts

Posted Apr 05 2013 - 01:46 PM

No, there isn't a Proto-squad style club for anything else lego-related. P.S. the proto-piston belongs to Onewa, not Whenua.

Kind of off-topic, but Onewa's Toa tools were Proto-pitons, not Proto-pistons.I doubt there are any other groups similar to the BIONICLE Proto Squad for other themes since as far as I know the whole point of that group was to build hype for the theme, and that doesn't work if the group is so secret nobody's heard of it. :P

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 Offline Heir of the Chronicler

Heir of the Chronicler
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member

• 13-January 03
  • 2,715 posts

Posted Apr 06 2013 - 10:12 PM

@Kohran: I do, actually, as I still have the original among my old art folders! We made a copy and sent that instead. I could've sworn I scanned and uploaded it someplace, but I just tore my image hosting accounts apart and couldn't find it. I can rectify that easily enough, tho. It was an image of the Toa Mata in the Exo-Toa chamber with Tahnok bursting through a door behind them... don't know why, exactly, but I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

- Heir

vffsigbanner5.png

#31 Offline Rooster Nui

Rooster Nui
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 15-October 12
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 16 2013 - 11:14 PM

Sounds like a status to be proud of. You were very lucky to be a part of the Proto Squad Heir of the Chronicler.

Hey, Hau's It going

#32 Offline Heir of the Chronicler

Heir of the Chronicler
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member

• 13-January 03
  • 2,715 posts

Posted Apr 17 2013 - 03:28 PM

That I was :)

- Heir