New Elemental Prefix - Magnetism + Plant Life

Erebus

Kra-Matoran? Why would there be a prefix for Shadow Matoran? They were never supposed to be created, let alone have a name for their type.

The prefix is for the element and can be used for anything that has that element. For example, if you had a sword with the power of Shadow you could hypothetically call it a Kra-sword. You could call the Core Dimension Teridax a Kra-Makuta, while White Teridax could be called an Av-Makuta. Etc. It isn't only for Matoran.

However, they -have- been created, so it's possible the prefix was only made once they were. It's just a shortening of the word for Shadow as is a standard rule in Matoran language, so anybody could have and likely would have coined the prefix at that time based on the precedents used for all the other prefixes.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Is there an official prefix for Shadow Matoran yet?

I saw someone use "Kra-Matoran", but I didn't know if that was canon or not.

Edited by bonesiii
Not really sure if that site is allowed to be mentioned, but it was reported, and is not needed in this post, so cutting... -bones

"The challenge of being a Makuta is choosing which powers to use to destroy your enemies. It gets boring using the same ones all the time. Variety is the spice of destruction, after all." - Makuta Antroz

Is there an official prefix for Shadow Matoran yet? I saw someone use "Kra-Matoran", but I didn't know if that was canon or not.

We already discussed his on the previous page, but it is a canon prefix according to BS01 but check this out:

Kra-Matoran? Why would there be a prefix for Shadow Matoran? They were never supposed to be created, let alone have a name for their type.

The prefix is for the element and can be used for anything that has that element. For example, if you had a sword with the power of Shadow you could hypothetically call it a Kra-sword. You could call the Core Dimension Teridax a Kra-Makuta, while White Teridax could be called an Av-Makuta. Etc. It isn't only for Matoran. However, they -have- been created, so it's possible the prefix was only made once they were. It's just a shortening of the word for Shadow as is a standard rule in Matoran language, so anybody could have and likely would have coined the prefix at that time based on the precedents used for all the other prefixes.
Edited by bonesiii
Removing quoted ref to a site; see explanation in edit line for previous post. -bones

But why Kra. It sounds strange and it reminds me of Krana.

I would think it would be obvious -- it's the shortening of the Matoran word for shadow, "Kraahkan." They're Shadow Matoran, so...

Just like the Av in Av-Matoran is short for Avohkii.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I would think it would be obvious -- it's the shortening of the Matoran word for shadow, "Kraahkan." They're Shadow Matoran, so...

Just like Ba-Matoran is short for Garai....

Wait a minute.

Just like Ba-Matoran is short for Garai....

Wait a minute.

Light and Shadow are opposites, so they would obviously use the same mask-prefix-naming rules. :P

Although I remember a topic that offered additional evidence for that prefix, but it is in the archive. (Grr...)

Edited by fishers64

If I believed in gambling, I would have bet half my life savings that after that post, Garai would come up. I almost added it pre-emptively. :P A lot of people obviously wondered why the Gravity Matoran prefix was not Gar.

The answer can be extrapolated from three canon facts: 1) the names of masks are the names of the powers (not necessarily the elements, if they are named after sub-powers), 2) Kraahkan is the Matoran word for elemental Shadow, and 3) Avohkii is the Matoran word for Light.

Therefore, the most obvious explanation is that while in English we just use one word for two different concepts, in Bionicle they use "Ba" (and maybe some unknown longer version of it) for Gravity in general, the full elemental power, and Garai is a separate term for a sub-power of Gravity.

The Mask of "Gravity" is a much more limited version of the elemental power that only affects targets and only increases or decreases their weight -- we don't have a single word for this in normal English (although if the story team had really thought this through beforehand they could have used something like Weight to come close, or not use "Garai"). The Gravity element can affect whatever you want including the self and can bend gravity sideways too, etc.

In the real world, in the British and many other accents, "Gar" is pronounced almost identically to "Ga", so that's probably why that prefix was not used, in favor of Ba. And this way, other than Onu which starts with a vowel, all prefixes are two letters long so it's also more consistent with established language rules (Ga was obviously already taken).

So anyways, none of this changes the fact that Kra comes from Kraahkan just as Av comes from Avohkii. :)

Edited by bonesiii

I would think it would be obvious -- it's the shortening of the Matoran word for shadow, "Kraahkan." They're Shadow Matoran, so... Just like the Av in Av-Matoran is short for Avohkii.
Then that must be where the word "Kraata" came from. They both start with "Kraa", but for Kra-Matoran they removed the "a" because it sounds the same with out the excess a.

Yeah, "Kraata" might mean 'shadow slug'.

Probably "shadow birth" or "shadow of life". "Shadow birth" because Krana might come, in part, from Visorak venom, and take over people's minds, hence the "rebirth" of having a new mind. "Shadow of life" because Krana are inside Bohrok, which aren't alive, but sort of are because they have Krana in them. And also because, from the Matoran perspective, Bohrok destroy life at the Krana's behest. Also because Bohrok used to be Matoran, and so the life that is in the Krana is a Shadow of the life that was once in the Bohrok. Crazy theory, knock it down.

Then what does Krana mean?

Not necessarily anything to do with shadow. It could have a completely different etymology that simply happens to resemble that of "Kraata" and "Kraahkan." A lot of words have similar spellings but different roots. For example, "quasar" and "quantum" both begin with "qua-," but the word "quasar" comes from the term "quasi-stellar radio source" (wherein the term "quasi-" means "as if" in Latin), while the word "quantum" comes from the Latin word "quantus," which means "how much."

Edited by XyzTheDay!
coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |

Something like that seems reasonable, fishers. The Krana are usually treated as disturbing, and the same process that made them made the deadly Zyglak. "Shadow" seems an appropriate part of their label, even if only poetic.

Xyz, that's reasonable too. That was my first thought; that "Kra" by itself means shadow only because it's a shortening of Kraahkan. That could be a root word with no obvious etymological parts, and Krana could be a separate root word. There has to be some root level of word parts in any language below which no meaning is attached, and it generally has to be higher than single letters (though most languages have occasional exceptions like English "a" and "I").

Or, "Kraah" could be the root. Maybe the root meaning "Darkness" and the "kan" specifies "shadow energy"? Then Kra can be seen as a shortening of either type of darkness. "Krana" would still be a separate root.

Still, seems too coincidental to me that Kraata and Krana are both so similar in nature and function as well as name. More likely there is an etymological "shadow" or "darkness" connection with Krana.

I just thought of something. Krana don't really have anything to do with shadow, but it is sort of against the Makuta. Teridax may have sent the signal to clear off Mata Nui, but the Bohrok and Krana were made to clear off Mata Nui for the Great Spirit Robot (Mata Nui, not Makuta) to awaken.

That makes sense, but that attribute is already taken by Ta-Matoran. I can't think of anything at this hour (except, perhaps, a Su-Matoran's eyes being protected from harmful rays or something), but I look forward to seeing what Greg comes up with.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Abnormally high resistance to being in contact with very hot materials (moreso than Ta-Matoran), rather than simply a general higher-than-average resistance to high temperatures, perhaps? As far as Gravity... My guess would be that Ba-Matoran could have particularly tough armor and be really hard to crush. Bo-Matoran and Fa-Matoran are harder to say... I would imagine Bo-Matoran being resistant to plant-based poisons or some such thing, though. Now the only question is the preferred region. Bo-Matoran? That's easy. Everything else? No idea! :P

Edited by Tanu Toa of Earth
toatanusignature.png