• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

LEGO Boxes Get Smaller

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 03:14 PM

Personally, I'm so familiar with the size of a LEGO box that one glance under a Christmas tree will tell me which box I MUST open first. But now, LEGO is changing the size of its boxes quite a bit. LEGO claims the reason for this decrease in size is the positive impact on the environment it will have, as well as reducing the amount of cardboard. This also means more LEGO sets can fit on a store shelf, which is good news for all of us.View the full article

#2 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 588 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 06:55 PM

I like that the boxes are getting smaller. I never like how the pieces only took up like half the boxes' space. Now it'll feel i'm getting more bang for my buck.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickstein 11.gif

Even when things look there worst. And the shadow of evil is upon us. Remember that as long as we hope for the best. Light will appear and overcome the darkness.

Please check out my projects on Lego Ideas.9.gif
https://ideas.lego.c...kstein/projects

I'm looking for an Inkay or Malamar with its event move Happy Hour. Pm if you have one I can borrow to breed and pass the move down so I can have an Inkay with the move for myself.

#3 Offline Watcher on the Walls

Watcher on the Walls
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,004 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 07:09 PM

That's great. Now I can just come and go to the store without carrying huge Lego boxes.

#4 Offline Flux: The Explorer

Flux: The Explorer
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,297 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 07:13 PM

Well, that's probably the reason why some sets always look so big and always have to be carried with both of your hands. This is a great change on Lego's part, thinking about the environment.

pWPTu7m.jpg

Credits go to Strack for the awesome sprite.

"Everyone wondered what powered Zane. I don't know if we'll ever know. I like to

think he was a brother. Because he powered me... and he'll still power me as his memory lives on.

A ninja never quits and a ninja will never be forgotten. Wherever you are Zane...

you'll always be one of us..."

~ Kai, Ninjago

#5 Offline Nuparu77

Nuparu77
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 48 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 07:28 PM

As long as they are only reducing box size and not content, I'm happy :)

Now if only they could bring the pricing down a notch as well...

boxor_10.jpg

MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

~Fan-Made Game~

#6 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,904 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'd say this is a good thing. Some of the boxes are just way too big for the packaged contents.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#7 Offline Phyoohrii

Phyoohrii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Master of Fragmentation Rampant

• 5,453 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 08:38 PM

This has been too long in coming, this should have been done years ago, but better late than never, eh? The size discrepancy was ridiculous and highly misleading, and of course very wasteful. This makes things a lot better for storage too, because geez, the boxes I have to deal with are just ridiculous and take up a lot of space. But yeah, glad they're also implementing a whole raft of sustainable measures it seems. They'll realise it's better for their bottom line as well, particularly in the long term, so it's good they're showing some responsible business and environmental practices in the years ahead.

Posted Image

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

#8 Offline ninjamonkey3000

ninjamonkey3000
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Seeker

• 279 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm glad to see this change put in place!  A good chunk of LEGO sets are smaller than the size of a box would lead you to believe, it leaves more room for sets on the self, and it's good for the environment, so win-win-win.  I can't wait to see this change put in place and will be on the lookout for the smaller boxes in stores.

Posted Image

"The one who inherits the red souls! AkaRed!"

(oh and I do an epic called 'Desert of Broken Dreams', go check it out)

#9 Offline Electric Turahk

Electric Turahk
  • Premier Member
  • The Tracer

• 13,121 posts

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well I'm quite glad to hear LEGO's doing this. Strictly from a consumer's viewpoint, it was always aggravating to have the size of your set exaggerated thanks to the overly large boxes. These smaller ones should give a better idea of how much you'll really be getting out of the boxes. I know that there's a knee jerk reaction akin to "big box = big fun," but after experiencing that just a handful of times you quickly learn the trick.So yeah... This is cool.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

#10 Offline Blizzard Hazard: Valendale

Blizzard Hazard: Valendale
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Chugger of all that is Icy

• 368 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 10:50 PM

This is a trend that started with the Pirates of the Caribbean, and one that I'm quite pleased with. Not only does it have a positive for the environment, but it's also a much preferable way of LEGO saving money than reducing the actual content of the sets.

Posted Image
"Cast aside your desires...and fight."
3DS FC: 2492-4241-6189

#11 Offline Aiwendil

Aiwendil
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 634 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2013 - 11:23 PM

Lego is going green! :D but seriously, really happy that they're reducing the size. that probably means cost also. regardless of cost, it means I can stuff my cart full of lego, with more lego

76561198084895102.png

Add me on steam, I don't bite.

probably.

also, if you can see this text, you get a brownie C:

#12 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,138 posts

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 01:59 AM

*remembers tons of Lego Boxes that just took up space over the years**claps*

14126183966_9690cb0da3_z.jpg

#13 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Great Disks Recovered

• 9,521 posts

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 03:13 AM

I'm pleased Lego is finally doing this, because I would always be sad to see how much material was wasted, with parts only taking up half or so of their oversized boxes.

~B~

sands_banner.jpg

#14 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,024 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 09:01 AM

Personally, I am not as thrilled with this as some people. Naturally, I can understand all the benefits of doing this, and I certainly approve of them. But at the same time, it used to be that when bringing a bunch of sets from place to place (for instance, to and from college) I'd use the boxes of the largest sets for storage, and they could usually hold a good portion of the sets from that theme due to their size. Basically a bad habit I picked up as a BIONICLE fan, since the smaller sets typically came with their own storage containers and I was determined to transport the larger sets just as efficiently (though it's worth noting that TLG actually encourages this with some of their larger sets, which feature tabs to seal the boxes closed). I still often do this with sets I get for Christmas and build while I'm away from home.LEGO boxes are collapsible, so I don't entirely understand the storage complaint I sometimes see. Storing unopened sets may take up a lot of space, but an opened box can be used as storage in and of itself, or can be collapsed flat to take up minimal space.Nowadays, for transport to and from college, I've come to rely on Ziploc bags (or for Hero Factory sets, the bags they come with), so using boxes to transport sets is no longer essential to me most of the time. But it's kind of a shame that boxes are tending to get smaller. Thankfully, in some cases, the smaller shelf profile and surface area doesn't come with a huge reduction in volume: I was quite impressed to see that the box for 70504 Garmatron is about the same size a smaller set might have been the year before, but about twice as deep. This kind of design is both efficient from a packaging perspective AND useful from a storage perspective.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#15 Online Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,039 posts

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 11:11 AM

I'm surprised Lego didn't start to do this sooner. But now is as good a time as any.

Everyone is one choice away from being a bad guy in someone else's story.

#16 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 3,187 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 02:17 PM

Good! Might make them less easy to spot from a distance, but at least it'll fill their boxes better now.

~ CHTrilogy

whob.png

#17 Offline ~garnira returns~

~garnira returns~
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 838 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thats wonderful! But didn't they do this for a brief period with the fire villains in early 2011?

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

My website: http://arra41.wix.com/zaro-nui ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

#18 Online Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,061 posts

Posted Mar 03 2013 - 06:06 PM

I've noticed this on my Chima sets I've gotten this year. I really like them being smaller. Easier to transport, though some sets need more disassembly to fit in the box than before.
--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users