LEGO Boxes Get Smaller

Personally, I'm so familiar with the size of a LEGO box that one glance under a Christmas tree will tell me which box I MUST open first. But now, LEGO is changing the size of its boxes quite a bit. LEGO claims the reason for this decrease in size is the positive impact on the environment it will have, as well as reducing the amount of cardboard. This also means more LEGO sets can fit on a store shelf, which is good news for all of us.View the full article

I like that the boxes are getting smaller. I never like how the pieces only took up like half the boxes' space. Now it'll feel i'm getting more bang for my buck.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

This has been too long in coming, this should have been done years ago, but better late than never, eh? The size discrepancy was ridiculous and highly misleading, and of course very wasteful. This makes things a lot better for storage too, because geez, the boxes I have to deal with are just ridiculous and take up a lot of space. But yeah, glad they're also implementing a whole raft of sustainable measures it seems. They'll realise it's better for their bottom line as well, particularly in the long term, so it's good they're showing some responsible business and environmental practices in the years ahead.

signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

I'm glad to see this change put in place! A good chunk of LEGO sets are smaller than the size of a box would lead you to believe, it leaves more room for sets on the self, and it's good for the environment, so win-win-win. I can't wait to see this change put in place and will be on the lookout for the smaller boxes in stores.

TLoMN_Po-Koro_Celebration.png

Well I'm quite glad to hear LEGO's doing this. Strictly from a consumer's viewpoint, it was always aggravating to have the size of your set exaggerated thanks to the overly large boxes. These smaller ones should give a better idea of how much you'll really be getting out of the boxes. I know that there's a knee jerk reaction akin to "big box = big fun," but after experiencing that just a handful of times you quickly learn the trick.So yeah... This is cool.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Personally, I am not as thrilled with this as some people. Naturally, I can understand all the benefits of doing this, and I certainly approve of them. But at the same time, it used to be that when bringing a bunch of sets from place to place (for instance, to and from college) I'd use the boxes of the largest sets for storage, and they could usually hold a good portion of the sets from that theme due to their size. Basically a bad habit I picked up as a BIONICLE fan, since the smaller sets typically came with their own storage containers and I was determined to transport the larger sets just as efficiently (though it's worth noting that TLG actually encourages this with some of their larger sets, which feature tabs to seal the boxes closed). I still often do this with sets I get for Christmas and build while I'm away from home.LEGO boxes are collapsible, so I don't entirely understand the storage complaint I sometimes see. Storing unopened sets may take up a lot of space, but an opened box can be used as storage in and of itself, or can be collapsed flat to take up minimal space.Nowadays, for transport to and from college, I've come to rely on Ziploc bags (or for Hero Factory sets, the bags they come with), so using boxes to transport sets is no longer essential to me most of the time. But it's kind of a shame that boxes are tending to get smaller. Thankfully, in some cases, the smaller shelf profile and surface area doesn't come with a huge reduction in volume: I was quite impressed to see that the box for 70504 Garmatron is about the same size a smaller set might have been the year before, but about twice as deep. This kind of design is both efficient from a packaging perspective AND useful from a storage perspective.

I've noticed this on my Chima sets I've gotten this year. I really like them being smaller. Easier to transport, though some sets need more disassembly to fit in the box than before.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.