MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

Nuparu77

Well, nuparu, after all this discussion, anything you might add? I for one would like to see the mata nui military with much more action, I didn't like how they only had a large part in 2001 (also onepu).

My replay is going to be short...

I'm locking myself in my computer room and limiting all social interactions (including forums) until I make major headway on developing the game.

Anyways, the discussion has been fun to read, and has given me lots of insights.

My Perspective:

As you all know, I'm working on a fighting minigame that will be used throughout the rest of the game.

It's probably not going to be completely cannon, but I'm assuming that every village has their own fighting style that is more or less balanced with all the other villages.

Ga-Matoran are better at dodging but have lower Hp,

Ta-Matoran have more Hp but are less agile,

Le-Matoran specialize in ranged attacks,

Onu matoran do better in tight spaces thus specializing in Melee attacks,

etc...

My thoughts on the Army vs Guard debate:

I'm assuming that every Koro has its own guard. (Group of defending Matoran)

and as shown in the first MNOLG they only preserve their own Koro, and do not interact or team up with any other Koro's guard.

An Army, in my opinion, would have to consist of a group of matoran not just defending but going on the offensive, moving throughout the island wherever the Bohrok threat is the greatest. Not tied down to a specific Koro, but helping all of them. A second united-matoran effort... with the Chroniclers company being the first.

and I'm going to stop there before I give anything important away.

These are just some of my thoughts. I want to try to make this game as epic and interesting as possible, so I agree that there should be more action in this game that in the original.

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Ga-Koro clearly does not have guards.

Yes they do.

That doesn't look accurate. I watched the videos recently, and I may be mistaken, but that appeared to be Matoran working together for survival, not an official guard...unless this was in a book. Was it in the second book?

I don't have a screenshot on hand, but play MNOG 1 and go to ga-koro near the end of the game.

bBhcfWO.png

Ga-Koro clearly does not have guards.

Yes they do.

That doesn't look accurate. I watched the videos recently, and I may be mistaken, but that appeared to be Matoran working together for survival, not an official guard...unless this was in a book. Was it in the second book?

I don't have a screenshot on hand, but play MNOG 1 and go to ga-koro near the end of the game.

Oh yeah. I had totally forgotten about them.

My apologies.

Edited by BobaFett2

The Legend Lives...

• 4 weeks later...

That battle game engine looks quite interesting (and complicated). Is this going to be for just the next chapter, or will we be seeing it many times from this point on?

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

That battle game engine looks quite interesting (and complicated). Is this going to be for just the next chapter, or will we be seeing it many times from this point on?

The battle engine will be reused on many occasions. And sorry for delays on chapters. Nuparu is working hard on the engine, and i've been writing a script. Once the engine is done we can begin production again at a quick pace. Also, both of us have school, so we find time when we can. Just wanted to make our slowness clear. Thanks for being understanding!

How many chapters do you intend to create?

About as many as the first game, so i'd guess around 9 or 10, more or less. We have a timeline of events, however we're trying to figure out when to break them into chapters. Don't worry, you'll get to see the entire bohrok war! It will be as long or longer than MNOG.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

will you do a game for the bohrok-kal saga?

Hm, we'll see. It does techniclly fit into the bohrok saga, and it does have holes between the cutscenes. It will all probably depend on how Nuparu and I feel at the end. Would we like to keep making more? It takes a lot of effort to get these out. I would personally love to see one, but thats a question that might be answered in the future. ;)

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I'm inspired to make a game following the events of Tale of the Toa. I know MNOG kinda did that, but not from the perspective of the Toa.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I have to say, this is truly amazing. You've done a great job with the storyline, adding matoran to your group, and just the overall effect of the game and how it matches with the original design of MNOLG 1. My only real complaints are that I need more chapters, and that there were a few typos here and there, but I'm always picky about grammar and ended up trying to modify the dialogue in the files for a punctuation mistake...

As a computer nerd, I look forward to seeing how you handle the battle system and various structures of minigames. Great work!

Edited by Kopakanui98
Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

I have to say, this is truly amazing. You've done a great job with the storyline, adding matoran to your group, and just the overall effect of the game and how it matches with the original design of MNOLG 1. My only real complaints are that I need more chapters, and that there were a few typos here and there, but I'm always picky about grammar and ended up trying to modify the dialogue in the files for a punctuation mistake...

As a computer nerd, I look forward to seeing how you handle the battle system and various structures of minigames. Great work!

Computer nerds unite!

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I'm only a beginner at coding so this may be an obvious question, but are you somehow using the source code for MNOLG 1 for this or are you just pulling images from the game and using them? I didn't think that there was a way to access the code for any of the original bionicle games as Lego wouldn't make that public...

Edit: Never mind, this was an obvious question. Always assumed that source code would be harder to get than using a simple download to decompile the shockwave files. <_<

Edited by Kopakanui98
Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

UPDATE 1/26/13

The Battle Engine is coming along nicely. The map editor is finished, and the unit database editor is nearing completion.

That's right, I'm not just making the mini-game but also building editors for it so that I can re-use it throughout the rest of the chapters without any additional programming.

The game can robustly load in all map data (map size, terrain types, & tile elevation), place units on the map, and load unit data.

Map Editor screenshots showing the elevation-map and the terrain-map:

elevat10.pngterrai10.png

The numbers in the elevation-map define how high that tile is, and the numbers in the terrain-map define the type of terrain that the tile is. (0=Grass, 1=Mud, 2=Path)

Screenshot of what the game currently looks like:

select10.png

The grayed-out unit in the center is selected and his information is showing up on the side-menu. The menu isn't completed yet, all of the unit data is loaded into the game, I just haven't set up the menu to read all of it yet.

All map navigation systems are working! Such as: map panning, zoom in/out, and rotating map (only snaps to exact North,South,East,West)

Zoomed out all the way:

zoom_o10.png

Map rotated so that East is facing up:

rotate10.png

The compass on the lower-left of the screen displays the direction that the map is facing.

The next step in the development process is to work on making the units move around. I already have a path-finding logarithm written, so I just need to integrate it.

Currently I only have Grass, Path and Mud terrain types. These 3 basic terrain types will allow me to test for Slower/Faster/Unchanged movement speeds. For example: units should be able to travel twice as far if on a path, only half as far on mud, and grass offers no movement hindrance/benefit.

Once I have the basics worked out of course I will expand this to account for the different unit types.

(Example: Ga-Matoran travel FAST in water, whereas every other Matoran will slow down.)

Long story short:

Finished:

- Map Editor

- Map loading from editors

- Units loading from editors

- Map manipulation <-- took me forever to finish this

- Basic terrain types

Working on:

- Unit database editor - almost done

- Loading unit characteristics from editor - almost done

To Do:

- Unit Movement (path finding code already written)

- Unit Attacking sprites

- Player Turn / Enemy Turn functionality

- Enemy AI (path finding code already written)

- Add more unit sprites

- Add better-looking / more terrain types

Estimated: 65% completed

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

That's very neat. I do, however suggest that you decrease the difference in movement, relative to terrain types, just a tad. 200% walking distance is a lot, especially if there are a lot of movement points. I'd say perhaps path increasing movement to 150% or so is good, and mud could reduce it to 75%. Just my suggestion. Of course, you can work on this when you get the other tasks off your plate. There is no rush.

bBhcfWO.png

This game is going to be great once this is done! Although I have to agree with other's previous posts in that differences in movement speed could be toned down, because with twice or half as fast could be very frustrating or way overpowered. Otherwise, though, I look forward to future updates!

Hey Nuparu77,

I just became a BZP member, but played your game a few weeks ago when I found the link on BMP(http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/). You did a impressive job on it!I thought I should point out that there are a few typos in the first chapter in case you didn't notice.

Do you have any idea when your next update will be done?

ldd200

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

promo_banner.png

Creating topic for Idd2000, please don't post until he does.

Or he'll eat you

Hey Nuparu77,

I just became a BZP member, but played your game a few weeks ago when I found the link on BMP(http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/). You did a impressive job on it!I thought I should point out that there are a few typos in the first chapter in case you didn't notice.

Do you have any idea when your next update will be done?

ldd200

As I've said, Nuparu is working on this battle game engine, once completed, we will be pumping out a new chapter at a good pace (hopefully :P)

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I posted in the googledoc for issues, but just wanted to make sure the message got across.

I'm excessively interested in the English language, especially grammar, spelling, and sentence structures. I noticed a number of instances where dialogue has incorrect syntax or where the sentence could be better phrased.

The game itself is exceptional, with engaging minigames and a well-thought-out story. I have no experience with coding for games, but friends have told me of the difficulties they have encountered and the time it takes to get things done.

Because of this, I'm sure spelling is a second-grade priority. But if any help at all is required for spellchecking or editing the dialogue (for character interaction and/or cutscenes), please let me know! I'm more than happy to help out.

~OmiChron

Nokama Chameleon

I posted in the googledoc for issues, but just wanted to make sure the message got across.

I'm excessively interested in the English language, especially grammar, spelling, and sentence structures. I noticed a number of instances where dialogue has incorrect syntax or where the sentence could be better phrased.

The game itself is exceptional, with engaging minigames and a well-thought-out story. I have no experience with coding for games, but friends have told me of the difficulties they have encountered and the time it takes to get things done.

Because of this, I'm sure spelling is a second-grade priority. But if any help at all is required for spellchecking or editing the dialogue (for character interaction and/or cutscenes), please let me know! I'm more than happy to help out.

~OmiChron

I should probably know about this, lol, but what google doc? haha :P

Tu2d6W7.jpg

~OmiChron

The one titled to be an 'Issues List' in the Original Post here.

Edited by OmiChron

Nokama Chameleon

~OmiChron

The one titled to be an 'Issues List' in the Original Post here.

Ah, that clears it up. But yea, if you feel interested in finding the (probably numerous) grammar mistakes we've made, go ahead!

Tu2d6W7.jpg

Hmmm... So you are working on sprites... If you want any help on that area, I consider myself a good enough image editor, you know...

Well, to sum up: if you want any sprites, I will gladly help.

Also, I would like to ask if the gukko force will be present in the battle engine. A sort of strike which loads overtime? That would be cool.

And boxors. Who doesn't like boxors?

PS: In the battle engine, you said ta-koran instead of ta-koronan.

Hmmm... So you are working on sprites... If you want any help on that area, I consider myself a good enough image editor, you know...

Also, I would like to ask if the gukko force will be present in the battle engine. A sort of strike which loads overtime? That would be cool.

I'd talk to Nuparu directly if you're interested in helping with sprites, atm i don't know weather or not he needs it. I don't trust myself to play the telephone game here, haha.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I'd talk to Nuparu directly if you're interested in helping with sprites, atm i don't know weather or not he needs it. I don't trust myself to play the telephone game here, haha.

Thank you, I would very much like to help at something, so I can tell my grandchildren someday that I helped in such a great game. No, really, this project is so needed for us bionicle fans...