Hidron Nuva

After 6 months, here's finally a NEW TOPIC :D

I made this drawing last summer, but I got to upload it only today. Here we go!

toamata.jpg

[Click the thumbnail]

This image was inspired by the songs 'Monday' and 'Beyond Monday' by The Glitch Mob, I suggest listening to them.

I wanted to show a different aspect of the Toa Mata. I wanted them to look more aggressive, combative, powerful. I wanted might, motion (probably because I was looking at some parkour videos).

I hope I was able to reach my aim, and of course I hope you like it.

The drawing itself was made with a pencil, then I worked on it with Photoshop.

Got something to say? Comments and criticism are appreciated, please leave a post :)

EDIT (17/06/2013)Not sure anyone will ever see this, still... here's a coloured version I made some time ago :DLINK

Edited by Hidron Nuva

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Veeeeeeeeeery nice thing you've got here. You've really managed to capture the spirit of each of the Mata with the simplified gesture-style. The abstraction is nice, and you eaily got down the "motion" part of the picture, the amount of movement in there is phenominal. I'm especially liking the Kanohi, which have enough detail to tell them apart, but not to the point where they don't fit the rest of their form.

Besides, it was inspired by two amazing songs. the glitch mob woo!

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Good gosh, this is extremely amazing! The dynamics of the characters are simply overwhelming. I mean, even though they're "just" standing around (except for Lewa xD), there's so much expression, movement and yes, also power in their poses.

Also, the masks look incredibly cool. I still wish I could draw them the way you do...

...I wish I could say more, but I don't really know what I could say.

Maybe except for the fact that the arms/shoulders could be a bit more detailed, but that's just a small thing and I doubt it would change that much about the impression the viewer gets... so yeah, IMO you've totally reached your aim. :3

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Wow, great design here! The line is very simple and essential, but the shading gives them strength. Also, their poses kinda reflect everyone's own... "essence". I mean, Pohatu and Onua are both bold and strong, Lewa is the most dynamic of them, Tahu is the hot-headed yet expert leader, Gali is the authoritative female hero, Kopaka is the fierce warrior. Their main traits are here caught in the way they face us, as I see it, and I love that.

Yes, I think you've really reached your objective. ;)

Really awesome. I'd rather not repeat everything everyone's said above. XD

Not sure if I like the "big hand" sort of thing on Tahu- it was a good attempt at making it look like the set, but honestly a regular hand would've looked much better IMO.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Thank you everybody :)

I'm so glad you like it, I feared this style wouldn't be appreciated.

2001 is quite far away, and the sets are getting a bit old. I wanted to make the Toa a little more modern, more actual, because I think in 2013 they still have something to say.

In the original idea each one was of the color of his/her element, and even if I like this version better I could upload the first one.

For the hands I took inspiration from Bionicle: The Game.

As for Tahu's weapon, it's that sort of 'stick' he's holding... it was supposed to be on fire, when I drew this I didn't know I wouldn't color it ^^" EDIT: Thanks Chro for pointing out ;)

Edited by Hidron Nuva

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Honestly the only nitpick I have with this is that Pohatu's arms look like they're bigger than Onua's, which just doesn't make sense to me.

Aside from that, though, this is just absolutely awesome. The rough sketchy style perfectly fits and creates an incredible amount of fluidity and gives a certain amount of natural movement to each Toa, and their Kanohi, while simplified, are also immediately recognizable.

This is one of the most interesting takes I've seen on the Mata. Great job.

NoNoNoNoNonNO

You misunderstood me

You didn't hear what I said

You're not listening LIKE MOST AMERICANS

-Arin Hanson

• 3 weeks later...